fathead

Re: What speakers did you replace?
« Reply #100 on: 18 Jan 2013, 04:35 pm »
 :dance:
« Last Edit: 31 Jul 2013, 12:18 pm by fathead »

rohrej

« Reply #101 on: 4 Apr 2013, 01:42 am »
I replaced a pair of Yamaha NS-777 speakers with Supercharged SongTowers.  No comparison!  I thought I would miss the bass (the quantity, not the quality) but even that isn't the case, the SongTowers sound great full-range in my space!

Prez16

« Reply #102 on: 4 Apr 2013, 05:28 pm »
I am planning to upgrade my Aperion Grand Towers with Salk SoundScape 8's.  Has anyone listened to both? can someone tell me how they should compare? Thank you

MikeC78

« Reply #103 on: 10 Apr 2013, 06:09 am »
Replacing Polk LSi15's with SCST's w/ W16 driver upgrade.  I'll post pics once I receive them! :D  They will be in a satin black finish.  The suspense is killing me, since I bought these without hearing them.

Austin08

« Reply #104 on: 12 Apr 2013, 10:21 pm »
I am planning to upgrade my Aperion Grand Towers with Salk SoundScape 8's.  Has anyone listened to both? can someone tell me how they should compare? Thank you

You should start a new seperated thread/topic. That way you got more respone.

As far as SS8s performance. I am very happy with them. That is saying a lot since all of my ex-speakers were considered top performer by others.
I have never had a chance to listening to Aperion so no comments here.

Ace Deprave

« Reply #105 on: 14 Apr 2013, 11:11 pm »
Replacing Polk LSi15's with SCST's w/ W16 driver upgrade.  I'll post pics once I receive them! :D  They will be in a satin black finish.  The suspense is killing me, since I bought these without hearing them.

I too am replacing Polks (RT12's circa 1995) with SCSTs with the W16 upgrade!

HerculePirate

« Reply #106 on: 5 May 2013, 04:35 pm »
To give a very different spin to the thread.
I did replace my TacT M2150XDM and Salk HT3's with Genelec 8260A's.

You can have look at my gallery for a few pics.

Thanks

HP

Stunami

« Reply #107 on: 3 Jun 2013, 10:11 pm »
HT3 will be replacing my Magnepan 2.7 QRs.  Deposit ready to go in. :P

Stunami

« Reply #108 on: 13 Jul 2013, 08:47 pm »
Correction.  Moving to the SS8 now

MukAudio

« Reply #109 on: 20 Aug 2013, 05:28 am »
I originally sold a 5.0 setup of Paradigm Studio 100s, a CC-570, and a pair of ADP-470s to swing a used pair of HT2-TLs or HT3s in early 2010.  Things didn't work out and I've been waiting for the right time ever since.

Anyway, I just sold Paradigm Signature S2s and have a used pair of HT3s on their way.  I can't wait to join the Salk family!

Mark

mg8

• Roll Away the Dew
« Reply #110 on: 14 Sep 2013, 04:50 am »
I did a complete system rebuild.  The Veracity ST's and Modwright KWI-200 were purchased based on reviews, no first hand experience.  After a year or so of ownership, I sold Sonus Faber Elipsa, ARC REF75, Bel Canto DAC/PRE 3.5 vb mk2 and replaced with the Veracity ST and a Modwright KWI-200 with Phono and DAC.  So many firsts here: MTM transmission line, RAAL, SEAS W16, and integrated amp.  Everything is burned in except the amp (180 hours only) but I really like what I hear form the Salks (and the Modwright).  The RAAL tweeters were unfamiliar to me and I would have previously said that I'm a paper/natural fiber cone driver kinda guy.  I generally shy away for the B&W type of sound as I think the metal and diamond tweeters are too bright and color the natural tones.  I appreciate them and think they are very good speakers - just not my flavor.  Happily, the RAAL is articulate and natural.
Long story short - I am very happy the choices.  So far, I have found the Veracity ST's play a wider range of music very well than the Elipsas.  The combo of REF75 and Elipsas deliver a midrange performance that few speakers can match (in any characteristic).  As you can tell, I wanted a smaller footprint with high performance and fewer "boxes".  I think the RAAL delivers a solid presentation and the Seas W16's really deliver more punch than the Elipsas could (in my space).  The W16's are quite surprising actually and they hold together fairly well at higher SPL's.  I have been told my amp and these W16's take a bit longer than some of their peers to "burn in".  Based on what I hear, that continued goodness will exceed my expectations.  I was warned that the RAAL is too fast for the woofers.  I have learned this is not a concern and this may be an antiquated concern from several years ago. The RAAL is a really non-fatiguing and accurate high-frequency performance.  I feel the PRAT and coherence is very good.  I have always like narrow baffle speakers as they give a less invasive presence.  I can recognize more of these speakers character as the narrow baffle allows them to be unobtrusive at distances further than I normally have speakers off the back wall. Letting these speakers "breathe" improves the image but they sounded good at 18" as well (14'x19.5' room).  They seem to do well in a broad range of locations and are not "touchy" about placement.  I haven't done the final laser level placement yet but they are 25in from the back wall, 6.5ft a part (at the tweeters) and 9.5ft to the listening position.
I did also have my Mac Mini upgraded by Mojo Audio and my Oppo BDP-95 by EVS while the Amp was being built.  These changes also contribute to  the narrow gap of this system and a much more costly predecessor.  I am impressed with the Salk speakers and would encourage anyone to "make and effort" to hear the Veracity ST if they want a great performing, high value, high quality, small form factor floor standing speaker.  I really can't remember the last time I hear a speaker this size perform this well. I am glad I did!

Austin08

« Reply #111 on: 15 Sep 2013, 06:37 pm »
I did a complete system rebuild.  The Veracity ST's and Modwright KWI-200 were purchased based on reviews, no first hand experience.  After a year or so of ownership, I sold Sonus Faber Elipsa, ARC REF75, Bel Canto DAC/PRE 3.5 vb mk2 and replaced with the Veracity ST and a Modwright KWI-200 with Phono and DAC.  So many firsts here: MTM transmission line, RAAL, SEAS W16, and integrated amp.  Everything is burned in except the amp (180 hours only) but I really like what I hear form the Salks (and the Modwright).  The RAAL tweeters were unfamiliar to me and I would have previously said that I'm a paper/natural fiber cone driver kinda guy.  I generally shy away for the B&W type of sound as I think the metal and diamond tweeters are too bright and color the natural tones.  I appreciate them and think they are very good speakers - just not my flavor.  Happily, the RAAL is articulate and natural.
Long story short - I am very happy the choices.  So far, I have found the Veracity ST's play a wider range of music very well than the Elipsas.  The combo of REF75 and Elipsas deliver a midrange performance that few speakers can match (in any characteristic).  As you can tell, I wanted a smaller footprint with high performance and fewer "boxes".  I think the RAAL delivers a solid presentation and the Seas W16's really deliver more punch than the Elipsas could (in my space).  The W16's are quite surprising actually and they hold together fairly well at higher SPL's.  I have been told my amp and these W16's take a bit longer than some of their peers to "burn in".  Based on what I hear, that continued goodness will exceed my expectations.  I was warned that the RAAL is too fast for the woofers.  I have learned this is not a concern and this may be an antiquated concern from several years ago. The RAAL is a really non-fatiguing and accurate high-frequency performance.  I feel the PRAT and coherence is very good.  I have always like narrow baffle speakers as they give a less invasive presence.  I can recognize more of these speakers character as the narrow baffle allows them to be unobtrusive at distances further than I normally have speakers off the back wall. Letting these speakers "breathe" improves the image but they sounded good at 18" as well (14'x19.5' room).  They seem to do well in a broad range of locations and are not "touchy" about placement.  I haven't done the final laser level placement yet but they are 25in from the back wall, 6.5ft a part (at the tweeters) and 9.5ft to the listening position.
I did also have my Mac Mini upgraded by Mojo Audio and my Oppo BDP-95 by EVS while the Amp was being built.  These changes also contribute to  the narrow gap of this system and a much more costly predecessor.  I am impressed with the Salk speakers and would encourage anyone to "make and effort" to hear the Veracity ST if they want a great performing, high value, high quality, small form factor floor standing speaker.  I really can't remember the last time I hear a speaker this size perform this well. I am glad I did!

Great write up. Could u tease us with some pictures, please.

mg8

• Roll Away the Dew
« Reply #112 on: 4 Oct 2013, 11:27 pm »
From this: SF Elpsa, (demo'ing s a few amps, Ayre M-XR, ARC REF75 and against my ARC REF110: bought the REF75)

To this: Salk Veracity ST in Chestnut burl and a Modwiright KWI-200 w/DAC and Phono, Mojo Mac Mini and EVS mod OPPO 95

Other stuff:  Blue Circle BC6000 and FX-2, Oyaide R-0 and R-1 duplexes, Oyaide RCA and duplex covers, P/C-079 with Acrolink 4030-ii a/c cables, AQ Everest Speaker Cable (covered with Black tech flex), AQ Eagle eye dig coax to the oppo, AQ Coffee USB, Atomic Audio Mac Platform, Custom 2" walnut shelves  from Timbernation (2nd on the way for the top of the Salamander).  Experimenting with the WA Quantum cable chips.  Very happy with the full change out - the Veracity ST speakers are excellent!

Austin08

« Reply #113 on: 5 Oct 2013, 12:37 am »
Mg8,

That is a big change you got there. Though, the SF was supposed to be a better speaker..... :icon_lol:

mg8

• Roll Away the Dew
« Reply #114 on: 5 Oct 2013, 01:15 am »
Mg8,

That is a big change you got there. Though, the SF was supposed to be a better speaker..... :icon_lol:

The SF Elipsa is an excellent speaker.  I appreciate what each does, greatly.  The Salk is a better fit for my space and I am pretty sure it won't be the last pair of Salks for me and there are many high-end brands that I won't buy again.  I would buy Sonus Faber again though. I'd really like to hear the Silk verses the Guarneri Evolution.  It is very easy to love a speaker like the Veracity ST: sonic performance, custom options, build quality, and 1/5th of the price. :thumb: 

robcentola

« Reply #115 on: 14 Oct 2013, 11:28 am »
thought this would be a good thread for my first post.  my father was the head recording engineer for RCA in Chicago in the early 70s.  he would take me to the studios at night when he had unfinished work. i used to play around with instruments left in the studios, mostly drums, with kettles being my favorite to pound on. the coolest thing i remember was the lathe room, where he would cut albums to take home to my older sister. sadly, she has given all of them away years ago.. artists like chicago, alice cooper and the guess who. ebay would have loved those one of a kind vinyls. what does that have to do with the speakers i am replacing? well, JBLs were all they had in the RCA studios at that time and my father always told me those were the ones to get when i got older and started buying my own equipment. i remember enjoying their sound in the studios. he would cue up some music off the tascam reels and give me a soldering iron with some wire to create things. my first real job at the age of 16 was used to save up for my first speakers & electronics. i bought a technics integrated, turntable and a pair of JBL L19s. i have had the L19s ever since. they are 36 years old and i still love the way they sound, especially in the mid and high freq..  a lot of non-audiophiles have told me my current stereo with an EAD Sig-8, parasound hca-855 amp and oppo 83SE is by far the best they have ever heard. i know better, but the JBLs still sound smooth and sweet.  its time to see what a modern speaker design sounds like, so after much reading, and a little listening (B&W, PSB and Maggies) i have ended up here with an order for a pair of SongTowers.  I hope Jim and all his forum followers are not all talk. i wont like something just because i researched it and bought it... so it must be the greatest deal in speaker-dom. nevertheless, i have a great feeling about those boxes that will be heading my way in a few weeks.

We're getting out ST's at the same time! Ha. It's crazy buying something from reading online with no audition, but I'm more than confident that we made the right choice! I auditioned the same three you did too.

Mudslide

« Reply #116 on: 14 Oct 2013, 01:37 pm »
thought this would be a good thread for my first post.  my father was the head recording engineer for RCA in Chicago in the early 70s.  he would take me to the studios at night when he had unfinished work. i used to play around with instruments left in the studios, mostly drums, with kettles being my favorite to pound on. the coolest thing i remember was the lathe room, where he would cut albums to take home to my older sister. sadly, she has given all of them away years ago.. artists like chicago, alice cooper and the guess who. ebay would have loved those one of a kind vinyls. what does that have to do with the speakers i am replacing? well, JBLs were all they had in the RCA studios at that time and my father always told me those were the ones to get when i got older and started buying my own equipment. i remember enjoying their sound in the studios. he would cue up some music off the tascam reels and give me a soldering iron with some wire to create things. my first real job at the age of 16 was used to save up for my first speakers & electronics. i bought a technics integrated, turntable and a pair of JBL L19s. i have had the L19s ever since. they are 36 years old and i still love the way they sound, especially in the mid and high freq..  a lot of non-audiophiles have told me my current stereo with an EAD Sig-8, parasound hca-855 amp and oppo 83SE is by far the best they have ever heard. i know better, but the JBLs still sound smooth and sweet.  its time to see what a modern speaker design sounds like, so after much reading, and a little listening (B&W, PSB and Maggies) i have ended up here with an order for a pair of SongTowers.  I hope Jim and all his forum followers are not all talk. i wont like something just because i researched it and bought it... so it must be the greatest deal in speaker-dom. nevertheless, i have a great feeling about those boxes that will be heading my way in a few weeks.

Fear not.  Take it from a lifelong lover of JBL's, and a constant owner of them since 1968, you will be THRILLED with the Salks.  Play your current speakers side by side with the Salks and see what you think.  BTW, I still own a variety of JBL's...but they'd be gone in an instant if I could afford to replace any of them with Jim's or Dennis' speakers...many of which I've auditioned...including A/B'ing against a variety of JBL floorstanding and shelf mounted models.

Enjoy your new toys!   :D

SCompRacer

« Reply #117 on: 18 Nov 2013, 05:04 pm »
SoundScape 8's replaced InnerSound Eros MK III's powered by InnerSound MK II active crossover bass amp and Sanders ESL amp. I had these for over 7 years and really enjoyed them. The small sweet spot was the only complaint I received when I hosted music meets. It was musical chairs to listen to your selection in the sweet spot.

mr_bill

« Reply #118 on: 18 Nov 2013, 05:05 pm »
I've heard the Kayas and talk about a small sweet spot - but in that spot was a definite wow!

Kinger

« Reply #119 on: 18 Nov 2013, 08:42 pm »
I like your panel stands SCompRacer.  So do those actually balance on there without any fear of tip over or do you also have them secured to the wall somehow?