Well tempered and Townshend siesmic sink

Piperb

Well tempered and Townshend siesmic sink
« on: 14 Jun 2014, 07:54 pm »
Has anybody tried using one of the Townshend siesmics with older WT tables, particularly the reference table.  For those who own one of these tables what do you use as a support?

Thanks

rob400

• Versalex and Audio Note for the rest
Re: Well tempered and Townshend siesmic sink
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jun 2014, 08:42 pm »
Baltic Birch Ply, unbeatable IMO.

roscoeiii

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jun 2014, 09:34 pm »
Turntable shelf could also be a good idea

threadkiller

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jun 2014, 04:45 am »
I had a Ref once, used it on a Target wall shelf, various boards underneath table. Agreed, Baltic birch great , also a shelf called Neuance.  Fabu!  No first hand knowledge of Townsend. Some owners were putting them on granite/ slate. I thought was horrible. Lol. What do I know.

sebrof

« Reply #4 on: 6 Dec 2014, 04:03 am »
My new Amadeus MKII is much more susceptible to footfall skipping than my old Rega deck, so I made a shelf/isolation platform for it. It's from Baltic Birch plywood with 4 sorbathane pads under the single board. Seems not to harm the sound and also improves (does not fix) the footfall issue.

threadkiller

« Reply #5 on: 6 Dec 2014, 04:41 am »
Hard to tell from your photo- you may have too many layers...hence the continued foot fall.
You might also talk to WTL about their earlier platform with squish pads, that went under the original Amadeus that had 3 feet.
Sometimes what it sits on makes a big dif.
In your photo I think I'm objecting to that dark board sitting on the lighter stained board... Try without..
Just use your one Baltic with squish underneath.
Or try different material for the squish.
Good luck...

sebrof

« Reply #6 on: 6 Dec 2014, 11:44 am »
Hard to tell from your photo- you may have too many layers...hence the continued foot fall.
You might also talk to WTL about their earlier platform with squish pads, that went under the original Amadeus that had 3 feet.
Sometimes what it sits on makes a big dif.
In your photo I think I'm objecting to that dark board sitting on the lighter stained board... Try without..
Just use your one Baltic with squish underneath.
Or try different material for the squish.
Good luck...
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll give them a try.

FYI - The light stained board (soon to be painted so it looks nicer) is a replacement for the flimsy ~1/4" board that came with the rack. On top of that is two 3/4" BB Ply boards glued together. Then the 4 sorbathane pads, then another 3/4" BB Ply boards.

I also plan to fill the hollow legs of the rack with lead shot or something.

rob400

« Reply #7 on: 6 Dec 2014, 02:44 pm »
I love Baltic Birch as a support sebrof but putting sorbathane under the board didn't float my boat. Dull in comparison to solid hardwood cones for example. If possible look at your floor stability to cure footfall issues. You rack will always be compromised until you do....
« Last Edit: 7 Dec 2014, 01:29 pm by rob400 »

threadkiller

« Reply #8 on: 6 Dec 2014, 11:10 pm »
Good points, Rob.
I also don't like the double board glued thing... It may seem counterintuitive, yet think of it like a big piece of wood furniture, like a credenza, is generally horrible for getting your gear to sound good.... it can also be the worst for footfall vibrations.....
So do experiment more..... You're not out of the woods yet....

sebrof

« Reply #9 on: 7 Dec 2014, 05:24 am »
Yes, I'll be experimenting more tomorrow. Since I just got the table I have several things to work out and fine tune so I'll be busy with it.
Also, my dealer has a double wall-mount shelf (a shelf for the table and a shelf below that for phono preamp) for $130 which seems like a good price, so I may try that in the near future.

On a side note - This is a really great sounding table, so much better than what I had before it's really surprising. (Rega P3 with 24V motor upgrade, Groove Tracer subplatter, Groove Tracer Delrin platter)

threadkiller

« Reply #10 on: 7 Dec 2014, 04:04 pm »
That's good to hear about the wall shelf... For most footfall problems that seems the best and easiest option.... sometimes one can spend a lot of time and money on diy and not achieve anything...

Glad you love the table... It is a treasure...

rob400

« Reply #11 on: 7 Dec 2014, 06:14 pm »
Charlie would you agree that wall shelves are much more effective mounted on solid walls as opposed to a non load bearing timber walls?  We "dot and dab" plasterboard onto our solid walls in the UK so when I used a wall shelf I looked for a point over the adhesive to secure it. Minimal structural vibration. Good performance.....

threadkiller

« Reply #12 on: 8 Dec 2014, 01:09 am »
Oh most definitely.... Or else one would want to put a brace board attached to your beams- here called joists-
on the horizontal and then mount the wall mount to that.  You could dive off of mine- at least if you were of a certain weight...

Piperb

« Reply #13 on: 17 Dec 2014, 08:50 pm »
well I can confirm that the siesmic and Well Tempered is not a good combination, juts makes it bright with no drive