T.H.E. Show

Brettio

T.H.E. Show
« on: 9 Jun 2019, 10:37 pm »
It looks like Klaus nailed it again!  Wish I had attended. 

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2019/06/09/must-see-rooms-day-three-t-h-e-show-2019/

Brett

SoCalWJS

Re: T.H.E. Show
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jun 2019, 04:03 pm »
It looks like Klaus nailed it again!  Wish I had attended. 

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2019/06/09/must-see-rooms-day-three-t-h-e-show-2019/

Brett
He did nail it. Again.

When I initially popped in, the room looked awkward with the speakers very close to the side walls, but well away from the Front wall. Klaus had placed GIK Diffusors immediately in front of the speakers and against the wall. It looked like they were very close to touching but there was a small gap. I think those diffusors are about 6" deep, so I would guess that the speakers were 8-10" from the side walls. I thought it would be a challenge to get good sound.

Boy was I wrong. Said Hi! to Klaus (along with other members of the NorCal AC Circle who I hung out with - Cheeseboy, Soundofrockets, and another friend) and chatted briefly about the difficulties this year's room presented. Managed to snag the front center listening chair as Klaus put a vinyl copy of The Door's LA Woman on the TT and played the title track. A bit too nearfield for my usual preference, but....

[insert jawdrop emoji]

Wow. The depth referenced in the above link can not be adequately explained w/o being there. Palpable presence in between and well behind the speakers for both the vocals and the drums. Soundstage was incredible. Listened to the whole track while the (full) room made comments about the depth and the recording techniques used to record this Album and Song - they were very evident.

**Side note -When I go into rooms at these shows, I tend to notice a few things quickly. if they get the first one right, I stick around to see if they got the second one right, and then the third. In order:

1) Tone, which may include choice of crossover point. Are the singers too "Chesty" or "thin"?
2) Soundstage. Are there clearly defined points across the room between (and possibly outside of) the Speaker locations for the instruments and the vocals, or are they blurred and indistinct. May include space between each of those.
3) Depth. This seems to be the hard one at most shows. If the first two are in place, and then there is depth - Magic. I just want to sit and listen. So does everybody else.

I went back to the room several times both Saturday & Sunday. Packed every time. Difficult to keep the room cool because there were so many people, even though Klaus usually opened the sliding glass door to the balcony between tracks (thank goodness for cool air coming in off of Long Beach Harbor just a few blocks away).

Was it the best sounding room at the show? No. I enjoyed several others, but at ten times the cost (or more. Considerably more in some cases  :o). The fact that I enjoyed it almost as mush as rooms with systems that hovered at or above the 6 figure price point singles this room out from the others that I liked.

Once again this is INCREDIBLY good sound at a price point that far more people could manage to justify and spend. (I think he said everything but the front end for about $7500)(Any of the rooms I though better featured single products that were 5-10x that....)

Thanks for all this wonderful music making stuff Klaus.  :thumb:

AlTran

« Reply #2 on: 11 Jun 2019, 08:42 pm »

Klaus finished the whole thing by himself.

Brettio

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jun 2019, 03:09 am »
Great shots AlTran!  Did Klaus use your Liquids for the show? 

AlTran

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jun 2019, 03:57 am »
No the room is too small for the Liquids. We used the Kismet monitors which sounds much better than last year.

MONKEYWICKEDMONKEY

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jun 2019, 04:06 pm »
No the room is too small for the Liquids. We used the Kismet monitors which sounds much better than last year.

Kismet Monitors are on my short list of speakers.

Audio72

« Reply #6 on: 12 Jun 2019, 04:49 pm »
Klaus finished the whole thing by himself.

WOW, no wonder he was a zombie Sunday morning.  :o

Richard

Audio72

« Reply #7 on: 12 Jun 2019, 04:52 pm »

The system was AMAZING.

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #8 on: 13 Jun 2019, 02:16 pm »
Yup...was good.  Very good indeed...sold speakers up the yazooooo.  Room was somewhat difficult,  but not overly so as in other shows.  Didn't have a wall directly behind the seats,  so that made it really easy with standing waves...the room was also quite long,  so I was able to get them out wayyy into the room.  Again,  standing waves from the back and the front were a non-issue...left side of the room behaved nicely,  just the right side was a royal pain in the ass....balcony door,  shitty wall material itself, and different to the other walls btw,  and, of course,  the Ac unit and big duct...so,  it was just a matter of situating both,  speakers and the diffusors and absorbers literally half an inch by half an inch...you'll need to know your system,  have the patience and some experience,  and of course,  you have to have good ears to start out with...Kevin and Kenny (in the pics ..btw,  got superb help from Allen and all of his buddies...big shoutout !!!)  helped me in this regard,  so I was able to finish up the placements within 3-4 hours.  Finally,  once everything fell into lpace,  you have to go into the amp and bias the amps in small increments.  All of these steps are aimed towards the big picture,  duplicating the full 100 % potential that I know the system has.  Within room limitations, etc.  at least try to get at close as possible,  duh !!!!

So yes,  I was able to get at least 90 - 95 % of where I really wanted to be,  which is very good.  results ?   You had to sit down and listen to it.  And yes,  i did set it up for one chair only in a nearfield application again....not just the soundstage and tonality benefits from this,  but it also takes some of the residual reflections out of the equation.    Again..results ???    You had to be there to believe the 3 d and depth perspective in that particular room...it was awesome !!!!

And yup,  Zombie is right...between some $#%^#$&(  Calamari and neighbors from hell in my hotel in beautiful Seal Beach (shoutout)  I had about an hour sleep Saturday night....fuck.  And the dinner was Sunday night.  Allen went all out again, pig, duck, and 6 other dishes....oh hell,  torpedoes be damned.  Let's just say I slept really,  really well Sunday night,  heheheheheeeee

So, thanks for everybody coming in and really,  really listening ...

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #9 on: 13 Jun 2019, 05:33 pm »
   As I have always said Klauss your gear is KABOOM for the buck period end of story.

charles

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #10 on: 20 Jun 2019, 08:35 am »
There was one very cool thing happening...I had a group of maybe 12,  15 guys and we listened to Guantanamera  off the Weavers reunion concert....afterwards pretty much everybody had one anecdote or the other about this song....when playing again,  most started to hum along with the song...so,  together we all decided to fuck up and startle anybody new coming into the room....I hit pause,  waited for new listeners,  restarted the song,  and the whole room broke out into a loud chorus to the song....the reactions and faces of the "new guys"  were priceless....everybody had fun...

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #11 on: 20 Jun 2019, 04:09 pm »
  BTW what restaurant was that ?

charles