What jazz ALBUM are you currently listening to?

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
Re: What jazz ALBUM are you currently listening to?
« Reply #9960 on: 19 Feb 2015, 12:10 am »
Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim

Frank's first foray into Bossa Nova, and it works. Probably because it's mostly Jobim's works. Still, Frank is very understated here, and with each playing of this it grows on me.

From Allmusic guide - Supported by a relaxed, sympathetic arrangement of muted brass, simmering percussion, soft strings, and Jobim's lilting guitar, Sinatra turns in an especially noteworthy performance; he has never sounded so subtle, underplaying every line he delivers and showcasing vocal techniques that he never had displayed before.

aragon63

• Dorian, Lydian, Phrygian,Jazz Minor
« Reply #9961 on: 19 Feb 2015, 12:33 am »

Bunny Brunel
Invent Your Future / 2015

CactusBob

• < Desert Rat >
« Reply #9962 on: 19 Feb 2015, 12:52 am »
^^^^  Bunny is incredible. I need to get some of his stuff.

Next a Rollins favorite for sure!

Sonny Rollins ‎– East Broadway Run Down

with Elvin Jones, Jimmy Garrison and Freddie Hubbard on the title cut.

Recorded 9 May, 1966

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #9963 on: 19 Feb 2015, 12:57 am »
Sinatra At The Sands, with Count Basie & the Orchestra   

That's a good album for both sound, and judging a system, a good stereo image will also impart the dynamics of the room that are captured on this.

Just so happens I put it on last night but only got thru side 1, too much surface noise, I keep forgetting to run it thru the RCM.  :duh:

Was thinking of you et when I pulled that off the HD. You'd posted it a while back, though I hadn't checked for samples. Still finding gems there I haven't heard, and that's definitely one.  :thumb:     JD 8)

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #9964 on: 19 Feb 2015, 01:24 am »
Here's a little Bunny for you CB   , with some other fine folks. This was a tip from Lonewolf.................

Tony MacAlpine, Bunny Brunel, Dennis Chambers, Brian Auger:    Cab 2     '01

CactusBob

• < Desert Rat >
« Reply #9965 on: 19 Feb 2015, 01:30 am »
That last Rollins album was too short! Need to fix that.

Sonny Rollins  ~  The Bridge

with Jim Hall, Bob Cranshaw and Ben Riley

CactusBob

• < Desert Rat >
« Reply #9966 on: 19 Feb 2015, 01:31 am »
Here's a little Bunny for you CB   , with some other fine folks. This was a tip from Lonewolf.................

Tony MacAlpine, Bunny Brunel, Dennis Chambers, Brian Auger:    Cab 2     '01

You funny bunny you  :icon_lol:

jazzyguytheone

• I LOVE JAZZ
« Reply #9967 on: 19 Feb 2015, 01:33 am »
Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim

Frank's first foray into Bossa Nova, and it works. Probably because it's mostly Jobim's works. Still, Frank is very understated here, and with each playing of this it grows on me.

From Allmusic guide - Supported by a relaxed, sympathetic arrangement of muted brass, simmering percussion, soft strings, and Jobim's lilting guitar, Sinatra turns in an especially noteworthy performance; he has never sounded so subtle, underplaying every line he delivers and showcasing vocal techniques that he never had displayed before.

I guess you dig him.i'm sorry that I have to differ. He sounds stilted as if he is unfamiliar with the material  Jobim stated that after this he would not make any english type songs.He never did until his dying day. I'm sorry to differ with you. By the way I dig him too. Most of the times he is casual and relaxed but on these tracks to me he sounds strained.

jazzyguytheone

• I LOVE JAZZ
« Reply #9968 on: 19 Feb 2015, 02:09 pm »
LEE MORGAN    THE SIDEWINDER

jazzyguytheone

• I LOVE JAZZ
« Reply #9969 on: 19 Feb 2015, 02:12 pm »
HANK MOBLEY     WORKOUT

jazzyguytheone

• I LOVE JAZZ
« Reply #9970 on: 19 Feb 2015, 02:21 pm »
J.R.MONTEROSE    STRAIGHT AHEAD 

jazzyguytheone

• I LOVE JAZZ
« Reply #9971 on: 19 Feb 2015, 02:26 pm »
JIMMY MCGRIFF   GREATEST HITS

jazzyguytheone

• I LOVE JAZZ
« Reply #9972 on: 19 Feb 2015, 02:30 pm »
JACK MCDUFF    THE HONEYDRIPPER

jazzyguytheone

• I LOVE JAZZ
« Reply #9973 on: 19 Feb 2015, 02:35 pm »
BROTHER JACK MCDUFF   THAT'S THE WAY I FEEL ABOUT IT

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #9974 on: 19 Feb 2015, 02:43 pm »
I guess you dig him.i'm sorry that I have to differ. He sounds stilted as if he is unfamiliar with the material  Jobim stated that after this he would not make any english type songs.He never did until his dying day. I'm sorry to differ with you. By the way I dig him too. Most of the times he is casual and relaxed but on these tracks to me he sounds strained.

No need to be sorry, that's the beauty of music, we all hear something different. Sinatra a late in life affect for me, I listen more as a tribute to my departed step-father as much as for my own enjoyment. In last 2-3 years picked up a dozen or so titles, mostly from both sides or his transition from Capitol to Reprise.

Diff topic - The Sidewinder a fav as well. I got to Lee Morgan early in my development as a jazz listener - while getting acquainted with Coltrane's Blue Trane, side 2 I think song 2 a slow number, maybe called I'm Old Fashioned That Way, maybe not. Each player takes a solo, I was knocked out by the trumpet. Think to myself 'well that must be Miles', cuz when you're just getting started you think everyone is the only person you know. Read the credits, see a name unknown to me - Lee Morgan: trumpet. Next time I go shopping I grab The Sidewinder without knowing anything about it. Have the 'WOW' moment when I play it. Now have most of his discography. And it all started with Blue Trane.

Asimov

« Reply #9975 on: 19 Feb 2015, 03:30 pm »

The Horace Silver Quintet — The Cape Verdean Blues

jazzyguytheone

• I LOVE JAZZ
« Reply #9976 on: 19 Feb 2015, 04:59 pm »
No need to be sorry, that's the beauty of music, we all hear something different. Sinatra a late in life affect for me, I listen more as a tribute to my departed step-father as much as for my own enjoyment. In last 2-3 years picked up a dozen or so titles, mostly from both sides or his transition from Capitol to Reprise.

Diff topic - The Sidewinder a fav as well. I got to Lee Morgan early in my development as a jazz listener - while getting acquainted with Coltrane's Blue Trane, side 2 I think song 2 a slow number, maybe called I'm Old Fashioned That Way, maybe not. Each player takes a solo, I was knocked out by the trumpet. Think to myself 'well that must be Miles', cuz when you're just getting started you think everyone is the only person you know. Read the credits, see a name unknown to me - Lee Morgan: trumpet. Next time I go shopping I grab The Sidewinder without knowing anything about it. Have the 'WOW' moment when I play it. Now have most of his discography. And it all
Agreed,We all hear music a different way depending on our tastes.

jazzyguytheone

• I LOVE JAZZ
« Reply #9977 on: 19 Feb 2015, 05:13 pm »
MARION MCPARTLAND     AT THE HICKORY HOUSE

jazzyguytheone

• I LOVE JAZZ
« Reply #9978 on: 19 Feb 2015, 05:17 pm »
MARION MCPARTLAND'S HICKORY HOUSE TRIO A REPRISE RECORDING

jazzyguytheone

• I LOVE JAZZ
« Reply #9979 on: 19 Feb 2015, 05:28 pm »
Recorded live in Santa Monica in 1972... A Pablo recording, nicely done as usual!

A 3 LP set, without edits...

/quote] I got the album.It was on CD. That is good enough for me.i tried to get it on record but it was not available.But i have it!!!!I haven't opened it yet.