What jazz ALBUM are you currently listening to?

Asimov

Re: What jazz ALBUM are you currently listening to?
« Reply #9000 on: 16 Jan 2015, 04:58 pm »
Jim, I absolutely agree! 

So in that vein (I just hope I don't overshare or bore you with mine), probably the top musical experience I've had, although I'm not sure it was jazzy enough for here, was after an African drumming workshop with the ne plus ultra of African drumming, Mamady Keita (he brought West African rhythms to Europe, America, and the rest of the world.  While not widely known or appreciated, the poly-rhythms of W. Africa significantly influenced Latin, Afro-Cuban, jazz, and rock music).  Mamady travels the world putting on workshops with intermediate through professional drummers, and the minimum requirement was to have studied W. African drumming for a year.  I'd only been drumming for a few months, but was passionate and progressing well enough that my teacher, one of Mamady's students, arranged for me to attend the weekend workshop. 

I was in awe.  I'd seen his DVDs, listened to his CDs, and here I was in a group of 35 drummers of all levels (about half of which were pros) with a teacher that spoke very little English.  It was quickly apparent that this guy was an amazing teacher, as he could take 35 people to their breaking point (just a bit beyond, actually) even though everyone was at a different level.  And we were smiling.  I mean contagious, high energy, flying high smiling.  While we were failing.  I'd hear and see riffs that I could barely comprehend, and 15 minutes later I was playing them.  Anyway, this is just the long intro to my out-of-body music experience.

The workshop was 4 hours of instruction Friday night, 8 hours Saturday, and 6 hours Sunday.  After Friday I was exhausted and exhilarated at the same time.  Saturday took it to a whole new level, and Saturday night there was a party.  The workshop was hosted by a local music store.  The party host was the music shop owner's sister, who is married to a Cuban rumbero (convoluted enough?).  Well I didn't know it, but I was at my first full-on rhumba.  And it was smokin'!  After getting some food and drink, somebody started playing clack-clack, clack-clack-clack on the claves and the conga and cajon players started.  Somebody started singing in Spanish and the crowd warmed up.  After a couple rhumbas, Mamady was invited to join and he WAILED.  People were dancing, and tapping.  The congas were going, somebody was playing a guiro, and we had a full-on jam session of related but very different styles.  It was magic.  The music went on until 2 or 3.  I left as things were winding down and slept until noon--the best and latest sleep in years.  I staggered down stairs and my wife just smiled and said, "you're still smiling!"

The last 6 hours that Sunday were tough.  My hands were sore.  My brain was full.  But I had a serious grin on my face.

Video Sample of Mamady

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkvQoG3wDPQ

Great story .......
Love to hear all these stories.
Thanks for sharing.

Asimov

« Reply #9001 on: 16 Jan 2015, 05:11 pm »
My most expensive LP yet arrived and this is the debut...

Ray Brown
Soular Energy

After 2 of 4 sides, entirely worth the $50!  The best recorded album I've heard.  Period.  Ok, so I'm not a huge fan of piano/bass/drum trios, but the bass playing on this album is absolutely amazing, plus I had no idea my speakers went so low, and there are some nice bop tunes with guitar and sax to break up the trios.  There's actually a warning sticker from Stan Ricker on the the outer sleeve that the bass could cause tracking problems.  Not so for my WTT and Lyra Delos--just sweet tuneful bass.  Highly recommended!

AllMusic Review and Samples

Now listening after long time .... indeed it's one of the best recorded album and also the music is superb.
Thanks for reminding me of this gem.

Asimov

« Reply #9002 on: 16 Jan 2015, 05:33 pm »

Shoji Yokouchi Trio — Greensleeves

Recording quality and music is superb.
Highly recommended.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #9003 on: 16 Jan 2015, 06:27 pm »

Weather Report:     self titled debut      '71

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #9004 on: 16 Jan 2015, 07:13 pm »
Hank Mobley - Mobley's Message

Asimov

« Reply #9005 on: 16 Jan 2015, 07:47 pm »

Jeremy Pelt — Face Forward, Jeremy

rockadanny

« Reply #9006 on: 16 Jan 2015, 11:30 pm »
Miles Davis - In Stockholm 1960 Complete

Four-disc box of complete recorded version of two Miles Davis Quintet concerts recorded seven months apart in Stockholm, Sweden in 1960.
Once concert with John Coltrane, the other with Sonny Stitt.
On Dragon (Sweden).

CactusBob

• < Desert Rat >
« Reply #9007 on: 17 Jan 2015, 12:05 am »
Howdy Gents!

Rough week! I got up at 4 am to go into work a couple hours, then I was on a Federal Grand Jury all week and I was sick with the flu the whole time. Feeling better now! This is just what I needed. TGIF!

Weather Report  ~  Night Passage

Columbia

CactusBob

• < Desert Rat >
« Reply #9008 on: 17 Jan 2015, 12:42 am »
Arthur Blythe  ~  Lenox Avenue Breakdown

Alto Saxophone, Arthur Blythe; Flute, James Newton; Guitar, James "Blood" Ulmer; Bass, Cecil McBee; Drums, Jack DeJohnette; Percussion, Guillermo Franco

Columbia

jazzyguytheone

• I LOVE JAZZ
« Reply #9009 on: 17 Jan 2015, 01:33 am »
RAY BROWN AND JAZZ CELLO

jazzyguytheone

• I LOVE JAZZ
« Reply #9010 on: 17 Jan 2015, 01:35 am »
RAY BROWN AND MILT JACKSON

jazzyguytheone

• I LOVE JAZZ
« Reply #9011 on: 17 Jan 2015, 01:37 am »
RAY BROWN BASS HIT

jazzyguytheone

• I LOVE JAZZ
« Reply #9012 on: 17 Jan 2015, 01:38 am »
THIS IS RAY BROWN

CactusBob

• < Desert Rat >
« Reply #9013 on: 17 Jan 2015, 01:43 am »
Throb: Gary Burton

Atlantic, 1969

CactusBob

• < Desert Rat >
« Reply #9014 on: 17 Jan 2015, 02:20 am »
Usually I pull out the "Douglas" pressing for this one. Can't remember the last time I played this version.

Mahavishnu John McLaughlin  ~  My Goal's Beyond

Elecktra Musician

Asimov

« Reply #9015 on: 17 Jan 2015, 03:08 am »

Barney Kessel — Let's Cook!

Asimov

« Reply #9016 on: 17 Jan 2015, 03:31 am »
Howdy Gents!

Rough week! I got up at 4 am to go into work a couple hours, then I was on a Federal Grand Jury all week and I was sick with the flu the whole time. Feeling better now! This is just what I needed. TGIF!

Weather Report  ~  Night Passage

Columbia

Welcome back.
Nice to see you active again.

Asimov

« Reply #9017 on: 17 Jan 2015, 06:06 am »

Kenny Barron — Other Places

ACHiPo

« Reply #9018 on: 17 Jan 2015, 08:06 am »
This is just what I needed. TGIF!

For medicinal purposes  :icon_lol:

Welcome back!

ACHiPo

« Reply #9019 on: 17 Jan 2015, 08:08 am »
RAY BROWN BASS HIT
Jazzy you've got quite the repertoir!