What jazz ALBUM are you currently listening to?

jimdgoulding

Re: What jazz ALBUM are you currently listening to?
« Reply #8400 on: 15 Dec 2014, 08:57 pm »

No Memphis in this one, just very good soul-jazz.
Nat Adderley.  Saw him a couple times with brother Julian/Cannonball and once after Yusef Lateef* joined the line up.  Damn fine group that was.  After Bobby Timmons, pianist Joe Zawinul joined the group and contributed some fine writing.  As had Timmons you bet yer dang skippy.  Think "This Here" on their Live in San Francisco at The Jazz Workshop album (Riverside).  Speakin of Zawinul, Weather Report's "Tail Spinnin" (Columbia) with Wayne Shorter is interesting for this time.  Side two, in particular me thinks.

*Yusef played flute and oboe, too.  Don't think there were many cats playing oboe.
« Last Edit: 15 Dec 2014, 10:58 pm by jimdgoulding »

richidoo

« Reply #8401 on: 15 Dec 2014, 09:22 pm »

rockadanny

« Reply #8402 on: 15 Dec 2014, 09:31 pm »
Nat Adderley.  Saw him a couple times with brother Julian/Cannonball

Very cool Jim. Seems you've seen many great jazz performers.  :thumb:   I am jealous!  :green:
Hat tip to Jim for my next selection ...

jimdgoulding

« Reply #8403 on: 16 Dec 2014, 12:39 am »
Thanks for the shout out, Danny.  Prolly said this before, maybe more than once, I lived a block and a half away from a jazz club in San Francisco where I had lifetime free admission, Both/And, cause I donated a couple dozen albums to the house.  But that didn't include dates as I was rudely reminded the first time I brought one.  The Blackhawk, Miles and George Shearing both recorded there, prolly more, closed shortly after the one time I got to visit.  But, The Jazz Workshop, Sugar Hill (Carmen McRae recorded there and I think I have it), and later Keystone Korner carried on for an extended time and I visited often.  I took my wife to see Horace Silver with a sextet at Keystone Korner on our honeymoon.  I remember her saying that she could appreciate jazz much better live*.  Music venues in any major city I visited for business or pleasure, east or west, got a visit from me.  Stumbled accidently on Ronnie Scott's in London and listened to quintet and a terrific little cabaret featuring South American minstrel players in the St. Germain du Pre section of Paris the one time I went.  Hell, yeah, I recommend it.  I boogied when I was younger and had the scratch.  These days it's just me and my tune room and that's ok.  I love my system and my collection keeps me involved.  I have to remember that when a lot of you guys post you are listening from your computers, not the hard stuff.  I have yet to go that route.  Shite, I paid a lot of money for my front end and am a romantic anyway.  Truth is, I'm not even tempted but that's just me.  If I had been on my toes I woulda gotten money from the guys in my audio club that record my albums to their computers.  They do give me copies which begat me thinking that my next purchase should be a better CD player.  Maybe then I can be more appreciative of their work.  You ougtta see and hear some of these guys systems.  This one cat has his garage devoted to soldering up phono stage kits (parks his cars in the street) soes he can get the absolute highest fidelity analog onto his computer.  He loves me for my vinyl collection.  He has 50,000 or so tracks, but that was last week.

I'm getting some random intermittent noise thru my system of late and can't track it down.  I guess I shouldn't be too disappointed.  I've had the nucleus of my system for goin on three decades w/o a problem.  My speakers are active speakers (onboard bi-amped) which isn't gonna make it any easier.  Oh, well . .

Thanks again, D.  Keep on truckin!

*Speaking of which, Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers to include the Marsalis bros on the front line recorded a very LIVE album at KK on the west coast Concord Jazz label and it flat out cooks with gas!  Be there or be square.
« Last Edit: 17 Dec 2014, 05:20 pm by jimdgoulding »

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #8404 on: 16 Dec 2014, 12:53 am »

Lee Morgan ~ The Sidewinder

Asimov

« Reply #8405 on: 16 Dec 2014, 03:10 am »

Herb Ellis & Ray Brown — Soft Shoe

Asimov

« Reply #8406 on: 16 Dec 2014, 03:43 am »

Maynard Ferguson — Big Bop Nouveau

Asimov

« Reply #8407 on: 16 Dec 2014, 05:05 am »

Maynard Ferguson — Footpath Cafe

Asimov

« Reply #8408 on: 16 Dec 2014, 05:44 am »

The Glenn Miller Orchestra — In The Christmas Mood

rockadanny

« Reply #8409 on: 16 Dec 2014, 01:39 pm »
Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers to include the Marsalis bros on the front line recorded a very LIVE album at KK

Did you mean these or something newer? Recorded Live at Bubba's in Florida 1980.

ACHiPo

« Reply #8410 on: 16 Dec 2014, 02:22 pm »
Added a whole lotta jazz SACDs yesterday and working my way through them.  This one's kinda nice...

"With his elegant lyric sensibility and use of classic harmonies which might be characterised as equal parts Hank Jones and Bill Evans, pianist Bill Charlap manages to suggest something at once timeless and modern in his approach to jazz piano. And while references to past and present masters of the keyboard abound in this recital of Hoagy Carmichael compositions (as in his tasty appropriation of Evans's tolling intro to "Some Other Time" on a poignant reading of "The Nearness of You", or his interpolation of Red Garland's "Billy Boy" as a prelude to "I Walk with Music"), Charlap manages to evoke the dreamy, unhurried character redolent of so much of Carmichael's music, while maintaining his own probing, crystalline presence. Thus, while a briskly swinging jaunt through "Jubilee" finds him navigating an equestrian set of changes in a round-robin romp with his exceptionally empathetic rhythm mates (bassist Peter Washington and drummer Kenny Washington), his sultry flirting with tenorist Frank Wess on "Blue Orchids" and his lofty harmonic byplay with guitarist Jim Hall reveal a musician wise beyond his years--restrained and relaxed and confident enough not to hide behind a fusillade of empty notes. Such maturity is part of what makes his storytelling accompaniments behind master vocalists Tony Bennett and Shirley Horn--and a breathtakingly slow, humid trio treatment of "Georgia"--so richly rewarding." --Chip Stern

jimdgoulding

« Reply #8411 on: 16 Dec 2014, 05:12 pm »
Interesting those, Danny, and some really fine selections, but this is the one I have from '82 with brother Branford:

Keystone 3

« Last Edit: 16 Dec 2014, 08:28 pm by jimdgoulding »

jimdgoulding

« Reply #8412 on: 16 Dec 2014, 08:54 pm »
You might can find a mint copy of this for around a $100.00.  The sound is positively stunning.  It will flatter your system.  Plus, the music will reward with repeated listenings.  Just one track per side.  Long tracks, tho, 45rpm.  It's painfully beautiful music and sound . .
Mark Levinson Trio- Jazz at Long Wharf (Mark Levinson Records)
« Last Edit: 19 Dec 2014, 02:36 am by jimdgoulding »

CactusBob

• < Desert Rat >
« Reply #8413 on: 17 Dec 2014, 12:18 am »
Haven't played this next set in a while. Makes for lovely dinner music.

Ornette Coleman  ~  Beauty is a Rare Thing

The Complete Atlantic Recordings

Starting on disc 3

Asimov

« Reply #8414 on: 17 Dec 2014, 01:29 pm »

Andre Previn, Herb Ellis, Shelly Manne, Ray Brown — 4 To Go!

Asimov

« Reply #8415 on: 17 Dec 2014, 03:11 pm »

Bill Watrous — Bone-ified

Asimov

« Reply #8416 on: 17 Dec 2014, 03:59 pm »

Bill Watrous — Manhattan Wildlife Refuge

Asimov

« Reply #8417 on: 17 Dec 2014, 04:47 pm »

Johnny Hodges & Wild Bill Davis — Blue Hodge

jimdgoulding

« Reply #8418 on: 17 Dec 2014, 05:25 pm »
Haven't played this next set in a while. Makes for lovely dinner music.

Ornette Coleman  ~  Beauty is a Rare Thing

The Complete Atlantic Recordings

Starting on disc 3

Wonderful "dinner" music?  You crackin me up, dude.  Can't seem to display the info about your system using the "systems" link.  Can you help me out with that?

Asimov

« Reply #8419 on: 17 Dec 2014, 06:18 pm »

Lee Morgan — Live At The Lighthouse