What jazz ALBUM are you currently listening to?

EarPal

Re: What jazz ALBUM are you currently listening to?
« Reply #6060 on: 19 Jan 2014, 06:44 pm »

jimdgoulding

« Reply #6061 on: 19 Jan 2014, 07:11 pm »

Booker Little - Booker Little

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmuZ4Qxesv0
My my, Earpal, you're coming up with some amazing stuff and thanks for the videos when possible. 

terry parr

« Reply #6062 on: 19 Jan 2014, 07:30 pm »
i pulled out a cd from the stacks that i hadn't listened to in a long time, and i remember auditioning it at the used book store that i had picked it up from a few years ago and thinking at the time that it had a good sense of rhythm and swing, but at the same time it sounded a bit "dense."  that's not a criticism.  i just noticed that the pianist sounded like he was placing more emphasis on harmony rather than melody.  (sounded like he had had classical training with the chords he was using, plus his excellent technical skill of how deftly he could "run" up and down the keyboard).   

this is not the kind of stuff that you would put on in the car with the windows rolled down.  this was stuff that you put on at home, listen to without distraction, and pay attention to.  and i've re-discovered this cd over the last few days, and i'm really getting into it.  the cd is called:
new york trio - page 3   and it's by a dutch pianist by the name of peter beets.

i listened to this  completely from beginning to end without skipping around when i pulled it back out the other day.   i'm enjoying it now more than i thought i ever would.  i'm glad i had the good sense to pick it up in the first place. i remember thinking at the time:  "this might be interesting."  there was something in it that appealed to me when i first heard it, (which is why i ended up buying it), but i just wasn't quite ready to appreciate it on the deeper level that i am now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaxIFAxU8RE&feature=player_detailpage

EarPal

« Reply #6063 on: 19 Jan 2014, 08:09 pm »
My my, Earpal, you're coming up with some amazing stuff and thanks for the videos when possible.

Hi jimd,

Woke up this morning and put this on.  I'd forgotten how good it is.  If I remember correctly, Booker died WAY too early.  What a shame.  He had IT at such a young age. 

EarPal

« Reply #6064 on: 19 Jan 2014, 08:11 pm »

The New Gary Burton Quartet - Guided Tour

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zuPjCpEqXE

rockadanny

« Reply #6065 on: 19 Jan 2014, 08:18 pm »
Miles Davis, "Agharta", 2-disc set on SME/Master Sound

EarPal

« Reply #6066 on: 19 Jan 2014, 09:14 pm »

Bobby Hutcherson - Live At Montreux

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia08GLq4Fmg

CactusBob

• < Desert Rat >
« Reply #6067 on: 19 Jan 2014, 10:43 pm »
Slam Stewart  ~  Bowin' Singin' Slam

Savoy

CactusBob

• < Desert Rat >
« Reply #6068 on: 19 Jan 2014, 11:26 pm »
Dexter Gordon

Blue Note Reissue 2 lp Compilation

Asimov

« Reply #6069 on: 20 Jan 2014, 02:01 am »

Grant Green : Ain't It Funky Now!

Asimov

« Reply #6070 on: 20 Jan 2014, 02:36 pm »

John Handy-Live at the Monterey Jazz Festival

kenreau

« Reply #6071 on: 20 Jan 2014, 05:38 pm »

John Handy-Live at the Monterey Jazz Festival

I've posted this story some time ago, but seeing this album cover reminded me.  Fwiw, about 2 years ago I had a totally unexpected encounter with John Handy.  I was killing time walking around Oakland waiting for my flight home and happened in to an old, hole in the wall, musical instrument store to ask about any "record" stores around the neighborhood where I could find vinyl.  John (who I did not recognize at the time) happened to be in there having his sax worked on.  He offered to drive me to a record store close to his house in the Oakland Hills after his sax was ready to go.  He asked what kind of music I liked.  I told him the 50's~60's Jazz was my favorite and I really liked the old original vinyl when I could find it.  When we arrived, the record store had gone out of business.  He then offered me a ride to the Oakland airport.  He drove me around for a couple of hours talking about his music and the other musicians he had worked with over the years and I was totally amazed.   He is a genuinely nice person and I was thrilled for the experience.

Kenreau

hellwood2

« Reply #6072 on: 20 Jan 2014, 06:52 pm »
Gil Melle Patterns in Jazz

Asimov

« Reply #6073 on: 21 Jan 2014, 01:57 am »
I've posted this story some time ago, but seeing this album cover reminded me.  Fwiw, about 2 years ago I had a totally unexpected encounter with John Handy.  I was killing time walking around Oakland waiting for my flight home and happened in to an old, hole in the wall, musical instrument store to ask about any "record" stores around the neighborhood where I could find vinyl.  John (who I did not recognize at the time) happened to be in there having his sax worked on.  He offered to drive me to a record store close to his house in the Oakland Hills after his sax was ready to go.  He asked what kind of music I liked.  I told him the 50's~60's Jazz was my favorite and I really liked the old original vinyl when I could find it.  When we arrived, the record store had gone out of business.  He then offered me a ride to the Oakland airport.  He drove me around for a couple of hours talking about his music and the other musicians he had worked with over the years and I was totally amazed.   He is a genuinely nice person and I was thrilled for the experience.

Kenreau

Nice story indeed.
Thanks for sharing with us.

Asimov

« Reply #6074 on: 21 Jan 2014, 02:00 am »

Kendrick Scott : Reverence

Asimov

« Reply #6075 on: 21 Jan 2014, 02:48 am »

Nadav Snir-Zelniker Trio : Thinking Out Loud

gjclaxton@gmail.com

« Reply #6076 on: 21 Jan 2014, 03:31 am »

Asimov

« Reply #6077 on: 21 Jan 2014, 04:07 am »

Ornette Coleman : Love Call

Asimov

« Reply #6078 on: 21 Jan 2014, 05:03 am »

Oscar Peterson : Blues Etude

Asimov

« Reply #6079 on: 21 Jan 2014, 01:11 pm »

Rainer Bruninghaus : Freigeweht