Is leather sofa a bad idea?

95bcwh

Is leather sofa a bad idea?
« on: 26 Jun 2006, 01:22 am »
All,
  I saw a set of really nice leather sofa today. I am thinking of buying several single chairs to be use for my future home theater (planned for my new house).  The question is, how would leather affect the sound?

Thanks for your opinion.

barry

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Is leather sofa a bad idea?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jun 2006, 01:35 am »
My HT seating surfaces are all soft leather.  The only sound it affects is that of the person sitting in it...."Ahhhh!"   :D

Sound is affected by all surfaces, but mainly the perpendicular and parallel ones to your speakers, not the ones you sit in.  Be conscious of the first reflections, the bass traps in the corners and ceiling/wall junctions, the glass coffee table in front of you, the bookcases behind you, etc....way more than leather vs cloth...IMO.

95bcwh

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jun 2006, 01:55 am »
My HT seating surfaces are all soft leather.  The only sound it affects is that of the person sitting in it...."Ahhhh!"   :D

Sound is affected by all surfaces, but mainly the perpendicular and parallel ones to your speakers, not the ones you sit in.  Be conscious of the first reflections, the bass traps in the corners and ceiling/wall junctions, the glass coffee table in front of you, the bookcases behind you, etc....way more than leather vs cloth...IMO.

Ted, thanks..it's good to know that.. I know what you mean man.. the moment I sit on that sofa... it's just "AAAHHHH"...

Perhaps I have read too much of room acoutic that's making me feeling anxious about the sound reflected from the sofa where I lay my head on.. :lol:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 26 Jun 2006, 04:24 pm »
Oh yes, a leather sofa is a terrible idea, better bring it right over to my place where I'll suffer with it.   :wink:

95bcwh

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jun 2006, 05:34 pm »
Oh yes, a leather sofa is a terrible idea, better bring it right over to my place where I'll suffer with it.   :wink:

Oh.. I just saw another piece today at IKEA... it's called "Borgholm" single chair... if you have an IKEA nearby, you need to go and sit on it... it's "AHHHH", it's not too hard, not too soft.. just right to be used as a listening chair.. :icon_lol:

Glenn K

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jun 2006, 06:54 pm »
Well it could reflect some of the high end, but that AHHHHHH feeling with a SIIIIIIIIP (that is me drinking a beer) is worth the trade off.  :lol:
If it does really sound bad when you lay back you can put a blanket behind your head. Btw I so this on the Real Traps new video, you should all go check it out.

Glenn