Soon to be new Omega owner with questions...

Kray

Re: Soon to be new Omega owner with questions...
« Reply #40 on: 12 Apr 2020, 11:34 pm »
So how do you like your Omega’s compared to the ZU’s?

Honestly I’m liking the Omegas better. I get a bit lower extension with them. Very close and I’d own another paid of Zu’s if I had to. These Omegas MSRP at $3200 so may not be a fair comparison to DW’S which are a crazy value.

jmolsberg

« Reply #41 on: 13 Apr 2020, 01:06 pm »
those speaks look great! best they sound even better

AvsFan

« Reply #42 on: 13 Apr 2020, 03:42 pm »
Honestly I’m liking the Omegas better. I get a bit lower extension with them. Very close and I’d own another paid of Zu’s if I had to. These Omegas MSRP at $3200 so may not be a fair comparison to DW’S which are a crazy value.

Buy a sub for lower extension. LOL. Just kidding. I don't know what kind of amp you were using before with the ZU's but once I hooked them up in my two channel room to some real power and clean power, they seriously opened up, rewarded me and gave me GREAT bass. I am a sub guy, but was actually totally content with the bass that the DW's were delivering sans sub. Since then, my ZU's are back in my theater room right where they belong and dialed in. I will NEVER get rid of my ZU's. I love them. I am just blessed that I am able to enjoy different systems in my home.
You are correct, the DW's are a crazy value. They should be sold for a lot more, so it might be a closer comparison than you think.  :D

But I am sure the new Omega's are SWEET! Super 8 XRS right? Louis does it right. There is a reason I am having him build my second pair of Omega custom speakers, I love his speakers! The only other company I have come back to for seconds was ZU. But man, you are making me want to try one of his other offerings. I had a pair of Omega 3XRS's a few years ago with the RS5 driver and really enjoyed them a lot! Fast forward to today, after a few different conversations with Louis and explaining what type of sound I am looking for out of my music and speakers, he once again suggested the RS5 drivers. But this time around, we are doing dual RS5 driver's per cabinet. Higher output and more midrange. But he said that because I am going to be using dual subs, and I like the lightning quick attack and transient response of the RS5 driver and the resolution, transparency and resolve it gives, that it's the perfect choice for me. I listen when he makes suggestions. LOL
Hopefully will have them in the next month or so. I am excited!

roscoe65

« Reply #43 on: 13 Apr 2020, 06:18 pm »
AVSFan,

A word of advice regarding the Super 3 HO monitors:  they do not like Class AB SS amps.  With SS amps the second driver produces +6 dB while only +3 dB with tube amps and some Class A solid state.  To me it makes my Super 3 HO monitors sound muddy and a little too boomy.  With a tube amp is sounds more balanced.

AvsFan

« Reply #44 on: 13 Apr 2020, 10:53 pm »
AVSFan,

A word of advice regarding the Super 3 HO monitors:  they do not like Class AB SS amps.  With SS amps the second driver produces +6 dB while only +3 dB with tube amps and some Class A solid state.  To me it makes my Super 3 HO monitors sound muddy and a little too boomy.  With a tube amp is sounds more balanced.

I appreciate the advice. Thank you. I had a conversation with Louis this weekend and he pretty much said the same thing. He really seems to suggests tube amps to match with his speakers.
I started a thread awhile ago about anyone using high powered amps with Omega speakers. I got 0 responses. LOL
I'm looking into a SET amp from Decware.

jmolsberg

« Reply #45 on: 13 Apr 2020, 11:41 pm »
Here is a link to excellent tube amplifiers. Kevin is pretty responsive and knowledgeable if you have any questions, although he doesn’t own omega speakers. Decware is always an excellent choice. I recently went with an Alan Eaton 45 and it has some very nice synergy with my rs5 Omega’s. And roscoe is spot on with the class ab.

http://www.glowinthedarkaudio.com/amps.html
« Last Edit: 14 Apr 2020, 02:42 am by jmolsberg »

thetakeout

« Reply #46 on: 14 Apr 2020, 02:15 am »
JM,

How do you like the Alan Eaton amps.  That is what I have.  I have the monoblock versions.  I would love to hear your impressions.  Did you change the tubes yet.  When I changed the tubes it was a whole different universe.  I got some RCA 45's and some Sylvania 5692's in place of the 6SN7. 

I am interested to hear your thoughts.

John

jmolsberg

« Reply #47 on: 14 Apr 2020, 02:36 am »
John, I just rolled the inputs with hitachi 6sn7 and it’s nice. Waiting patiently for my 45s from vintage tube services. It’s a very musical amp with a big presence. I’ve had it just over a week and it’s getting better everyday. Those quality vintage components and simple circuit, and tube selection, make for a mighty fine sounding set amp. Plays great with my Omegas! How are those monos? Did you hear them continue to improve with hours?

Here’s what I wrote on Saturday
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=168849.40

AvsFan

« Reply #48 on: 14 Apr 2020, 05:01 am »
Here is a link to excellent tube amplifiers. Kevin is pretty responsive and knowledgeable if you have any questions, although he doesn’t own omega speakers. Decware is always an excellent choice. I recently went with an Alan Eaton 45 and it has some very nice synergy with my rs5 Omega’s. And roscoe is spot on with the class ab.

http://www.glowinthedarkaudio.com/amps.html

I’m doing some more research on this but do Omega speakers respond well to amps with higher or lower damping factors and what exactly does that mean?

Also, how much is the Alan Eaton 45?

jmolsberg

« Reply #49 on: 14 Apr 2020, 12:04 pm »
Low dampening. The cone and surround for this 4 inch driver is only 1.5 grams!
Alan’s sells quite a few different amp flavors but the dht 45 set is $1200

http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_cs_amps.pdf

Kray

« Reply #50 on: 14 Apr 2020, 07:51 pm »
@avsfan - mine are 6.5” Alnico drivers. They are a customshop model. Called Super 6 XRS, with bottom ports and upgraded binding posts

I recently scored a fully new build of a Magnavox 8600, the DGSE-1 circuit design. EL84 based flea watt and was blown away by what this TINY amp can do.

I’m also getting a Oliver Sayes 45 Yamamoto clone next week.

Probable sell my Line Magnetic 518 as it’s great but compete overkill for the Omegas (22wpc 845 based SET)

Here’s the DGSE1

jmolsberg

« Reply #51 on: 14 Apr 2020, 09:59 pm »
The omegas certainly don’t need much power. Oliver builds some really nice amps. Cant wait to hear what you think.

AvsFan

« Reply #52 on: 14 Apr 2020, 10:56 pm »
Low dampening. The cone and surround for this 4 inch driver is only 1.5 grams!
Alan’s sells quite a few different amp flavors but the dht 45 set is $1200

http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_cs_amps.pdf

That was a really good article. Thank you for the link and it really clears things up on why high power is not needed  for these type of speakers, quite the opposite, it seems like low power makes the speakers shine.

AvsFan

« Reply #53 on: 14 Apr 2020, 11:09 pm »
The omegas certainly don’t need much power. Oliver builds some really nice amps. Cant wait to hear what you think.

I used the Decware UFO a few years back to power 3 XRS's. At 2 watts per channel, it was spectacular. And this is a smaller room than that system was in.

I think I just went a little crazy and off the deep end getting big power for my Maggie's. My LRS's were chewing up small powered amps. I went through 4 before I finally got sick of small power and got these 400 watt per channel monoblocks from Tommy over at DAC. Now the Maggie's are singing like never before! Totally in control of the Maggie's. SO my brain has been on the need more power, need more power track! 
Now have to switch modes to light tube power and match up the new 3 HO's with a perfect amp. The DHT45 at $1200 seems like a winner. Good price too, I don't want to spend much over $1000. But I also want simplicity, I don't want to fiddle much with tube rolling and so on. Is it self biasing?

Here is a picture of my current set up, but this will look different in the next month or so, ot I might put the Omega's in the living room. I haven't quite figured that one out yet. 

jmolsberg

« Reply #54 on: 15 Apr 2020, 12:19 am »
It does self bias. Pm me if you want his email, he’s very approachable.
Good looking stereo! I appreciate the the big watt stereos,... and have lots of buddies with them. After a jam session, I can’t get back fast enough to my modest setup. Cheers

thetakeout

« Reply #55 on: 15 Apr 2020, 03:21 pm »
JM,

Am I correct to assume they have a bigger presence than the LTA by a fare bit?  I don't exactly know how to document my journey. 

I used the amp.  Liked it.  My big Decware was gone so I didn't have anything to compare it to.  I don't think I liked it as much initially.  I was told the amp came with crappy tubes but I didn't buy in to that concept I guess. 

I got new 45's from vintage tube services also.  That helped but it wasn't a world changer. 

I had a buddy get some 5692 RCA's and he said they just blew his mind. On an impulse I bought some that he thought were likely the same construction.  I put those in and suddenly the amp blew my mind.  I think my input tubes must have been trash.  I think when I got the new input tubes it not only upgraded the input tubes, but it showed me how much better the 45's were.  I think the 45's I purchased were being held back by the crappy input tubes. 

I love the amp.  I really would like to have a different amp in the house to do an a/b.  I have sort of worked at that but with no success.

So over time the amp has really improved, but I bought it used so I think it was already broken in.  I think it just needed new tubes.  The guy I got it from said, first thing, get new tubes.  Well.  I didn't listen.

I also changed the rectifiers at the same time as the input tubes.

I completely love the amps.  Now I really want to hear them with Open Baffle speakers.   I would also like to get some Omegas in the house.  I would guess your Omegas are a great match.

I appreciate you for letting me come down and listen to your set up.  Your Omegas are pretty stunning to look at.  I also learned what the term fast meant in regards to speakers.  That is a hard one to explain without experiencing it.

I hope all is well.

John 

jmolsberg

« Reply #56 on: 15 Apr 2020, 05:44 pm »
I was stunned by how much bigger it sounds than the LTA and pretty much any other amp I’ve played with. As noted, Alan provides tubes but as a courtesy, nothing more. Any early grain appears to be gone, the bass is deep, the highs are crystal, and the artifacts are all there. It’s a super match with my speakers!
It’s hard to grasp speed until your face is in front of it.
Stay safe coach. Maybe we can hookup again when all this settles

Kray

« Reply #57 on: 25 Apr 2020, 10:15 pm »
My Omegas have been breaking in and singing along nicely and thought I would treat them right and feed them with some tube goodness.

Oliver Sayes 45 Yamamoto. Loving this amp so much I’ve reached out to Oliver to build a custom 6AH4 preamp. So for now only controlling volume thru my Lumin network transport.

jmolsberg

« Reply #58 on: 26 Apr 2020, 12:42 am »
^ the tone from those 45 amps are killer! That one looks beautiful.

todcp

« Reply #59 on: 28 Apr 2020, 04:51 pm »
I agree with highly accurate and revealing.  That is why I bought mine.  I agree with the poster that a sub at 65 hz is a very good addition.
Mine was using a very inexpensive Elekit TU-873S with 7 watts to great effect.  (backed by superior phono amp and pre amp from LKV)