WTB: Vandersteen Quatro Speakers

Tubeburner

WTB: Vandersteen Quatro Speakers
« on: 1 Nov 2008, 11:12 pm »
Interested in a mint pair of Vandersteen Quatro's with crossover.

Thank you.

Tubeburner

Re: WTB: Vandersteen Quatro Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 6 Nov 2008, 02:19 am »
No longer interested. Spoke to Richard Vandersteen on the phone and he is a horses behind. No need to know him.

Al Garay

« Reply #2 on: 6 Nov 2008, 05:15 am »
what happened or did not happen?

biz97

« Reply #3 on: 6 Nov 2008, 05:28 am »
Wow,

That is the second time I've heard about a bad experience with talking to him...

WolfsongAudio

« Reply #4 on: 6 Nov 2008, 03:49 pm »
Just because somebody believes in their own designs and products they are a "Horse's Behind"?  Not sure how that works.  Did he not give you affirmation that all of your other audio ideas were perfect and that he agreed with everything you think about audio?  I have met the man on more than one occasion ( in person ) and he is an affable speaker who believes in his design and products.  Many are put off when Richard refuses to "Just go along with"  a person's audio ideas to try to get a sale.  Also if you were calling to learn all you can about a product you intend to buy used then why on earth should he spend time with you?  To make you feel good?  laughable!  As a manufacturer it is his job to sell new products through his dealer network.  It is the business model he has chosen and therefore must stick to.  It may be hard to believe but there are products out there there that are worth their price new.  If the sound is what you are after then go visit a dealer, audition them, request an in-home demo.  Compare and contrast the speakers with your listening style and loves.  If they are right for you, who cares if Richard thinks differently than you do about audio.  I am sure we all have out own preferences and my holy grail might be mud in your ears.  Richard is no different.  Let the products speak for themselves.  Go find a better value than a pair of Quattros.  Hard to do.
    I am not a dealer nor employed by one (after 10 + years that is) but I do understand the structure and dynamics of the dealer/manufacturer/buyer relationship.  There is nothing in the world like sinking into music that tears new holes in your soul.  Gladly opening your heart to the world is tough to do.  Richard Vandersteen does this daily and I salute him for it.

Mike

Mike

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #5 on: 6 Nov 2008, 04:01 pm »
No longer interested. Spoke to Richard Vandersteen on the phone and he is a horses behind. No need to know him.

Well I'll be meeting the man face to face this saturday and I'll see who might possibly be the real "horses behind". :roll: You may very well be right (as i have felt the same way as you with some that I've dealt with in the audio community) but that's no reason to be posting *dirty laundry* on a public forum! :thumbdown:

Cheers,
Robin

sts9fan

« Reply #6 on: 6 Nov 2008, 04:06 pm »
Consider yourself scolded by the internet police.  They are better then you and you should have known that,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #7 on: 6 Nov 2008, 04:12 pm »
Consider yourself scolded by the internet police.  They are better then you and you should have known that,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Speak of the devil.........  :lol:

WolfsongAudio

« Reply #8 on: 6 Nov 2008, 04:16 pm »
Better?  By no means.  Just wondering how a person can be called a "horse's behind" with no commentary on what went on in the conversation.  My comments were based on a long time relationship with Richard and my understanding of what people find "off putting" about him.  He simply believes in his own designs and will not placate a potential customer who has other ideas about what makes a great speaker.  Or the price of such.

Mike

Dan Driscoll

« Reply #9 on: 6 Nov 2008, 04:17 pm »
Well I'll be meeting the man face to face this saturday...

If it isn't private, please post about your conversation in the Audio Central forum. I love the sound of my Vandys 2Cs would like to upgrade to 3A Sigs.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #10 on: 6 Nov 2008, 04:22 pm »

If it isn't private, please post about your conversation in the Audio Central forum. I love the sound of my Vandys 2Cs would like to upgrade to 3A Sigs.

Actually Mr Vandersteen will be in Vernona, NJ at Audio Connect this saturday to address the NY RAVE group while we audition his speakers, especailly the 5A's. :drool: This'll probaby be only only chance I'll have to ever hear Vandersteen loudspeakers and I'm really looking forward to it. I'm sure there will be a lot of comments made in the NY RAVE circle following this audition. :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #11 on: 6 Nov 2008, 05:04 pm »

Actually Mr Vandersteen will be in Vernona, NJ at Audio Connect this saturday to address the NY RAVE group while we audition his speakers, especailly the 5A's. :drool: This'll probaby be only only chance I'll have to ever hear Vandersteen loudspeakers and I'm really looking forward to it. I'm sure there will be a lot of comments made in the NY RAVE circle following this audition. :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Robin,

You always have an open invite to come over to my place to hear the 5A's, or CS2's, or SongTowers, or Omega Revolutions...   aa

George

Emil

Re: WTB: Vandersteen Quatrjavascript:void(0);o Speakers
« Reply #12 on: 6 Nov 2008, 05:14 pm »
what happened or did not happen?

My guess was that Tubeburner mentioned that he was buying USED :nono:
I can see how that would piss any manufacturer off.

Regardless, this is not the first time that I've read someone write about a not so pleasant experience with him.

mcullinan

« Reply #13 on: 6 Nov 2008, 05:19 pm »
I have heard the stories... I am pumping iron and shooting up steroids in preparation for the Vandersteen meet this weekend :)
Mike
I am the gabby girl of the audio world. That sounds a lil effeminate. Eh ok.
Mike

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #14 on: 6 Nov 2008, 05:20 pm »

Cheers,
Robin

Robin,

You always have an open invite to come over to my place to hear the 5A's, or CS2's, or SongTowers, or Omega Revolutions...   aa

George

You know George, I really need to take you up on this. :notworthy: The drive to your place is shorter than what I'm doing to make these RAVES. :thumb: Plus the fact that your old place in NY was my very 1st RAVE. Gee George, I didn't realize you had a set of 5A's TOO! 8)  Are you trying to pack a warehouse in your home like Chris(Lonewolf)? :lol:

Cheers,
Robin

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #15 on: 6 Nov 2008, 05:37 pm »
I have not spoken with Richard face to face but have had communications with him in the past. It was usually regarding an amplifier I was building for a customer that had Vandy speakers. I am not a dealer for them but have had them in my facility on occasion when customer brought them in for an audition of electronics.

In my communications I have come to the conclusion that Richard is set in his ways and stands behind his beliefs (opinions, theories....whatever you want to call it). I for one do not see a problem with this. I have my beliefs that I stand firm on just as everyone here has their own. I believe in my products but remain open minded and respectful of others even if I do not agree with the design or beliefs of the designer.

We have no idea what took place in the conversation between Richard and Tubeburner so one can only assume (which is a bad idea).

The only comment I will make is that if further details are not revealed, the comment about Richard has no merit.

sts9fan

« Reply #16 on: 6 Nov 2008, 05:41 pm »
My guess was that Tubeburner mentioned that he was buying USED
I can see how that would piss any manufacturer off.

A good used market for a brand is good for new business as well. 

WolfsongAudio

« Reply #17 on: 6 Nov 2008, 06:20 pm »
sts9fan,

How?  By increasing the brand presence?  More transactions make more people aware of the line?  Then since they can't find the give away price they want on a used item they go to the dealer and demand a 40% discount because that is what they can buy the product they want for on the used market? 
     I am a seller of used gear and even I get the idea that a manufacturer makes ZERO dollars on a used sale.  The fact that Richard is available by phone to discuss new and old products is a testament to his commitment to the audio crowd and his own business.  Try getting David Wilson, Dennis Had, Luke Manley, et al.  on the phone.  Unless you are asking who to give your stack of thousands to the aforementioned want nothing to do with you.  Richard will pick up the phone to talk about a $200.00 crossover just as fast as he will pick it up to talk about a pair of 5As. 
    As we do not know the details of the conversation it is not fair to either party to cry foul here.  Again I was only using my experience with Richard to "surmise" what happened and to put my 2 cents in the ring as to why Richard rubs folks the wrong way by not bending his thoughts or beliefs.
    Audio should be about sinking into the river of notes and breathing deep the power of musical expression.  Throwing brand names and dollar signs to the winds and basking in the glory that is passion.

Rock on!

Mike

topround

« Reply #18 on: 6 Nov 2008, 11:51 pm »
I think without a strong used market there can be no new market.
I mean really, if you had a set of 2's and wanted to upgrade to 3's, most would sell the 2's to get the 3's right?
And lets say you wanted to change your amp(s) you would sell that amp to get another right?
Honestly we can't all keep everything so some stuff must be sold.

If you paid 2000 for your 2's and there was no used market than they would be worth nothing used, why would anyone buy new then?

There must be a used market, and the manufacturer should be glad people want to buy their gear used, it maintains the value of their new gear.

A manufacturer that shuns a person because they bought used is just an asshole, the audio community is full of them, they just don't know it.

Also the manufacturers get tired of us audiophiles calling them, asking them the same annoying questions all the time. Most of them are not really a sales department, but one man R&D shops that may have a few people with manufacture.

When I bought a used VAC, I called Kevin and he was a gentleman and said," Welcome to the family", he obviously gets it, he is very kind and helpful, but you have to pay for it!$$

just my thoughts

sts9fan

« Reply #19 on: 7 Nov 2008, 01:35 am »
exactly topround   They need to take a step back.  All the big brands have booming used markets.