My X-CS Encore Build

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: My X-CS Encore Build
« Reply #60 on: 18 Nov 2014, 07:57 pm »
Yeah, you'd be surprised.

Lacro,

Do the math--60 posts in this thread yet there have been 3,713 views. It's more impressive this way: Three thousand seventeen views!!!

Me thinks there are a few lurkers.

Captainhemo

« Reply #61 on: 18 Nov 2014, 10:38 pm »
Necely done Larry  :thumb:
Glad it has  gone easier than expected. 

-jay

lacro

« Reply #62 on: 19 Nov 2014, 10:39 pm »
Sanded off the spot putty which left only the scratches, and tiny low spots filled. Decided to use high build primer this time. I will wait a couple days before wet sanding in prep for the gloss black. It's hard to fathom this was a disaster a couple days ago!   :oops:

Larry....

lacro

« Reply #63 on: 21 Nov 2014, 09:01 pm »
Gloss black is back!  :)

Larry...

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #64 on: 21 Nov 2014, 09:06 pm »
There you go, that looks great. Aren't you glad you left the sledge alone? :thumb:

Mike

lacro

« Reply #65 on: 21 Nov 2014, 09:35 pm »
Thanks Mike... But - there is a ways to go yet! Oh yeah! the sledge hammer is under lock and key :wink:

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #66 on: 21 Nov 2014, 09:45 pm »
I realize it doesn't match the finish on you LS Encores but it is already better than I could do.

Captainhemo

« Reply #67 on: 22 Nov 2014, 01:28 am »
Amazing recovery Larry  :thumb: 
Man, you did that  quick too

-jay

lacro

« Reply #68 on: 25 Nov 2017, 03:56 pm »
This project has been on the back burner for 3 years!  :o I finally got a good paint finish, and after color sanding/buffing, I got the nice piano black finish I wanted to match my X-LS Encores. I stored the finished box away in a closet, and lost interest. I spent most of my spare time building and playing around with chip amps, and didn't have much interest in home theater as I was mostly listening to 2 channel music.

When this post came up: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=153347.0 I decided it might be time to finish the speaker, and help out someone trying to unload some unused items. I got the drivers and rear terminal cup installed without issue. I was concerned about damaging the gloss finish while drilling 20 screw holes The only issue I had was the need to deepen the counterbore recess for the tweeter which had been built up with multiple coats of finish. I used a carbide scraper to carefully remove several layers of finish so the tweeter would be flush with the front baffle. This was another delicate operation using a sharp tool close to a gloss finish which could have been a disaster with one slip of hand.  :nono:

Anyway, all is well, and I thought it best to finalize the build thread even though it took 3 years to finish! :roll: The speaker matches my X-LS Encores both visually, and sonically :thumb:  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=108371.msg1114394#msg1114394

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #69 on: 25 Nov 2017, 04:48 pm »
That finish is beautiful.  :bowdown:

Over 10,000 views now!

Captainhemo

« Reply #70 on: 26 Nov 2017, 06:16 pm »
Fantastic as usual Larry  :thumb:
Glad you found the time to got  it all done

jay