What jazz ALBUM are you currently listening to?

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: What jazz ALBUM are you currently listening to?
« Reply #20880 on: 11 Mar 2021, 02:15 am »

The Ahmad Jamal Trio:    The Awakening      '70

fbny71

« Reply #20881 on: 11 Mar 2021, 07:10 pm »

rockadanny

« Reply #20882 on: 12 Mar 2021, 05:24 pm »
Jackie McLean - New And Old Gospel

I've listened to this disc several times since I acquired. Yuk! I just don't get it. Admit, I am not a hard-core Avant-Garde kind of guy by nature. I have some I do enjoy (Coltrane, Coleman, Dolphy, Pharaoh Sanders,  etc.), but man, I just cannot get into this one. I have a bunch of Jackie discs, and a bunch that he is on as a side man, but I am going to list this on Swapacd.com to swap it out of my library. This is the only recording he did with Ornette Coleman, but Ornette is on trumpet! And though he'd been "playing" trumpet for a few years by then, on this disc it sounds like he's still learning to play ... er ... more like he just picked it up for the first time ever and is trying to figure out which end to blow in.

In the liner notes Jackie states, "I don't want to hear any more about bebop or hard bop or this or that category. Titles hang things up. The music is just good or bad." To which Ornette adds, "There's no bad music, only bad musicians." Well, IMO, I disagree - most of this disc IS bad music. And I agree - played by a bad trumpet musician. Too harsh?

Ronw

« Reply #20883 on: 12 Mar 2021, 06:36 pm »
   Never say that music is bad music because you do not like it.It is better to say that you don't understand it or appreciate it!

vilding

• Musician. Audiophile on a budget.
« Reply #20884 on: 12 Mar 2021, 10:53 pm »

Ellen Andersson - You should have told me

Second album from this brilliant young Swedish vocalist and bandleader.

GerryD

« Reply #20885 on: 13 Mar 2021, 08:05 pm »

EarPal

« Reply #20886 on: 13 Mar 2021, 08:41 pm »

Neil Ardley  -  Kaleidoscope of Rainbows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBguis9Gmu4

EarPal

« Reply #20887 on: 13 Mar 2021, 10:05 pm »

Chris Bowden  -  Time Capsule

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46tro7Gl0sc

EarPal

« Reply #20888 on: 13 Mar 2021, 11:05 pm »

Shadowfax  -  The Dreams Of Children

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihxvF0vF44c

Jeff_From_Michigan

« Reply #20889 on: 14 Mar 2021, 01:18 pm »

You beat me to it, Gerry! I just listened to this masterpiece yesterday. I was getting online to post it here when I saw that you scooped me!

In addition to the incredible music, the sonics are also first-rate.

This is one of those albums that people will hear playing in the background and say "WOW! Who is THAT?".

EarPal

EarPal

GerryD

« Reply #20893 on: 14 Mar 2021, 08:08 pm »

Hamiet Bluiett--Bearer Of The Holy Flame

TomS

« Reply #20894 on: 15 Mar 2021, 12:16 am »

rockadanny

« Reply #20895 on: 15 Mar 2021, 09:16 pm »
@Ronw ...
Never say that music is bad music because you do not like it. It is better to say that you don't understand it or appreciate it!

I agree with you in general. I've been listening to and reading about jazz since around 1967, even played in a jazz band for a little bit. You may be correct about the music - I just don't get it even though I've read the liner notes regarding McLean's intentions, so I'll back off on that one. After all, one man's music is another man's catterwaulling. However, IMO, Ornette fails miserably on trumpet on these recordings. It doesn't sound like he's playing a certain style to make a point, unless that point is, I don't know what I'm doing. It just sounds like he's completely befuddled by the instrument.

TomS

« Reply #20896 on: 15 Mar 2021, 11:59 pm »

dB Cooper

« Reply #20897 on: 16 Mar 2021, 01:26 am »
   Never say that music is bad music because you do not like it.It is better to say that you don't understand it or appreciate it!
Well, lets say it does suck- I'd rather hear about something that doesn't. I barely buy physical media anymore (only if I can't download or stream), so if I try something on Qobuz and I hate it, I just move on. It's not like discovering you hate something after spending $15-20 on a disc. A lot of my jazz discoveries come from this very thread.

That being said, an "Albums That Suck" thread would be amusing, at least until the thread gets 'binned'.

GerryD

« Reply #20898 on: 17 Mar 2021, 08:10 pm »

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #20899 on: 18 Mar 2021, 01:22 am »

That being said, an "Albums That Suck" thread would be amusing, at least until the thread gets 'binned'.
I'm another one that just can't get into Ornette C.   I've got a couple of his first pressings that I need to get rid of....
Anyone want to pay me for a primo first "The Shape of Jazz to Come"--- a bargain at $25. Discogs at $50. I've tried, but I just don't like it.