A

Marbles

A
« on: 11 Jan 2003, 05:19 am »
I
« Last Edit: 3 Dec 2009, 06:04 pm by Marbles »

Night Wolf

Anybody have any mid to late 70's Sansui gear?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jan 2003, 05:28 am »
I never really got into the hobby to collect anything, but as I upgrad, I just can't part with my old stuff :D  anyway I don't have any vintage Sansui, although I would love to own a G-22000 (along with a Pioneer SX-1980) and the vintage Marantz is very nice.

I do have some Kenwood and Sony gear though, here is a quick list of what I own;

(2) Kenwood KR-8010
Kenwood KA-1500
(2) Sony TA-2650
Sony ST-3950
KLH model 17
JBL L100

I also have a vintage Sony table radio and a vintage Regency police scanner aswell

my main 2ch. music system consist of the 2 KR-8010's running in bi-amp with my L100's, a few months ago I completly restored and customized my L100's and I have a Nakamichi CD Player2 Limited as my cd player.  let's just say with 250wpc total system power on tap and spekaers that are about 96db sensitive, the system can really get loud  :D

Sansui was one of the best brands back in the day, it's a shame that they are where they are today :cry:

Night Wolf

« Reply #2 on: 11 Jan 2003, 06:13 am »
yeah the G-22000 is bigger then the SX-1980. although alot people say the SX-1250 sounds better then the 1980, I still want the 1980 :D

yeah, your right, they don't make them like they used to, that is proably the main reason for my passion with the vintage gear. don't get me wrong, HT can be nice, but I perfer the vintage 2ch. stuff, although I put together a very cheap HT system really didn't care about quality just wanted 5.1 dd/dts and for that I am happy with it, but for anything quality, or anything besides tv/dvd/ps2, the vintage 2ch. music system is running.

Rob.... what is your current system setup?

Night Wolf

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jan 2003, 06:14 am »
BTW is there anyway to upload pictures into your post?

Haoleb

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jan 2003, 06:46 am »
Yes marbles. in the closet i have :

SP-X8000 speakers
SR-535 turntable
AU-517 integrated amp
??? Tape deck

i even have the original receipt for it all. all of it was $1800 i believe bought in 1979. by my parents. And i have manuals also. and even brand new rack handles which are still in their packaging. never opened. That tempt you?

and in my system i have a TU-517 tuner. only things that work without repair/parts  :( and the tuner and the speakers work too. but the speakers cant hold a candle to my axiom m80's  :lol:  the sansui tuner is nice, but im contemplating just buying a cambridge audio t500 tuner for $150. at least id have the remote capabilities which the sansui dont got. with that i would probbly listen to the radio alot more than i do.

Night Wolf

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jan 2003, 06:51 am »
IMO you can't beat a vintage analog tuner, there is just no comparison to the new digtal tuners that use a 1"x1" circuit board and stuck in the back of a rec. somewhere.

getting up to change the station dosn't bother me, as usualy I just leave it on 1 station (there are about 3 which I like to listen to) and when I get up to change the station, I have to take notice to the signal strength and tuning meters, so it's all good

question, does anyone know what the FM de emphisis does? I have that (3 differnt selections) on the back of my KR-8010, and have no clue what it does

karthikn

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jan 2003, 01:26 pm »
I will be a vintage Sansui owner over the next week with a Sansui TU-S7 tuner circa 1980AD  :D   Not the best vintage Sansui.  But the one that I could find with a reasonable price ($75).  I really wanted a TU-717/719.  Good features and nice for listening to the radio in the dark.  I got sick of bidding on that stuff at eBay where it was more of (I thought) people trying to make a fast buck (or making a living in some cases I should also add).  Some vintage stuff are going for a lot of money.    If anybody wants, www.recycledaudio.com has a TU-S9 for $79.

I used www.geocities.com/tunerinfo (now moved to http://fmtunerinfo.com) to do my research.  Good folks them.  I made a contribution for all the help that I got from their site.

Haoleb, from what I read, I would really try out the Cambridge before you sell your Sansui analog.

Brad

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jan 2003, 01:57 pm »
I've got a Tu-717 that I like a lot.
Good sound.

Needs adjusting because it won't pull in stations below 95 on the dial though    :cry:

Haoleb

« Reply #8 on: 11 Jan 2003, 05:17 pm »
well, no way i would be selling it and probbly wont even be buying a new tuner. after i thought about it, they dont even play anything i like on the radio now days anyway!

mgalusha

« Reply #9 on: 11 Jan 2003, 10:52 pm »
I have a TU-3900 which sounds much better than my Carver TX-11a. I don't know excatly how old it is, IIRC I traded a guy for it about 20 years ago and it wasn't new then.

PeteG

« Reply #10 on: 12 Jan 2003, 10:14 pm »
I bought a Sansui G9700 in "79" while in the military, had it for 6 years
it was a great receiver. my buddys thought I was nuts they had a
car payment and I, a stereo payment.

Ferdi

« Reply #11 on: 13 Jan 2003, 12:01 am »
I have an AU 317mkII

I don't know exactly when this thing was made. Probably very late 70's or very early 80's.
I first wanted to give it to my father for this second system but ended up giving him my (also vintage) Marantz SR1010 receiver instead as he needed the radio and I listen to CD mostly.

I now have the Sansui in my second system in my home office. I use it with Mission 751f monitors and Marantz CD53 CDP. Really happy with this combination.

Marbles, thanks again for your suggestions at the time.

DVV

« Reply #12 on: 13 Jan 2003, 09:45 pm »
In my younger and wilder days, I used to tinker a lot with Sansui audio. I don't much like sweeping statements, but by and large, I do believe it was made far better than most other Japanese audio of the day.

When I look over the schematics of AU-607, I can't help noting it was made so much ahead of its time in its day, that with a few small mods it could easily pass as a modern, up to date design.

A friend had the small 517 amp, and asked me to make it "more powerful". I changed some bits and pieces, and the output devices, eschewing its original 100W trannies for Motorola's 250W devices, and stuck in a much better transformer. Wow, it really rocked. Unfortunately, he sold it some years later.

Cheers,
DVV

BeatleFred

• Sansui BA-5000/Infinity Renaissance 90
« Reply #13 on: 19 Jan 2003, 05:44 am »
BeatleFred======> Sansui.   I  L-O-V-E Sansui.

http://www.sansui.us/MS_Fred.htm

flintstone

« Reply #14 on: 10 Feb 2003, 01:57 pm »
I have, Sansui au-717 int. amp and tu-717 tuner. Still sound and work very well, I still think the tuner is one of the best out there.

icefox

Re: Anybody have any mid to late 70's Sansui gear?
« Reply #15 on: 30 Jun 2003, 07:57 pm »
Quote from: Marbles
I collect this stuff, don't ask why.

I have two AU-X1's, 2 TU-X1's, a TU9900, a AU 20000 and some speakers, the SP-9000's and the SP6900's (I think)

I have lots of receivers too.

Marble....... I though doug.S was the tuner king in this circle but I thought you are not to far off.

If in any case you decided to get rid of any of those TU-X1, give me a buzz..... :lol:

icefox

« Reply #16 on: 1 Jul 2003, 02:08 am »
Quote from: Marbles
I already sold one TU-X1....now if you want a AU-X1, I have one for sale....

I suppose AU-X1 is the amp, right? I don't think I am looking for amp. I am looking for tuner.

steve_jrc

« Reply #17 on: 9 Feb 2004, 08:16 pm »
I had a Sansui Six receiver back in the early to mid 70's but at that time I really wanted an Eight Deluxe. These models were replaced with a receiver line much less aesthetically appealing (i.e. cheaper) and with fewer functions.

Eric

« Reply #18 on: 10 Apr 2004, 04:13 pm »
I have a Sansui G-7700