ASR Review of Spark

cipriano

ASR Review of Spark
« on: 9 May 2021, 10:50 am »
Hello Everybody,
Does anyone have thoughts on the recent review on Audio Science Review of the Spark? They really ripped it!

Not that it's hindering my listening enjoyment. I trust my ears, not measurements. FWIW I have owned an amp that ASR ranks at the very top of their reviewed amps. It's a Nord Hypex NC400. Not a bad amp, but I returned it as it just seemed too vanilla. So maybe my ears are contrary to what this ASR guy is measuring.

One strange measurement is that he states the Spark tops out at 8.8 wpc, less than half the rated 20 wpc. That can't be right can it?  :scratch:

RDavidson

Re: ASR Review of Spark
« Reply #1 on: 9 May 2021, 08:11 pm »
Good measurements are not a guarantee nor necessarily synonymous with enjoyable sound. Great amps usually measure pretty well, perform well, AND sound good to our ears. We don't listen to measurements, we listen to sound and music. We can perceive things in sound and music that measurement devices cannot. This is why listening and subjective observations must be a part of any honest gear review worth its salt.

The funniest thing I saw over at that ASR site was a dude worried about his amp having less than "top notch" measurements, but the speakers he was using definitely did not have a flat frequency response anyway. :duh:

Don't get too hung up on this stuff especially if you don't understand it, man. The only thing that's truly important is that you like what you're hearing. If you like it and it sounds natural and realistic to you, then how "wrong" could it truly be irrespective of measurements?
« Last Edit: 9 May 2021, 09:40 pm by RDavidson »

rotarius

Re: ASR Review of Spark
« Reply #2 on: 9 May 2021, 11:02 pm »
Correct, there are many amps that measure well that are a bit on the sterile side when connected to my speakers. Where the ASR reviews are helpful are the power and channel balance measurements.  Most well designed amps have a flat response, so the bass roll off is the most concerning aspect of the review and the claimed power output of course.