A fun speaker.

Folsom

Re: A fun speaker.
« Reply #100 on: 17 May 2021, 04:51 pm »
All the Radian coaxes will be greater than a $1K build.  :wink:

Exactly why I was talking about the LGK+tweeter+bipolar bass that isn't super expensive or needing ginormous boxes. Such a speaker could still get pretty darn loud, the LGK with limited range should play fairly loud. Obviously it wouldn't be intended for as good of 3D soundstage due to shape being like a classic, but that's not the point.

Skilly

« Reply #101 on: 17 May 2021, 10:33 pm »
Folsom,

Now you are talking my language.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #102 on: 18 May 2021, 05:47 pm »
Another idea I had was to combine the lower sealed cabinet of the X-Statiks with the NX Studio on top but as a complete tower. 

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #103 on: 18 May 2021, 06:09 pm »
I've seen a prototype of that! :P
It was 2 separate units, and it was originally suggested in the development thread, but I believe it didn't really achieve much more than the standard monitors.

Folsom

« Reply #104 on: 19 May 2021, 03:35 pm »
What if someone builds the speaker, sends it to Danny, then he does X-over?

That might be the fastest way.

CaptainBill

« Reply #105 on: 16 Jun 2021, 02:51 am »
Okay guys here is the plan and challenge.

I plan on using this line of drivers. Please check them out: https://radianaudio.com/collections/coaxials-ferrite

Now the next trick is to mate them with a woofer or pair of woofers below each driver that matches them in size and cabinet width.

I want to keep them an 8 ohm load so that they are easy to drive.

I would like to use the Radian woofers as well. These kits are for them also. But they currently don't have woofers that really suitably fit. They are willing to make some new variances of the woofers and higher impedance loads (like 16 ohm woofers) so that they can be paralleled to get back to 8 ohms.

And they currently do not have 8" or 10" woofers.

A lower cost all passive version might be more ideal if a sealed box is used and a low extension is not a target goal. The reason being is that a big bad speaker that plays down really low is hard to get good room balance on (heavy room gain down low) without some way to adjust the lower ranges. And large ported woofer start requiring huge air spaces.

So maybe I can figure out a passive woofer solution for the 8" and 10" coaxial models with 12" servo subs for the 12" coaxial model.

Now return to the discussion.

Can these rival well setup Altec 604 coaxial speakers in sensitivity and sound quality?  Looking for something to pair with a 8 watt SET amp. 

Shives

• I like French fries
« Reply #106 on: 16 Jun 2021, 02:34 pm »
What if someone builds the speaker, sends it to Danny, then he does X-over?

That might be the fastest way.

Yes, he will build a network. But email him first, and see when is best to send it. I would also consider his drivers, what he uses and designs to help the fact of him building one. In other words, don’t put the tweeter out of alignment.. or 10 inches away. My suggestion, could be wrong but come close to what he does. Over lap the tweeter with mid. Send him your thoughts, when you want to send him the speaker. Depending on your drivers (I would use his) He may have a network design ready.

Just email info@GR-research.com when you gather all your ideas and thoughts.

Folsom

« Reply #107 on: 16 Jun 2021, 05:36 pm »
Yes, he will build a network. But email him first, and see when is best to send it. I would also consider his drivers, what he uses and designs to help the fact of him building one. In other words, don’t put the tweeter out of alignment.. or 10 inches away. My suggestion, could be wrong but come close to what he does. Over lap the tweeter with mid. Send him your thoughts, when you want to send him the speaker. Depending on your drivers (I would use his) He may have a network design ready.

Just email info@GR-research.com when you gather all your ideas and thoughts.

Right, I'm not building them myself. And unfortunately he doesn't have any larger bass/midbass drivers which is why I specified other brands that could work. What I'd really want is the LGK, if it's coming in.

hawkeyejw

« Reply #108 on: 16 Jun 2021, 06:09 pm »
Right, I'm not building them myself. And unfortunately he doesn't have any larger bass/midbass drivers which is why I specified other brands that could work. What I'd really want is the LGK, if it's coming in.

Sounds like the production run is starting soon on these based on the update from Hobbs the other day.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #109 on: 16 Jun 2021, 06:18 pm »
Yeah, LGK 2.0 prototypes look really nice too.