El84 vs 2a3 tubes

Docere

Re: El84 vs 2a3 tubes
« Reply #20 on: 18 Nov 2020, 10:50 am »
How different human beings are in my country 2A3 is called the Triode of emotion.

What drivers are usually use for 45/2A3 ?

True that FRM. I don’t find 2A3 unemotional either, but I have seen it mentioned a few times. Maybe unemotional is not general opinion though. I think some folks can find them a bit nervous or bare... not bright or harsh though. I think it really depends on the tube and how it is being used.

Lots of options for 2A3 and 45 drivers. The 45 is rather easy to drive, if requiring a bit more voltage swing, and the 2A3 requiring a lower impedance drive to avoid mild high frequency roll off, if that matters; 2-stage amps can be easily achieved. Many use a single 6SL7 or even 6SN7 or similar. Or 12AT7 or similar. Sometimes SRPP arrangements and the like. Yamamoto uses those low-gm doorknob WE pentodes. I use 6C6 pentodes (direct coupled). Not sure if anyone is using DHT or how well that would work. EL84 in either triode or pentode could be nice. Some use the little high-gm, high gain triodes and pentodes but I’d probably try other options first.
« Last Edit: 19 Nov 2020, 09:10 am by Docere »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: El84 vs 2a3 tubes
« Reply #21 on: 18 Nov 2020, 11:59 am »
Gracias  :thumb: