Kludge DIY Headphone Amp in the house

Freo-1

Kludge DIY Headphone Amp in the house
« on: 12 Nov 2020, 03:58 pm »
Just picked up a DIY Kludge Headphone amp from my buddy who makes all sorts of gear for people.  The schematic is from a old Vacuum Tube Valley issue#11, dtd 1999.  It's a pretty simple OTL design, using a 6SL7 and a 6080 or a 6AS7 tube.  It's got pretty good power, and sounds very clean. 

Here are some pictures:

JakeJ

Re: Kludge DIY Headphone Amp in the house
« Reply #1 on: 13 Nov 2020, 02:11 am »
Very cool, Freo-1.  Any experience with other tube headphone amps to give us a comparison to?  I have zero experience with tube headphone gear but a fair amount with amps, preamps, buffers, etc.

Been toying with getting another set of Stax.  I tried a high-end IEM but got tired of them pretty quickly.  Then I tried some Audeze but didn't care for the sonic signature.  I did pick up a pair of Massdrop/Sennheiser Jubilee 58xx, meh.  What cans are you using?

Freo-1

« Reply #2 on: 13 Nov 2020, 02:28 am »
I have Focal Elear and JPS Abyss 1266 phi CC.   This amp can drive both cans, but there's more headroom with the Elear. 

My primary headphone amp is  mjolnir-audio Pure Bipolar SS, which is a great amp.  Just wanted to try a tube headphone amp to get some warmth for Jazz and Blues. 

I generally have steered clear of tube headphone amps, due to a lack of power.  The Kludge design has sufficient power available to drive a wide variety of both low and high impedance cans. 

This has some similarities to the Bottlehead crack,  but this to me is a better design,  and safer as well. 

Freo-1

« Reply #3 on: 13 Nov 2020, 02:30 am »
BTW, I had Stax 007s, and IMHO, the 1266 is better. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 13 Nov 2020, 02:44 am »
Do you think it can drive the Hifimans 35 ohms 90dB ?

Freo-1

« Reply #5 on: 13 Nov 2020, 02:51 am »
It would be usable if you didn't use parametic EQ.  I was able to drive the 1266, which has similar specs.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 13 Nov 2020, 03:00 am »
Thanks  :thumb:
6080 is a military very nice tube.

Freo-1

« Reply #7 on: 13 Nov 2020, 03:06 am »
It is a nice tube.  This amp has good sound.