Favorite Tube Integrated

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Favorite Tube Integrated
« Reply #20 on: 20 Mar 2020, 03:38 am »
Jolida USA had a monoblock amp with two 211 per channel at 150W in UL dont remember the price.
https://www.usatubeaudio.com/product/amplification/power-amps/jolida-jd3000a/

decooney

« Reply #21 on: 22 Mar 2020, 04:34 am »
I am looking at integrated tube amplifiers. Suggestions and favorites please. Criteria: 65wpc or more and current production or a newer model available. Hybrids acceptable. Budget-TBD.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Don

Hello Don,
Identifying your speakers/sensitivity, budget limit, room size, and what volume levels you listen at helps folks to make reasonable recommendations. As a custom speaker builder having owned several SS amps, Tube integrateds, SET/Triode amps, Strapped Triode tube amps up to 100wpc and more, Push-Pull tube mono block amps (currently) each has something to offer..  Some of the best SS amp designers seek to make them sound a bit like tube amps. Perhaps If I've learned anything about matching - it all starts with your room and your speakers.  As for sound, tone, and every performance descriptor out there about SS vs. tube debates, it really comes down to what your ears and brain prefers most.

What speakers do you have now and do you plan to keep them long term or replace them eventually?

jhm731

« Reply #22 on: 22 Mar 2020, 04:42 am »

dwell

« Reply #23 on: 7 Apr 2020, 09:42 pm »
Having owned 5-6 tube amps over the years (mostly in the $1k range and some DIY based) I’m currently enjoying the Coincident dynamo 34se mk2 which I find to be a very good amp.  It plays cleaner with more detail where my old tube amps would get a little too warm & mushy.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #24 on: 25 Apr 2020, 02:52 pm »
I'm a solid state guy, but have tried tubes a few times with mixed success.  But have heard tube palpability in one amp which was glorious.  But not sure if it was real or an artificial exaggeration and it was the same amp that had bass bloat (original Decware Torii).  That taste still haunts me. 

Cabin life

« Reply #25 on: 31 May 2020, 12:54 am »
I have really enjoyed my Jolida jd202brc.

chgolatin2

« Reply #26 on: 8 Jul 2020, 03:05 pm »
When it comes to SETs, there are very good SETs and there are run of the mill SETs. A very good SET will leave a very good PP amp sonically in the dust. A run of the mill SET may face competition from a decent PP.

But since the OP wants more than SET power, a SET isn’t a viable solution. Enter the Cherry Maraschino. $1900 will get you 200 x 2 of the cleanest and most musical watts money can buy. I can PM you a list of names you can discreetly inquire as to what amps they’ve used before and where they once stood on the question of tubes.

Just so you know, the Cherry STM isn’t exactly eye candy / audio jewelry. It’s stripped down minimalist bare bones, just like a racing car - no bells and whistles - it’s sole purpose is maximum sound quality and nothing more.

You see lots of Devialet’s frequently come up for sale on the used market. Not so with the Cherry Maraschino. Unless you’re moving up the line, it is truly an end game amplifier.

Never heard of the brand of name Cherry Maraschino, can you enligthend me, please...

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #27 on: 8 Jul 2020, 03:14 pm »
Never heard of the brand of name Cherry Maraschino, can you enligthend me, please...
One of the best Class D in any price range, hi sound quality at low prices.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=174.0

https://www.cherryamp.com/maraschino

chgolatin2

« Reply #28 on: 8 Jul 2020, 04:53 pm »
One of the best Class D in any price range, hi sound quality at low prices.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=174.0

https://www.cherryamp.com/maraschino

Oh class D?  Solid-state?  No thanks... I think the OP was asking about a Tube Integrated amp, not solid-state...

mav52

« Reply #29 on: 8 Jul 2020, 07:30 pm »
PrimaLuna integrateds

morganc

« Reply #30 on: 9 Jul 2020, 05:00 am »
Don Sachs is producing a new tube integrated not yet on his site.   I'd give him a call. I don't think you'll find better.

mick wolfe

« Reply #31 on: 9 Jul 2020, 04:20 pm »
The Erhard Audio Basie looks to be extremely well built and versatile.....plus reasonably priced. Can be used as both a separate pre-amp, separate power amp or just an integrated. I own the Erhard Audio Elvis so I'm confident in recommending his products. This based on value, not to mention build and sound quality.

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #32 on: 9 Jul 2020, 04:32 pm »
Don Sachs is producing a new tube integrated not yet on his site.   I'd give him a call. I don't think you'll find better.

looks awesome.

http://www.dsachsconsulting.com/valhalla%20integrated.html

morganc

« Reply #33 on: 9 Jul 2020, 05:30 pm »
A melody AN845 just appeared on USAudio as well.  That's an outstanding amp!  I've owned its sister and if he had the original box for shipping I would buy it. 

Don_S

« Reply #34 on: 9 Jul 2020, 05:53 pm »
Thanks to everyone who responded. I believe a good thread serves more than the OP so existing and additional suggestions and information might be useful to others now and in the future.

I read every post and considered some of the suggestions. I have purchased a VAC Sigma 170i. VAC equipment impressed me several times at audio shows and I felt stretching my budget for a now-I-am-done integrated would be less expensive than future swaps. Certainly worth the piece of mind. Now I won't wonder about amp "B". I am not saying there are not better integrateds. I do not know. I am merely deciding to love the one I'm with and find something else to obsess about.  :lol:

rockadanny

« Reply #35 on: 9 Jul 2020, 09:02 pm »
@morganc ...
Don Sachs is producing a new tube integrated not yet on his site.
Any idea the power on that?

JackD

« Reply #36 on: 9 Jul 2020, 09:39 pm »
Congrats Don, Kevin makes great gear.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #37 on: 9 Jul 2020, 10:08 pm »
@morganc ... Any idea the power on that?

Don has rated it as 30wpc, but said it's actually 33wpc. It's in the description on his website in morganc's link.  :thumb:

Michael

rockadanny

« Reply #38 on: 10 Jul 2020, 05:44 pm »
Thank you Michael  :thumb:

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #39 on: 10 Jul 2020, 06:02 pm »
.  ...But not sure if it was real or an artificial exaggeration and it was the same amp that had bass bloat (original Decware Torii).  That taste still haunts me.
If you get the opportunity, try any of the David Berning designed ZOTL tube amplifiers. The most accessible are the Linear Tube Audio licensed builds. Because there isn't a traditional output transformer they have solid state like control of the woofers with low output impedance, and excellent top end extension.  That's something few transformer coupled tube amplifiers are capable of doing, and generally only done by the most expensive ones.  Can be paired with virtually any speakers and no coloration, just the tube magic. Most are available as integrated.