SlimCenter 7.0 and JIVE remote

Wayne1

SlimCenter 7.0 and JIVE remote
« on: 10 Nov 2007, 01:33 am »
About two months ago, Logitech/SlimDevices released their beta version of SlimCenter 7.0

This is the replacement software/firmware for SlimServer.

I finally downloaded the latest version today. The user interface is improved quite a bit. The ability to create playlists is much improved. There are numerous upgrades to make this software a lot easier to use for the complete novice AND experienced user.

I do suggest SqueezeBox users give this a try. There have been some posts on AA that suggest the latest firmware might change the sound of the SB.

It is too early for me to tell, but I do like the improvement to the UI.

http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/nightly/latest/7.0/

About the same time, SlimDevices sent out some beta development kits for their JIVE remote platform.

I "think" this is what the SqueezeBox4 will be all about. Here are some pictures of this really cool remote for the SB

Here are some of the particulars about this remote.

- 2.4" color TFT LCD, 240x320 pixels, 16bpp
- Mechanical scroll wheel
- 10 backlit buttons (play, add, go, home, back, vol-/+, rew, pause,
fwd)
- Samsung ARM9 CPU (S3C2412), 200MHz
- 64MB NAND flash
- 64MB mobile SDRAM
- Headphone jack
- Built-in speaker
- IR LED
- SD card slot
- 1250 mAh Li-Ion battery
- 3 axis accelerometer (for motion sensing)
- Charging stand
- Expansion connector that brings out: serial, USB (host or device),
audio out, audio in, 3.3v out, 5v in

I CAN'T wait until this is in general release. It will work with ANY SB. Goodbye Nokia. Hello JIVE  :wink:
« Last Edit: 10 Nov 2007, 01:54 am by Wayne1 »

Bigfish

Re: SlimCenter 7.0 and JIVE remote
« Reply #1 on: 10 Nov 2007, 01:36 am »
Kool!  :thumb:  Darn Wayne, you have added another item to the wish list :duh:

Ken

TomS

« Reply #2 on: 10 Nov 2007, 01:37 am »
Looks pretty cool.  Thanks for the heads up on this.  I haven't been paying much attention the SD forum lately.

tonyptony

« Reply #3 on: 10 Nov 2007, 03:25 am »
Wayne, I've been following this for a bit on the Slimdevices forums. There are some really interesting sounding advancements with SlimCenter, but I haven't moved yet because I haven't been able to find out if the v.15 FW will still work with this version. I checked the AA thread about the FW, and once again there is no reasonable test that has been done to compare it to our "standard" (v.15). I could do it myself, but I'm afraid of screwing up my existing SlimServer configuration.

Note that in the above statement I am NOT suggesting that the only good test is a DBT. Let's not get that discussion launched into the air here!

TomS

« Reply #4 on: 10 Nov 2007, 03:30 am »
I'm kind of in the same boat on the server side.  My 6.5.4 install on ClarkConnect Linux has been so no-touch I don't want to risk screwing it up!  Not sure if 7.0 runs on it yet either.  Sounds very interesting though.

ctviggen

« Reply #5 on: 10 Nov 2007, 11:43 am »
About two months ago, Logitech/SlimDevices released their beta version of SlimCenter 7.0

This is the replacement software/firmware for SlimServer.

I finally downloaded the latest version today. The user interface is improved quite a bit. The ability to create playlists is much improved. There are numerous upgrades to make this software a lot easier to use for the complete novice AND experienced user.

I do suggest SqueezeBox users give this a try. There have been some posts on AA that suggest the latest firmware might change the sound of the SB.

It is too early for me to tell, but I do like the improvement to the UI.

http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/nightly/latest/7.0/

[cut]
I CAN'T wait until this is in general release. It will work with ANY SB. Goodbye Nokia. Hello JIVE  :wink:

Wayne,

What's the ServiceEnabler do?  Also, I like that remote, but I actually use the Nokia 770 more for its web surfing ability than to control the SB.

ctviggen

« Reply #6 on: 10 Nov 2007, 11:45 am »
By the way, I'm going to install the software.  If I have one complaint about the SB, is that the software interface is hard to use.  Particularly for making making playlists of any length, where the SB's interface is terrible compared to the iPod's.

ctviggen

« Reply #7 on: 10 Nov 2007, 11:54 am »
OK, I don't understand why I have to enter my info into the Squeeze Network?  I don't want them to know my name, address, or email.  What's the deal?  You can't finish installation without doing that.  I may have to go back to the original software.

ctviggen

« Reply #8 on: 10 Nov 2007, 12:01 pm »
I guess they don't know your address, but do know your email address and name.  That's unacceptable.  I'll never purchase anything from their system and they don't have a need to know.  I can't stand that every company now wants to know your information.  It's wrong.  Same with iTunes -- they need to know your info, even though I've never purchased anything and never will.

As for the interface, all I can say is that it's flashy.  I'll update once I get a chance to use it.

gbeard

• Contributing writer--Positive Feedback
« Reply #9 on: 10 Nov 2007, 12:14 pm »
Hi all,

I am going to install it this weekend and see how she goes. I had read a few comments about it being slowl but I welcome the change to a less clunky interface. Wayne, others, comments?

Wayne, I am gonna get myself on da remote list!! That is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay cool.  :thumb:

Still a SB addict. (Wayne, I still miss your Boulder unit too--wish that had worked out differently) I have been ripping LPs slowly but shirley  :wink:. Last night: The MOFI version of Little Feat's Waiting for Columbus. IMHO, one of the top 10 all time greatest live albums!  :rock: Sounds great on the RWA SB2 too!

GB

Thump553

« Reply #10 on: 10 Nov 2007, 12:30 pm »
By the way, I'm going to install the software.  If I have one complaint about the SB, is that the software interface is hard to use.  Particularly for making making playlists of any length, where the SB's interface is terrible compared to the iPod's.

I'm almost universally registered as John Smith, 12 Main Street, etc. for all these types of nosy vendors. Hopefully this person doesn't actually exist.

I learned my lesson once when I gave my actual email addy to my mortgage lender (Countrywide, the jerks).  Even though I have never been late in many years, I get several emails a month from them, including one in the last few days of the month-a so called "gentle reminder" that I have a payment coming due next month.  Countrywide also ignores my repeated emails to stop spamming me.  I don't you why I was stupid enough to give them my main email addy rather than a spam one.

sleepysurf

• Member of the Suncoast Audiophile Society
    • Suncoast Audiophile Society
« Reply #11 on: 10 Nov 2007, 01:56 pm »
SqueezeCenter (formerly SlimServer) v7.0 is still in beta, so install at your own risk.  Personally, I'm waiting for it's official release.

gbeard

• Contributing writer--Positive Feedback
« Reply #12 on: 10 Nov 2007, 02:15 pm »
Well, I just set up SqueezeCenter. My preliminary impressions are very favorable. I do sense an improved sound (more relaxed -less strident perhaps? Okay, pile on!  :lol:) and the interface is clearly better. It isn't as slow as I thought it might be, but I am using Ethernet now, not wireless. I did have one problem on Random Mix, when a track played and then subsequently puked at the end. That seems to have been a one time event.  :dunno:

All in all, I am very happy that Slim Devices (Logitech) is pushing the continued development of the software instead of abandoning it for a new product that uses another platform.

Cheers,
Gb

BradJudy

« Reply #13 on: 10 Nov 2007, 03:45 pm »
Interesting.  I was leaning towards getting a Sonos setup because the remote makes accessing music much easier for others, but this could even things out. 

Anyone know what the Jive remote will be selling for?

slow_down

« Reply #14 on: 10 Nov 2007, 03:57 pm »
I guess they don't know your address, but do know your email address and name.  That's unacceptable.  I'll never purchase anything from their system and they don't have a need to know.

I completely agree, and in those instances will always give a fake name and a secondary yahoo address I made just for situations like that.

Tweaker

« Reply #15 on: 10 Nov 2007, 08:26 pm »
I just installed SqueezeCenter on my office computer to test and when it came to the Squeeze network sign in screen I just left the fields blank and skipped it and now have SqueezeCenter running without having to enter any personal info, fake or otherwise.
« Last Edit: 10 Nov 2007, 10:22 pm by Tweaker »

Tweaker

« Reply #16 on: 10 Nov 2007, 09:20 pm »
I've been running firmware 15 and I'm going to go out on a limb and say that my initial impression is that the Slimcenter 7.0 sounds better. Not exactly easy to switch back and forth between two computers for comparison, especially since going back to 15 forces a factory reset, but I'm thinking at this stage 7.0 is a keeper.

tonyptony

« Reply #17 on: 11 Nov 2007, 12:46 am »
Tweaker, what FW is running with SC7?

Tweaker

« Reply #18 on: 11 Nov 2007, 12:52 am »
Tweaker, what FW is running with SC7?
Version 83.
I'm definitely impressed with the sound. It's gorgeous! I'm installing SlimSqueeze on the server and saying bye-bye to 15.
I would caution anyone reading this to understand that this is with my system, ears, and brain... :drool:
My ability to revert back to 15 is pretty easy so this wasn't a risk for me to try. Hopefully others will take the dive and can confirm what I am hearing.

tonyptony

« Reply #19 on: 11 Nov 2007, 03:23 am »
Version 83.
I'm definitely impressed with the sound. It's gorgeous! I'm installing SlimSqueeze on the server and saying bye-bye to 15.
I would caution anyone reading this to understand that this is with my system, ears, and brain... :drool:
My ability to revert back to 15 is pretty easy so this wasn't a risk for me to try. Hopefully others will take the dive and can confirm what I am hearing.

Sounds like good news. By any chance, Tweaker, did you try to see if 15 will even work with SC7?