Gonna taste Magnepan appetizer (LRS). Which flavor?

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Re: Gonna taste Magnepan appetizer (LRS). Which flavor?
« Reply #20 on: 21 Jul 2019, 08:33 pm »
When I had Magnepan 3.6 speakers.. about two years in (like 2012? 2013) I added some 7/8's inch thick nominal 1" boards. like 3" wide to the sides AS AN EXPERIMENT. 
All I did was tape the same height from carpet at the top of speaker wood trim with a bit of 'storage packing tape' (which when new is a lot easier to remove, particularly if you fold the very end over like a pull tag) and placed a shorter board against the back to shore it in place.
After that, I took off the Tweeter side extra board.. then after maybe a good couple of months. got boards 6" wide (red oak if you need to know) unfinished.. And just stuck them up against the crook behind the wood trim on only the bass side (Which for me was the outside with  tweeters in). So the six inch board stuck out an additional five inches... Better bass response. Plus it made the 3.6 as wide as the 20.7
I had those ON my 3.6 for at least five years,, just laying there. held up with the bit of packing tape and the half as tall board (like three inches wide) wedged to press against the back of the 'addition'. (I am lazy. it worked fine. so why bother doing more?)
Worked well. I was happy.
I have no need of more bass on my 20.7

kmmd

« Reply #21 on: 21 Jul 2019, 09:55 pm »
As an FYI, Magnepan does sell replacement fabric.  I changed the ones on my cherry wood 3.6's.  I may explore the gray fabric option, but my 1.6's, 10's and CC3 are all black.

Saturn94

« Reply #22 on: 21 Jul 2019, 10:00 pm »
As an FYI, Magnepan does sell replacement fabric.  I changed the ones on my cherry wood 3.6's.  I may explore the gray fabric option, but my 1.6's, 10's and CC3 are all black.

How difficult was it to change?

kmmd

« Reply #23 on: 21 Jul 2019, 10:12 pm »
How difficult was it to change?

For the 3.6's. the fabric came with the plastic inserts glued to it. They came in two pieces, one for the ribbon tweeter and the other for the bass panel.  Removal is easy, but you really have to be careful stretching the fabric and inserting the plastic strips.  The edges were very difficult.  Oops I meant corners

Early B.

« Reply #24 on: 21 Jul 2019, 10:13 pm »
...but everyone I know who has the luxury of being able to pull them further out into the room definitely prefers it that way.

Yep. Maggies belong in a larger room to sound their best. If you don't have sufficient space, consider another speaker. That's like buying a Lamborghini and driving it under the speed limit -- you'll never know how much fun it can be.

Elizabeth

« Reply #25 on: 21 Jul 2019, 11:06 pm »
According to the person above... I can't even own the 20.7s ""gee your room is too small. you cannot possibly get anything out of them so give up sell them and buy BOSE.""( sic)
Call him the magiieNazi calling out: No Maggies For YOU!  :thumb:
So I should go buy SOMETHING ELSE???
Please send me the $75,000 so I can buy the speakers I really want MBL 101E Radialstrahler. If you send the money, you can have my Maggies...  :thumb:
« Last Edit: 22 Jul 2019, 02:45 pm by Elizabeth »

Saturn94

« Reply #26 on: 21 Jul 2019, 11:21 pm »
I sent an email asking for fabric samples.  You think they’ll send some?

The company I bought my sub from, Power Sound Audio, was happy to send finish samples when I was sub shopping. They even included a travel mug with the samples.  :thumb:  Hopefully, Magnepan will be as accommodating.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #27 on: 21 Jul 2019, 11:48 pm »
Let me know when you put the 20.7s up for sale.
I hear that Bose Wave Radio is really quite something.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #28 on: 22 Jul 2019, 12:07 am »
Elizabeth, I totally agree with you about placement.  I have mine 3' from the back wall and tried them at 4' in my 17x17 room with 9 foot ceilings and the improvement in sound was minimal.  While I have no doubt that Maggies will sound even better further out, at 3' mine sound fantastic.  They blew away a pair of spatial audio M3's and a pair of PSB T3's that I purchased.  Still have the 1.6's and the T3's are being sold.

jhm731

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #30 on: 22 Jul 2019, 01:13 am »
I had a pair of MG12Qrs in the white fabric with dark cherry rails and thought they looked awesome. As for replacing the fabric, I replaced the fabric on a pair of 1.6s. What a pain it was; never seen so many staples. The fabric I used was speaker grill cloth purchased from parts express.
This is with new fabric:

Saturn94

« Reply #31 on: 22 Jul 2019, 03:09 am »
LRS Review:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/magnepan-lrs-loudspeaker-0

Thanks for the link.  I just read that earlier today. 👍

I had a pair of MG12Qrs in the white fabric with dark cherry rails and thought they looked awesome. As for replacing the fabric, I replaced the fabric on a pair of 1.6s. What a pain it was; never seen so many staples. The fabric I used was speaker grill cloth purchased from parts express.
This is with new fabric:

Thanks for the pic. :D

Wind Chaser

« Reply #32 on: 22 Jul 2019, 08:31 am »
I guess it just bugs the hell out of me that folks say you cant do have be whatever, because THEY decided it has to be so.

:o :scratch:

Any speaker will sound better when pulled out further into the room, but with Maggies it is absolutely essential, assuming you want to hear what they are truly capable of. If not, why bother running them with high end electronics?

And did you OWN them in a small room...

Yes, two different models in two different rooms. In addition to that I’ve heard numerous models in numerous rooms of various shapes and sizes. The bottomline is bigger rooms have more potential than smaller rooms, and Maggies like all other speakers sound better when positioned further out into the room away from the walls.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #33 on: 22 Jul 2019, 01:58 pm »
:o :scratch:

Any speaker will sound better when pulled out further into the room, but with Maggies it is absolutely essential, assuming you want to hear what they are truly capable of. If not, why bother running them with high end electronics?

Yes, two different models in two different rooms. In addition to that I’ve heard numerous models in numerous rooms of various shapes and sizes. The bottomline is bigger rooms have more potential than smaller rooms, and Maggies like all other speakers sound better when positioned further out into the room away from the walls.

One can put them in any room if they so desire. However as stated correctly WILL perform so much better in proper sized room. We are offering suggestions not dictating Maggie Law.
Set up is critical with Maggies for Optimum performance. If one is happy with getting what they get so be it. I think we are ALL trying to help from experience.
So take all with a grain of salt and enjoy your decisions.

charles

Wind Chaser

« Reply #34 on: 22 Jul 2019, 04:41 pm »
One can put them in any room if they so desire. However as stated correctly WILL perform so much better in proper sized room. We are offering suggestions not dictating Maggie Law.
Set up is critical with Maggies for Optimum performance. If one is happy with getting what they get so be it.

I have a buddy who was a Maggie dealer and when we delivered them to the customer we'd set them up according to their wishes, which all too often was far from ideal. But we always made a point of mentioning that they will sound better further away from the walls and that they are easy to move. However despite our passion for sound quality, some people seemed more interested in decor.  :|

Wind Chaser

« Reply #35 on: 22 Jul 2019, 04:49 pm »
Elizabeth, I totally agree with you about placement.  I have mine 3' from the back wall and tried them at 4' in my 17x17 room with 9 foot ceilings and the improvement in sound was minimal.

Okay, 12 inches didn't make much of a difference, but only a few hours earlier you said...

"Play around with positioning, even 1/2" can make a huge difference."  :slap:

Elizabeth

« Reply #36 on: 22 Jul 2019, 04:55 pm »
Okay, 12 inches didn't make much of a difference, but only a few hours earlier you said...

"Play around with positioning, even 1/2" can make a huge difference."

Both can be true. If you actually experiment enough, moving them a foot can do nothing. But later on... moving them even a half an inch can be amazing. Been there done that.
No problem with both statements, if you have do it. Maybe a problem if all you do is imagine it.

Saturn94

« Reply #37 on: 22 Jul 2019, 11:27 pm »
Maybe start another thread to debate Maggie placement?

This thread is about cosmetics, not placement.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #38 on: 23 Jul 2019, 12:47 am »
I’d like to try Maggies in my room/system.  The main issue I have is the limited space I can give behind them (3ft MAX, puts them 7ft to the main listening position).

You have conflicting opinions about the main issue as stated above. As for the secondary issue of cosmetics, that is only something you can decide.  :dunno:

Saturn94

« Reply #39 on: 23 Jul 2019, 03:24 am »
You have conflicting opinions about the main issue as stated above. As for the secondary issue of cosmetics, that is only something you can decide.  :dunno:

I only mentioned the placement restrictions to explain the primary reason I’m trying the LRS (Maggie appetizer) since I’ve read conflicting opinions about placement (just like debated in this thread).

My intent with this thread was to get others’ opinions, and hopefully pics, on fabric/trim choice.  Perhaps I didn’t communicate that clearly, or clouded the intent with the mention of placement restrictions.  Not that the placement discussion isn’t interesting, but it’s not the intended focus of this thread

Of course ultimately it’s my decision.  It is helpful though to get other’s opinions.  :D