Weird Static Encounter

NoDisco

Weird Static Encounter
« on: 14 Feb 2022, 10:39 pm »
Moved one amp. As usual, there is always some minor issue with a move in equipment. This one was new though. Plugged everything in, turned on and got music. Then one driver cuts out. Check all connections everything is where it’s supposed to be.  Then I tapped on the driver and got a small shock. Music came back! Happens again 5 minutes later. Lifted speaker cable of the floor and never had the problem again. Anyone have a similar experience? Only happened with one channel.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Weird Static Encounter
« Reply #1 on: 14 Feb 2022, 10:55 pm »
Moved one amp. As usual, there is always some minor issue with a move in equipment. This one was new though. Plugged everything in, turned on and got music. Then one driver cuts out. Check all connections everything is where it’s supposed to be.  Then I tapped on the driver and got a small shock. Music came back! Happens again 5 minutes later. Lifted speaker cable of the floor and never had the problem again. Anyone have a similar experience? Only happened with one channel.
The prob with the average current home audio system is it have too much connectors on the audio signal and even on power cables, currently no one cable are welded internally directly into the equipment circuit (no even micro Volt cartridges)  they managed to make all these extra connections standard on audio equips, and with the support of the audio magazines they managed to get the public to accept this as an evolution.

NoDisco

« Reply #2 on: 14 Feb 2022, 11:31 pm »
I think it’s some weird inductance thing. Air is very dry here.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 14 Feb 2022, 11:43 pm »
Maybe a cold joint solder or connector with too little pressure.

NoDisco

« Reply #4 on: 15 Feb 2022, 12:03 am »
Dunnow. I’ve had all this gear for awhile, and for it to discharge through the speaker cone into my finger suggests a build up of dc. The amp sets partly on a rug and the cable rested on on fake wood tiling. But yeah for it not happen through both speakers suggests a loose connector. I explored that partly, but the only thing that worked was lifting the cable off the floor. The connectors I have on my speaker cables screw into the terminals, so no way they could have been loose.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 15 Feb 2022, 12:16 am »
Well, carpets, leather shoes and wool pullovers are big static builders that can reach high voltage(low amperage) values in the worst cases, there is those electrostatic wristbands to plug at a ground.