Movies that don't suck. .

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Movies that don't suck. .
« Reply #140 on: 1 Dec 2016, 09:23 pm »
Finally someone remastered and fixed Chimes at Midnight!!!  I'm not a huge fan of Welles in general, and I thought Citizen Kane and Magnificent Ambersons were just good but not great.  But Chimes at Midnight is freaking awesome.  Basically Welles created a movie centered around a Shakespearean character named Falstaff, who's the 'comic relief' in a bunch of plays which are all connected, from Richard II, Henry IV Part 1, Henry IV Part 2 and Henry V.  Except Welles edits and shapes things so that Falstaff is the star of this movie. 

I'd avoided watching this in the past because the picture was sh!tty and the audio was very problematic.  Criterion remastered it this year and has worked a miracle here:

ASCTLC

« Reply #141 on: 1 Dec 2016, 10:03 pm »
Watched Eddie the Eagle for the second time and enjoyed it just as much the second time around as the first.

I'd insert the image but I'm not figuring out how.

bobbyhamil

« Reply #142 on: 19 Feb 2018, 01:39 am »
2nd on tom hanks in saving private ryan.i watch it every 4 or 5 years by myself.
          also like duel in the sun and a place in the sun.

charmerci

« Reply #143 on: 19 Feb 2018, 08:33 am »
Finally someone remastered and fixed Chimes at Midnight!!!  I'm not a huge fan of Welles in general, and I thought Citizen Kane and Magnificent Ambersons were just good but not great.  But Chimes at Midnight is freaking awesome.  Basically Welles created a movie centered around a Shakespearean character named Falstaff, who's the 'comic relief' in a bunch of plays which are all connected, from Richard II, Henry IV Part 1, Henry IV Part 2 and Henry V.  Except Welles edits and shapes things so that Falstaff is the star of this movie. 

Neither am I but I was very impressed with The Third Man.

ctviggen

« Reply #144 on: 19 Feb 2018, 11:55 am »
If you have younger children (we have 7 and 10 year old girls) and want a movie for the whole family to watch, this one was great:

SPL db

« Reply #145 on: 19 Feb 2018, 01:06 pm »
Don't know if it was already mentioned, but the new Jumanji was pretty funny.  The wife and I both loved it.

Not one you have to see in the theaters by any means, but worth checking out.

dalton

« Reply #146 on: 10 Jul 2020, 08:24 pm »
It Follows is a masterwork. It takes everything I like from previous eras of film -- 80s, 90s, early 00s -- and turns it on its head.

Rover

« Reply #147 on: 15 Apr 2023, 09:57 am »
I really enjoy all of the work of Tarantino, especially the audio visual scenes. Violent, yes, but not to be taken to serious in my humble opinion.