MW LS300 ordered

Bones13

MW LS300 ordered
« on: 11 May 2023, 11:09 pm »
Finally quit my perseverations and placed an order for a black LS300 from Dan. In production, due in a few weeks.

Looking to add some mild-moderate tube magic to my system, and make it possible to upgrade my DAC over time. I did not want to keep up with a pre amp with a million tubes. A pair of rectifiers, and a matched pair of 6DJ8 (or similar) tubes should allow tube rolling for taste. It’s not hurting that one of my phono amps uses a matched pair of 6n23p tubes. (DIY K&K Maxxed Phono Amp) I need to peruse my tube boxes.

To the owners of the LS300 and Ambrose ONE pre-amps, where are your favorite tubes? Rectifier and small tubes.

Bones13

Re: MW LS300 ordered
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2023, 08:32 pm »
Spectacular sounding Pre-Amp.

Add that tube something to my system, replacing (to my ears) a bit anemic pre-amp function of the Bricasti M12. I am happier with a bit of tubes. The sound is definitely holographic, with a more "solid" sound field. (harkening back to the systems I listened to in my youth)

I listened to the stock tubes, and they are pretty good. I just swapped in some Gold Lions from Kevin at Upscale. Very nice. I have a few more to try this long weekend, but these are staying for today.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2023, 09:41 pm »
Congratulations on your tubey acquisition!

I haven't heard this preamp, but I imagine it's excellent.

kmmd

« Reply #3 on: 28 May 2023, 03:50 pm »
Congrats on your purchase!  Dan makes excellent sounding gear with top notch finish.  His customer service is superlative.  I hope to hear the LS300 some day.  I had a SWL 9SE and still have his LS36.5.

Regarding the tubes used, the 6922s are fun to roll.  I haven’t heard the Gold Lions.  I own the following for my VAC Master:  Mullard’s are warm, US made Amperex PQ’s are more neutral and defined, but my go to are the Telefunkens.  I bought a pair of Kevin’s Stash Telefunken 6922’s many years ago and then bought a cryoed pair of the same from Upscale.  Pretty pricey at around $400 each, but you get what you pay for.  I’d love to try some pinch waist Holland made Amperex 6922s some day.  I’d recommend to reach out to Brent Jessee to check his stock and review his highly informative web pages.

Have fun and happy listening!

Ken