Puritan Audio Laboratories PSM 136

Early B.

Re: Puritan Audio Laboratories PSM 136
« Reply #260 on: 1 Aug 2022, 12:35 am »
How many of you plug in your amp/ int amp in to your 156? Or is it just for front end stuff? Thanks.

I plug everything into my 156. It's designed to protect your audio gear, so I let it do what it do.

EWN

« Reply #261 on: 20 Aug 2022, 04:37 pm »
I plug everything into my 156. It's designed to protect your audio gear, so I let it do what it do.

I do the same.  I've had mine for about 6 months now and it solved all my AC problems.  I purchased direct from the UK and saved a bundle and no sales tax or VAT!  I am now contemplating a better PC for it.  Any suggestions?

Early B.

« Reply #262 on: 20 Aug 2022, 06:20 pm »
I am now contemplating a better PC for it.  Any suggestions?

I use a Wywires Platinum 20-amp power cord with Furutech FI-50 NCF (R) connector.

drummermitchell

« Reply #263 on: 20 Aug 2022, 07:22 pm »
For whole house surge protection at the mains coming into the main panel I use Environmental EP-2050

EWN

« Reply #264 on: 20 Aug 2022, 11:03 pm »
I use a Wywires Platinum 20-amp power cord with Furutech FI-50 NCF (R) connector.

Whew, that's $1K cable if not mistaken.  I'm sure my PSM 156 would like it though ... 

genjamon

« Reply #265 on: 21 Aug 2022, 03:02 am »
Genuine Furutech NCF connectors ain’t cheap. The bulk of the cost of a $1k cable, unfortunately. Not sure what you think of international intellectual property rights infringement, but I’ve had cables with the genuine Furutech and compared with some of the Chinese knockoffs. IMO the Chinese knockoffs can be close to the genuine performance, and at a quarter of the price. Just can’t vouch for all knock-offs, though.

Early B.

« Reply #266 on: 21 Aug 2022, 05:21 am »
Genuine Furutech NCF connectors ain’t cheap. The bulk of the cost of a $1k cable, unfortunately. Not sure what you think of international intellectual property rights infringement, but I’ve had cables with the genuine Furutech and compared with some of the Chinese knockoffs. IMO the Chinese knockoffs can be close to the genuine performance, and at a quarter of the price. Just can’t vouch for all knock-offs, though.

If buying new, the $1K price doesn't include the NCF connector. Nevertheless, that's been my experience, as well. Chinese knockoffs can be really good if you're willing to roll the dice with no guarantees, no returns, no warranty, and no resale value. 

The Puritan deserves a high-end power cord. There was a not-so-subtle improvement when I replaced the Purtian power cord with the Wywires. 

RPM123

« Reply #267 on: 21 Aug 2022, 05:14 pm »
Whew, that's $1K cable if not mistaken.  I'm sure my PSM 156 would like it though ...

I own several WyWire cables and I am very happy with them. Alex is offering 40% off on his cables, so that makes the platinum (or any other level) much more affordable.

AndrewA

« Reply #268 on: 21 Aug 2022, 10:14 pm »
I would have thought the obvious choice for a "better" PC would be Puritan's own Ultimate model.

Has anybody been able to compare the Ultimate with other comparably priced PCs from other companies?

Early B.

« Reply #269 on: 21 Aug 2022, 11:20 pm »
A $2K+ power conditioner deserves a comparable quality power cord. If you buy a Ferrari, would you put $89 tires on it?

drummermitchell

« Reply #270 on: 21 Aug 2022, 11:54 pm »
If a conditioner is Doing it’s job
You don’t need a 10awg cable with the 1.5” foam insulation around those three 10awg wires.
Course to impress just like the fat tires with fancy rims she looks might fine.

RPM123

« Reply #271 on: 22 Aug 2022, 02:14 am »
I would have thought the obvious choice for a "better" PC would be Puritan's own Ultimate model.

Has anybody been able to compare the Ultimate with other comparably priced PCs from other companies?

I purchased my Puritan PLC from Audio Archon and was told that in their experience the unit was fairly "agnostic" when it came to higher end power cables. Although, the owner did acknowledge that he has customers who did experience (some) improvements with higher end cables. With that being said, I ordered an "Ultimate" power cord that should arrive next week. I guess curiosity got the better of me. Plus, I was intrigued by the very limp nature of the Ultimate, that purportedly suppresses resonances. I shall see (or hear).

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #272 on: 22 Aug 2022, 11:47 am »
A $2K+ power conditioner deserves a comparable quality power cord. If you buy a Ferrari, would you put $89 tires on it?

I couldn't agree more with your comment.Since the PSM156 is gamechanger or soundchanger for sure, I decided to change the power cords on all of my components.Preamp and amp are getting Classic power cords, but cd player is getting Ultimate power cord.

AndrewA

« Reply #273 on: 22 Aug 2022, 10:14 pm »
I purchased my Puritan PLC from Audio Archon and was told that in their experience the unit was fairly "agnostic" when it came to higher end power cables. Although, the owner did acknowledge that he has customers who did experience (some) improvements with higher end cables. With that being said, I ordered an "Ultimate" power cord that should arrive next week. I guess curiosity got the better of me. Plus, I was intrigued by the very limp nature of the Ultimate, that purportedly suppresses resonances. I shall see (or hear).

Please report on your impressions once it has time to settle.

KCinSeattle

« Reply #274 on: 22 Jan 2023, 09:46 pm »

How did you like the Ultimate? Did it change the Puritan?

KCinSeattle

« Reply #275 on: 22 Jan 2023, 10:18 pm »
Enjoyed just reading through this thread. I have an office rig (next to and on the same house circuit of a dozen computer/networking equipment) currently plugged into an old Chang Lightspeed that I had around. As the system has been steadily upgraded, I'm now thinking quality power will be the next big move.

The Puritan 156 + ground master seem to subjectively to be a great quality:price point. So far it seems that there are a lot of comparisons vs Audioquest conditioners, but I'm wondering if anyone has compared it against the big marketing gorilla in the room -- Shunyata (more recent products). I'm specifically curious for your experiences on how the PSM156 compare to the Denali (V1 or V2) or current Hydra line up.

The Shunyata also have the complementary grounding Altaire line. Wonder if that can also work as well w/ the PSM?

Thanks!

Big Red Machine

« Reply #276 on: 22 Jan 2023, 11:29 pm »
When I plug my AlphaLabs Line EMI meter into my 20 amp line for the stereo I read about 400. Plugged into the PSM156 I get about 95. The last Shunyata I tried was a 6000S Denali. It didn't do sqwat for noise. I turned and burned it. Tried the Inakustik and it was very good but the 156 beat it easily.

After all that, today's system is even quieter due to the IC's and PC's. The JPS Aluminata's are so quiet I can hardly hear any hiss from the tweeters. So good I am considering not hooking up the groundmaster at this point.

https://www.audiogon.com/systems/10635?_gl=1*1gr85n*_ga*MTIzMTk1NTM3MS4xNjY2NzQ0OTM3*_ga_SR0PMVVEN1*MTY3NDQyNzQxMi4xMzEuMS4xNjc0NDI4NjIxLjkuMC4w

KCinSeattle

« Reply #277 on: 23 Jan 2023, 01:21 am »
When I plug my AlphaLabs Line EMI meter into my 20 amp line for the stereo I read about 400. Plugged into the PSM156 I get about 95. The last Shunyata I tried was a 6000S Denali. It didn't do sqwat for noise. I turned and burned it. Tried the Inakustik and it was very good but the 156 beat it easily.

Thanks for that info, interesting findings. Did the musicality/enjoyability correlate w/ the measured noise lowering? I care less about soundstaging/imaging, but more timbre quality, harshness, etc.

watts

« Reply #278 on: 14 Feb 2023, 01:00 am »

After all that, today's system is even quieter due to the IC's and PC's. The JPS Aluminata's are so quiet I can hardly hear any hiss from the tweeters. So good I am considering not hooking up the groundmaster at this point.

https://www.audiogon.com/systems/10635?_gl=1*1gr85n*_ga*MTIzMTk1NTM3MS4xNjY2NzQ0OTM3*_ga_SR0PMVVEN1*MTY3NDQyNzQxMi4xMzEuMS4xNjc0NDI4NjIxLjkuMC4w

Are you saying you prefer the Puritan psm156 over the Denali 6000? Or just that the puritan removes more emi? Not sure what "burned it" means  :o

Big Red Machine

« Reply #279 on: 14 Feb 2023, 03:24 pm »
Are you saying you prefer the Puritan psm156 over the Denali 6000? Or just that the puritan removes more emi? Not sure what "burned it" means  :o

The Denali was worthless. Sold it right away. YMMV

I do like Shunyata power cables and use their Sigma USB cable.