Tidal installation probs

jules

Tidal installation probs
« on: 26 Mar 2020, 11:03 pm »
I was given Tidal as a present, which the "giver" kindly installed for me. As a result I've had a heap of side issues including the installation of an unwanted ad-ware scanner, a change of my search engine to Bing ... grrr and the addition of a couple of microsoft "features" I didn't ask for.

I uninstalled Tidal and wrenched the other stuff back into shape but I'm wondering why this happened in the first place and if there's a way to install Tidal without the very special additions/changes?

Doublej

Re: Tidal installation probs
« Reply #1 on: 26 Mar 2020, 11:30 pm »
Are you sure he didn't install something else at the same time he installed Tidal? In my experience it is usually freeware that wreaks the havoc you've described not paid service software.

jules

« Reply #2 on: 27 Mar 2020, 12:02 am »
I think that's probably right, though I'm just checking up to see if Tidal has any strings attached, which seems unlikely.

It wasn't a freeware version.

WGH

« Reply #3 on: 27 Mar 2020, 12:11 am »
That shouldn't have happened, Tidal is clean with no add-ons unless they changed their marketing since I installed mine. Illegal BitTorrent downloads sometimes have "extras" added into the install file but I checked a few of the popular torrent sites and didn't see any hacked Tidal programs available. There may be hacked copies on the Usenet or Dark Web but I don't go there.

1.) Download the free 30 day trial Tidal from the Tidal website: https://tidal.com/
2.) Then ask the "giver" for the username and password to login
3.) Then install Tidal

If there is no user name or password or he won't give it to you then it is a unlocked/hacked copy, thank him but you don't want it.

jules

« Reply #4 on: 27 Mar 2020, 12:18 am »
Thanks WGH. I have a username and password. I'll go through the [re]-installation process myself and see what happens.

WGH

« Reply #5 on: 27 Mar 2020, 12:27 am »
Look for small boxes to uncheck while installing Tidal, they may have added the "extras". Sometimes you have to use the small Advanced option instead of the big Install button to see the extras. I haven't had to do a clean install of Tidal in a year so don't know what if anything has changed.

As an example the excellent Comodo free firewall really wants me to install their Comodo Dragon browser during install so I always have to uncheck a box. During an install you have to read every pop-up screen slowly and carefully, they put them there for a reason.

jules

« Reply #6 on: 27 Mar 2020, 01:58 am »
Thanks, the help is appreciated. I didn't do the original installation myself, though the person who did is usually quite tech savvy, hence my question here.

I'm reassured that I should be able to do the installation without any totally hidden nasties leaping out afterwards.

jules

« Reply #7 on: 27 Mar 2020, 09:55 pm »
Turns out the Tidal purchase was made through the Microsoft store and Microsoft availed themselves of the opportunity to make a few changes to my computer. I've always tried to stay away from anything involving my Microsoft account and this just confirms my annoyance with the way they operate.

WGH

« Reply #8 on: 27 Mar 2020, 10:52 pm »
I didn't do the original installation myself, though the person who did is usually quite tech savvy

Looks like you should school your tech guy about the proper place to download programs, always use the original source.
Glad you figured it out.

Doublej

« Reply #9 on: 28 Mar 2020, 12:41 pm »
There is something missing from the story. I went to the Microsoft store and installed Tidal. My browser default did not change on any of the browsers I am using.

jules

« Reply #10 on: 29 Mar 2020, 02:37 am »
Yes JJ, it's got something to do with my rejection, some time ago, of my Microsoft account. I think my friend stirred the possum, possibly by opening a Microsoft account page on my computer. If I was a good compliant Microsoft citizen I would have been spared the deluge of corrective material.