M5 Sapphire - All new M design introduction

Don_S

Re: M5 Sapphire - All new M design introduction
« Reply #100 on: 12 Sep 2019, 06:41 pm »
I see that the M3 Sapphire specs are now posted on the Spatial Website.  Was a bit surprised to see that the M3 are 4 ohms while the M5 are 8 ohms.  Should still work as well if not better with my amp.

Clayton,  What is the min impedance dip on the M3 Sapphire?  Wonder if they are a challenge for amps that are not well suited for 2 ohms.

Looks like adding a second bass driver lowered the impedance.

Spatial Audio

« Reply #101 on: 12 Sep 2019, 09:16 pm »
I see that the M3 Sapphire specs are now posted on the Spatial Website.  Was a bit surprised to see that the M3 are 4 ohms while the M5 are 8 ohms.  Should still work as well if not better with my amp.

Clayton,  What is the min impedance dip on the M3 Sapphire?  Wonder if they are a challenge for amps that are not well suited for 2 ohms.

Yes, the 2 woofers operate in parallel below 100Hz, so the impedance drops to 4 Ohms. Minimum is about 3 Ohms over a very narrow range. So, solid state amps usually work better if anything. Any decent solid state amp will work fine into a 4 Ohm load. Tube amps should have a 4 Ohm output tap for optimum performance.

Clayton

boisty

« Reply #102 on: 28 Sep 2019, 07:11 pm »
Any photos of these in black, white, or red paint as listed on the website?  Thanks!

Boisty

kheidenr

« Reply #103 on: 7 Oct 2019, 07:23 pm »
Anyone have the M3 or M5 in their listening rooms yet and can offer up a perspective on these speakers?

SnowPuppy77

« Reply #104 on: 7 Oct 2019, 07:36 pm »
Great question.  I know they started shipping last week.  Waiting for shipping confirmation for my M3 Sapphires in Sepele to show up in my inbox any day now.  Will certainly post some things after I get mine.

kheidenr

« Reply #105 on: 7 Oct 2019, 09:14 pm »
Cool!

jazzman463

« Reply #106 on: 7 Oct 2019, 11:04 pm »
Waiting on a pair of M5’s... hopefully some good listening coming soon.

kheidenr

« Reply #107 on: 7 Oct 2019, 11:58 pm »
Thx.  I am interested in particular how the mid/hi frequency driver sounds.  Very curious about the tranparency and musicality of it.

SnowPuppy77

« Reply #108 on: 8 Oct 2019, 12:14 am »
Thx.  I am interested in particular how the mid/hi frequency driver sounds.  Very curious about the tranparency and musicality of it.

Glad to share my experience and answer all I can.  Me and certainly Jazzman463 can't wait to unbox these speakers and run them in.  I am currently running a par of Spatial M3TM.  Play lots of music lately and building up an acoustic memory of key albums that I will audition on the M3 Sapphires when they arrive and have been run in.  I will give my comparisons along with music, gear, etc.

Shakeydeal

« Reply #109 on: 8 Oct 2019, 09:38 am »
Not sure if this is helpful, but if the sapphire series is anything close to the X series, you guys are in for a real treat.

Shakey

SnowPuppy77

« Reply #110 on: 8 Oct 2019, 02:35 pm »
Not sure if this is helpful, but if the sapphire series is anything close to the X series, you guys are in for a real treat.

Shakey

Hopefully will be close in some ways.  The M3/M5 15” woofers are the same as the X3 other than not being powered or DSP which I would imagine is a large advantage of the X3.  However Clayton does say that they have more nuance and impact than the current M3 woofers which is great if that is where you are coming from.  I also plan to get a Rythmik sub or two in about a year.  Possibly Spatial subs if released by then.  Lots of the classical music I listen to has organ.

A lot is riding on that new sapphire dome driver.  Does not appear to have controlled directivity like the X3 and the old M3.  But supposed to have a significantly larger stage than the old M3.  Fortunately my room has decent treatment so reflections are less of a concern.  One of the things I would like to see improved on my current M3TM is soundstage height.  Apparently the M3 Sapphire solves that.  And the sapphire driver is mounted to a separate baffle from the woofers to isolate it from vibration.  The M3 Sapphire is also 30 lbs heavier per speaker than my M3TM.  After all that there is also the lack of crossover the making the M3 Sapphire a major redesign.  Clayton says it is a significant improvement.  He told me that there is not a sonic parameter he can think of where the new M3 it is not an improvement.  So while I do not expect a speaker at the level of the X3 I am expecting something considerably different and a significant upgrade over my M3TM.

vondy

« Reply #111 on: 8 Oct 2019, 05:37 pm »
Does not appear to have controlled directivity like the X3 and the old M3.  But supposed to have a significantly larger stage than the old M3.  Fortunately my room has decent treatment so reflections are less of a concern.

I'm curious about this. One of the main reasons I went with the M3 was to eliminate most of my room problems. This would be a concern for me if I ever wanted to upgrade to the Sapphires.

Spatial Audio

« Reply #112 on: 8 Oct 2019, 06:06 pm »
I'm curious about this. One of the main reasons I went with the M3 was to eliminate most of my room problems. This would be a concern for me if I ever wanted to upgrade to the Sapphires.

Hi Vondy,

Most room issues are in the bass range, where box speakers excite a lot of rooms resonances. So with the Sapphire models being dipolar below 575Hz, most of the benefits are still there. The only issue would if your room is overly live, like a lot of glass, tile, etc. In that case, the X series is a better choice with the AMT's controlled radiation pattern in the treble range.

Clayton
www.spatialaudio.us

SnowPuppy77

« Reply #113 on: 8 Oct 2019, 06:14 pm »

I am sure Clayton would have better insight on this.  One thing about open baffle speakers is the sound nulls at the sides of the speaker.  I am sure you have noticed this with your M3s.  This alone to a degree helps with room issues.  That said the dispersion of the dome will be more than 80 degrees.  Probably more of an issue with large rooms and/or listening further back from speakers.  I will be sure and share anything I notice with respect to this. 

I had room issues as well.  Bass overload and uneven reinforcement due to left side with wall and right side open to the other half of the room.  My old speakers had too much bass boost and an image shifted to the left.  Spatials have none of these issues in my room.  I am thinking the M3 Sapphires will do fine but will not know till I have spent some time with them.

Superflam

« Reply #114 on: 14 Oct 2019, 01:36 pm »
Hello all,

My first post here. I am about to receive the M5 Sapphires that I purchased and am really excited to hear them. Has anyone received theirs yet and have any first impressions they care to share?

Thanks,
Joe

SnowPuppy77

« Reply #115 on: 14 Oct 2019, 02:51 pm »
Hello all,

My first post here. I am about to receive the M5 Sapphires that I purchased and am really excited to hear them. Has anyone received theirs yet and have any first impressions they care to share?

Thanks,
Joe

Sounds like you will be getting your M5 before I get my M3 as I do not have a shipment notice yet.  Look forward to hearing your impressions.  I am thinking that if the M5 sounds as good as we hope it does it will be a big seller.  Has very nice aesthetics.  Which veneer did you choose?

Superflam

« Reply #116 on: 14 Oct 2019, 03:45 pm »
I wasnt too picky about finish. The Walnut looked good to me.

jazzman463

« Reply #117 on: 14 Oct 2019, 04:25 pm »
Hey Superflam, I am also waiting on a pair of M5's. Keep us in the loop and send some pics our way...back view if possible. What size room you putting them in, and what kind of power ?

Superflam

« Reply #118 on: 14 Oct 2019, 05:40 pm »
Hi Jazzman!

My room is about 15' x 10' x 8' and I'm powering them with a Rogue Cronus Magnum III amp. They are scheduled to be delivered this Wednesday and I'm taking Thursday off from work to spend time with them!

When are yours scheduled for?

Thanks,
Joe

SnowPuppy77

« Reply #119 on: 14 Oct 2019, 07:28 pm »
Hi Jazzman!

My room is about 15' x 10' x 8' and I'm powering them with a Rogue Cronus Magnum III amp. They are scheduled to be delivered this Wednesday and I'm taking Thursday off from work to spend time with them!

When are yours scheduled for?

Thanks,
Joe

I have been interested in the Cronos Magnum III amp for some time.  Would like to hear more about your impression with regard to that amp as well.