Should I upgrade McCormack DNA-.5 Rev.A to Schiit Ragnarok for KEF LS-50 speaks.

DZetye

considering this upgrade and need to act fast.  is it worthwhile?

jk@home

According to some main stream reviewers on the net, it may be. Only way to know is to compare the two. The 15 day return policy of Schiit is pretty short, IMHO. Considering breakin time, may not even be long enough.

As the owner of LS50s, being driven by a big old SS amp (Aragon) I've been on the lookout for the "perfect" amp upgrade for the KEFs, as I don't rotate equipment like some folks, more as a long term investment. There probably are quite a few of them out there that would work fine. I've read reviewers raving about pairings with Rogue, W4Sound Mamps, AVA Ultravalve. Plus many more owners recommending other brands.

Also, AFAIK, there are not too many KEF LS50 owners on this site. You may want to try Audio Asylum, Steve Hoffman, and AudioKarma (they have a dedicated thread there in the New Gear-Values section.

mick wolfe

What "jk" said. Audition is essential. No way of knowing it will beat the McCormack. Trust your ear, not an opinion of pure speculation that might pop up here.

undertow

I have owned many versions of the McCormack amps over the years including the top level .5 DNA Platinums, and 1.0 DNA Platinums.

To this day there has been no amp "Better" overall. Different, more expensive etc... Yeah sure.

Head to head with Clayton Mono blocks pure Class A, or Mcintosh MC402 really the McCormacks still sound very capable, especially with the Plitron Transformer upgrade they will drive anything down to .5 ohm load.

A couple things to keep in mind trying to drop a McCormack out of your system is not only do they drive anything, but they have VERY high gain honestly. Around 31 to 32 db input at 100,000 ohms which also makes them far more powerful than many amps from the "Low volume" perspective. I had a BOW which was about a 6000.00 amp from a local dealer to test out. It was a 26 db input which seems to be the average, and I see your Schiit Audio here looks about the same.

Honestly that BOW was far lower output unless you wanted to really crank it up beyond what your use to with the McCormack. Being the McCormack is about 6 db higher gain it is a very significant difference in most systems with the extra 6 db trust me.

Good Luck, but honestly in this case I doubt it is a better amp or worth the money unless you really go to something much higher in the audio world. And yes I highly suggest auditioning anything because the DNA from a standard A-B amp will be hard to beat on any day of the week anyway.

(by the way I have only heard one amp to this day that truly bettered the modified McCormacks for the price, or musicality, and it was not Krell, Conrad Johnson, Audio Research, BAT, Mcintosh or any of the known big boys!)
« Last Edit: 6 Jun 2016, 01:04 pm by undertow »

saab_oteur

considering this upgrade and need to act fast.  is it worthwhile?

Reviving an old thread here…

I’m considering doing exactly the same thing: replacing my dna .5 with ragnarok 2. Did you make the move, and, if so, was it worth it?