Donations for PPE for NYC hospitals

audioengr

Re: Donations for PPE for NYC hospitals
« Reply #20 on: 3 Apr 2020, 03:41 pm »
Thanks for doing this Steve.
Last Thursday I asked my daughter who is a NICU nurse in NC if she wanted the box of 20 N95 masks I have had for years....bought for a Mers or Sars scare, and she replied she was good and didn't need them.
Friday I see a box on the kitchen table with candy I had never seen before, boxes of mac and cheese, toilet paper, hand sanitizer, moisturizer etc...
I asked my wife what was up and she said that R*****n made some Fakebook postings and she seemed scared, so she was putting together a care package for her.  R*****n was a roommate of my daughter and now a Nurse in the ED at Columbia Presbyterian in NYC. 
I texted my daughter to see if she thought she would like the masks and my daughter assured me she would.

She received the package on Monday and was VERY appreciative of the masks and also mentioned the skin moisturizer.

Good for you.  It turns-out that most of us can really survive without even leaving our homes.  You have to forgo fresh fruits and veggies for a while, but canned peaches, dates and dried fruits from Amazon, Costco and Target etc.. can suffice.  Canned and frozen vegetables work.  Meat can be replaced with jerky, canned fish, nuts and beans.  Eggs are a problem, although you can probably get powdered eggs.  Not too good though...

Steve N.
« Last Edit: 3 Apr 2020, 04:51 pm by audioengr »

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #21 on: 3 Apr 2020, 04:19 pm »
I realize we just moved slightly off topic, but we shouldn't stop buying fresh food, it's too valuable to waste. The only thing that should be available from big retailers online are essentials for life. Same for shipping companies. None of their workers have ANY protection equipment working shoulder to shoulder. They should be working skeleton crews until they can assure worker safety.  Amazon is trying to hire 100,000 employees why, to infect them?

Come on, we can't be with nurses and doctors and not be with workers in agriculture and at grocery stores, online retailers, shipping companies, etc. Everyone needs protection.

audioengr

« Reply #22 on: 3 Apr 2020, 04:52 pm »
I realize we just moved slightly off topic, but we shouldn't stop buying fresh food, it's too valuable to waste. The only thing that should be available from big retailers online are essentials for life. Same for shipping companies. None of their workers have ANY protection equipment working shoulder to shoulder. They should be working skeleton crews until they can assure worker safety.  Amazon is trying to hire 100,000 employees why, to infect them?

Come on, we can't be with nurses and doctors and not be with workers in agriculture and at grocery stores, online retailers, shipping companies, etc. Everyone needs protection.

I have some non-medical masks that I'm providing to my local grocery for checkers and stockers.  Also, my private post office people.

Here is what 3M is doing:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/trumps-battle-with-3m-on-masks-escalates-over-us-exports/ar-BB128k78?ocid=spartandhp

audioengr

« Reply #23 on: 3 Apr 2020, 09:08 pm »
I have gotten $740 in donations from 2 forums so far.  Thank you everyone.

Most of the masks I am purchasing for $4 each I believe and there are 640 of them coming according to the supplier.  I already have 20 that I got on ebay for $14.66 each before they shut-down sales of these.  (The Chinese are asking $20 each right now.)

I will not be billed for the 640 masks until I receive them, and he says he may lower the price from $4 each.

The non-medical masks I mentioned in the previous post are not part of this.  Those are for local organizations.

I have spent $211.34 on gowns and goggles so far, but I need to get more.

The expected total for the 1860 and 1860S masks is $2853.00.

Together I expect to spend $3064.34 on respirators, gowns and goggles so far.  The express shipping for these will probably be in the $300 range.

This is the first shipment.  There will be more as more equipment arrives.

Steve N.
« Last Edit: 3 Apr 2020, 10:08 pm by audioengr »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #24 on: 3 Apr 2020, 09:17 pm »
Even with the hi demand I was able to buy mask at 0.70 cents each.

audioengr

« Reply #25 on: 3 Apr 2020, 09:18 pm »
Even with the hi demand I was able to buy mask at 0.70 cents each.

a 3M 1860?

This is what the care givers are wearing and needing.  This is what they trust.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #26 on: 3 Apr 2020, 09:40 pm »
No a industrial product its cloth, hand made.

audioengr

« Reply #27 on: 3 Apr 2020, 11:50 pm »
First PPE arriving.

audioengr

« Reply #28 on: 4 Apr 2020, 09:24 pm »
All of the PPE for the first shipment has arrived.  500 respirators, 2 large Dupont suits and 1 3X large Dupont suit, and my first try at a sealed goggle.

Packing it into 2 boxes, one headed for Elmhurst and have not decided on the other one yet, maybe Mount Sinai Beth Israel.  Mt. Sinai has 800 beds at least in Manhattan and they are hurting for PPE.  On the news last night.  I'll talk to Cuomo's folks to see where the need is greatest.

Steve N.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #29 on: 4 Apr 2020, 11:16 pm »
Awesome effort, Steve!  :thumb:

Michael

audioengr

« Reply #30 on: 7 Apr 2020, 05:57 pm »
I have been offered another 500 respirators, but I am running low on funds.  My PayPal account is tapped-out.  I could use more donations. :thumb:

mresseguie

« Reply #31 on: 7 Apr 2020, 07:13 pm »
Steve,

Remember 'transparency'.

At what individual price are the 400 respirators being offered? What is the estimated shipping cost? Will they be shipped to your home only to be sent out a second time, or sent directly to the hospital?

Michael

Brucemck

« Reply #32 on: 7 Apr 2020, 09:01 pm »
Donation sent. Thanks for taking the initiative Steve!

audioengr

« Reply #33 on: 8 Apr 2020, 03:02 am »
Steve,

Remember 'transparency'.

At what individual price are the 400 respirators being offered? What is the estimated shipping cost? Will they be shipped to your home only to be sent out a second time, or sent directly to the hospital?

Michael

He says $4/respirator.  Shipping is a small cost, so he usually eats it.  It's his contribution.  I have to make connection to the hospital and put a letter inside the box, so they come here first.

audioengr

« Reply #34 on: 8 Apr 2020, 11:57 pm »
Thanks to all who donated.  Second shipment went out today to Lenox Hill.  Had a hard time contacting the other hospitals, but still trying.  I plan to do one or two more shipments because they are short on protective suits and I have a bunch coming.  Some arrived today.  Also, I am getting 4 more cases of small respirators and one case of regular respirators in the next week.

mresseguie

« Reply #35 on: 10 Apr 2020, 05:56 am »
Steve,

I just read a nurse's account of the hell that just one hospital's ICU is like. All I could say, think, type after reading it was, "HERO!"   :cry:  I just sent you more money.

Michael

audioengr

« Reply #36 on: 10 Apr 2020, 06:00 pm »
Thanks for the donation.  It's needed.  I decided to get more masks and suits and do 4 hospitals, two in Manhattan, one in Queens and one in Brooklyn.

The PPE arrived today at Elmhurst in Queens and Lenox Hill in Manhattan.

I'm over $5K into this now.  About $1k is from your donations.

audioengr

« Reply #37 on: 14 Apr 2020, 09:42 pm »
Second group of PPE is here.

600 respirators, 27 suits and one box of medium gloves.  Split between Maimonides, Mount Sinai and Lenox Hill, all in NYC.

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #38 on: 14 Apr 2020, 09:56 pm »
Amazing Steve. Such a great thing you are doing, and I love this about you.