SP Technology Available in Denmark

reefrus

« Reply #40 on: 19 Oct 2004, 02:59 am »
Karsten:  Congratulations on your show! I agree with DU, wait till you hear the Revelations!! In fact, the sound DU heard from the Revelations at the show is only maybe 60-70% of what's possible due to the room size there.  The Revelations indeed have the all the upgraded parts as well including Auricaps but the crossover network is not cryo-treated.  I don't think the Continuums at the show had Auricaps.  Half of my Revelations rode back to Indiana for some paint repair, so I'm having withdrawals.  I had a short lived audio nirvana :dance:  right before the show and the sound took my breath away.  Can't wait to get it back in my room. Good thing I have an awesome set of TP 2.0 to get by with for now.   :singing:

mgalusha

« Reply #41 on: 19 Oct 2004, 03:44 am »
Steve, You have to let me know when you get the revalations back and set up in your room. I'd love to hear them in a larger space - which I know your room is.

BTW, It was good to see you last weekend at the show.

Mike

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #42 on: 19 Oct 2004, 03:49 am »
Quote from: Karsten
Oh, well, now I got the first set of Continuums 10 days ago. I hate to say it, but they eat TP 2.0 for breakfast :mrgreen:

I did a show this weekend with the Continuums, got a good and large room, the sound was awesome. Try some recordings with Yello, they will really show what these SP speakers are capable of doing. You will be surprised...

Brg,

Karsten
Karsten,
    Thanks for your reply...I like breakfast :lol: !! Since you did so well in describing the sound of the Timepiece speakers, can you describe what you hear with the Continuum's ? And, what is the rest of your system to drive them ?[/list:u]
      And one more question, thanks...what's a good cd from Yello ? I've heard the name , but I don't have any of their work. Thanks again !! :) [/list:u]
        Chris[/list:u]

Double Ugly

« Reply #43 on: 19 Oct 2004, 06:10 am »
Quote from: Double Ugly
Yes, they had the Cardas cables, but this was all (as far as I know) maybe Auricaps as well.

Maybe Bob will be willing to clarify.  

DU

I'm sure he will :wink:

And he did...

I received this tonight from Bob -

Quote from: SP Pres
If you'd like to post this for me - that would be great.  Lots to do and no time.  The Continuum (Timepieces as well) room had Cardas Binding Posts and wire.  Both of these were cryo'd  - they also had a critical capacitor, inductor and resistors in the tweeter assembly cryo'd. No Audracaps in these.  Rest of crossover was NOT cryo'd.

The Revelations were the same as above (no cryo on its crossover either) but did have all Auracaps.

Karsten's had all of the above but the crossover was completely cryo'd as well.

DU

jfreeman373

« Reply #44 on: 19 Oct 2004, 06:17 am »
Hey Steve!
How's it going?  Don't have time for a long post... but had a great time meeting you guys and the show and all.  I got your cabinet pretty much done...clear coat and a buff out and she'll be ready to head back to Denver once more.  No problems like I had at your house...anyways I'll keep you posted...and you keep in touch.

Jason

jfreeman373

« Reply #45 on: 19 Oct 2004, 06:25 am »
Oh yeah...before I go...Reefrus is right.  The Timepieces sounded better in his living room than the Revelation did at the show in the hotel room.  I can't believe I asked him..."where's your sub?" when i first got to his house.  I build the dog-gone things and was amazed myself.  That just goes to show the lowly Timepiece is no slouch.  Wait till you hear the Revelation in a great room like Steve's...get outa town.  I heard it and was almost brought to tears....that just dosn't happen...ever.  

Your prized possesion will be back home shortly Steve.  Sleep well.

Jason

Karsten

« Reply #46 on: 19 Oct 2004, 10:04 am »
Quote from: lonewolfny42
Karsten,
    Thanks for your reply...I like breakfast :lol: !! Since you did so well in describing the sound of the Timepiece speakers, can you describe what you hear with the Continuum's ? And, what is the rest of your system to drive them ?[/list:u]
      And one more question, thanks...what's a good cd from Yello ? I've heard the name , but I don't have any of their work. Thanks again !! :) [/list:u]

LW,

Okay, I'll try to describe my impressions of the Continuums VS TP 2.0

First of all, although the TP 2.0 sounded great right out of the box, a closer listning revealed a very sligth sustain on cymbals etc. was missing. This issue settled after feeding the speakers with white noise during night about 10-14 days. Cables and bi-wire jumpers are also critical, best results was with the Audience Au24 jumpers, much better than all my other experiments. Connect speaker cable to the tweeter terminals. These issues are why I decided to skip Bi-wire terminals on my Continuums.

Well, now to the Continuums. First thing I noticed was how much better the tweeter sounded, right out of the box even compared the the fully broken-in TP, much more liquid presentation with excellent sustain. The midrange is much fuller and the bass awesome, clean and very detailed. So I will say that I hear improvements on all parameteres.

On the other hand, they do not appear to be significantly more efficient than the TP 2.0, raw amplifier power is still essential to get the best results, they do draw large current peaks. However, I have never before heard dynamics like this, they play with an ease so you are just sitting there thinking "hit me" waiting for the next impulse to come :)

I'm using the Belles 150A Reference amplifiers in monoblock configuration, they do a pretty good job. I did not try the 350A mono yet, they should deliver something like 1.5+ kW per side in 4 ohm, I'll let you know the results from this. The preamp I'm using is the Belles 21A and CD drive and DAC are from Orpheus. Cables are Audience Au24.

So far I bought "Essential Yello" but have ordered the full collection of CDs with him. To start with the "Essential Yello" will be fine, as it will give you his greatest hits in one package. I cannot promise you will like the music, but as a demo of the capabilities of the SP speakers, this is it!

Brg,
Karsten

PeteG

« Reply #47 on: 19 Oct 2004, 11:09 am »
Quote from: mgalusha
Steve, You have to let me know when you get the revalations back and set up in your room. I'd love to hear them in a larger space - which I know your room is.

Mike

Same here, I would love to give them another listen.

Pete

reefrus

« Reply #48 on: 19 Oct 2004, 02:31 pm »
Thanks Jason! You and Fred are some of the hardest working people I've met. You guys ROCK! If the Revelations arrived here finished before the show, we've been even having a great time.

mgalusha wrote:

Mike

PeteG Wrote:
Same here, I would love to give them another listen.

Pete

I'll invite you guys(maybe others in Denver area will enjoy us as well) once the Revelaions are set up properly.

Longwolfny42 Wrote:
Karsten,
Thanks for your reply...I like breakfast  !! Since you did so well in describing the sound of the Timepiece speakers, can you describe what you hear with the Continuum's ? And, what is the rest of your system to drive them ?
And one more question, thanks...what's a good cd from Yello ? I've heard the name , but I don't have any of their work. Thanks again !!  
Chris

Hi Chris,
Here are a couple of Yello albums that I've been using as reference for low- midbass transient speed and dynamic impact for the last 15 years;
Yello "Baby" and "One Second".
The other good one is Kraftwerk "The Mix".
Those are some of the best Techno recording music around, very low distortion so you can play as loud as your systems handle!

lonewolfny42

« Reply #49 on: 19 Oct 2004, 05:09 pm »
LW,

Okay, I'll try to describe my impressions of the Continuums VS TP 2.0

First of all, although the TP 2.0 sounded great right out of the box, a closer listning revealed a very sligth sustain on cymbals etc. was missing. This issue settled after feeding the speakers with white noise during night about 10-14 days. Cables and bi-wire jumpers are also critical, best results was with the Audience Au24 jumpers, much better than all my other experiments. Connect speaker cable to the tweeter terminals. Thes ...
"Oh Yeah"!!! :lol: ......now I remember Yello. I gotta pick that up. Thanks again Karsten for you comments on the Continuum's. For me now, the TP 2's really fit well. In the future, when I have a bigger audio room, I hope to move up to them. :)
    I'll keep watching as you progress thru different combo's....always good info.[/list:u]
      One other thing....while I'm thinking about it.....I had received a PM from a member here asking how the TP 2's respond to rock music. Most rock is recorded badly....so his thought that a less detailed speaker would suit his taste better. How would you answer that ? Thanks![/list:u]
        Chris :) [/list:u]

Karsten

« Reply #50 on: 19 Oct 2004, 07:03 pm »
Quote from: lonewolfny42
"Oh Yeah"!!! :lol: ......now I remember Yello. I gotta pick that up. Thanks again Karsten for you comments on the Continuum's. For me now, the TP 2's really fit well. In the future, when I have a bigger audio room, I hope to move up to them. :)
    I'll keep watching as you progress thru different combo's....always good info.[/list:u]
      One other thing....while I'm thinking about it.....I had received a PM from a member here asking how the TP 2's respond to rock music. Most rock is recorded badly....so hi ...

Chris,

Well, just because I find the Continuums better, there is no reason to think less of the TPs . They are still fantastic speakers which are capable of incredible performance, combined with the right gear.

The SP speakers are not genre specific, they handle everything from classical music to techno equally well. Only issue is that there is no coloration to mask poor recordings. So if the issue is to make poor recordings listenable SP is defenitely not the tool. They will however ROCK if fed the right material :D

Karsten

lonewolfny42

« Reply #51 on: 20 Oct 2004, 01:34 am »
Thank you again Karsten for your comments !! :)
    I'm quite happy with the TP 2's....anything bigger would not do as well in my audio room.[/list:u]
      I have no problem enjoying all type's of music on them...I love the detailed sound that comes thru. I hope others get a chance to listen to the SP Tech speakers. With Bob getting dealers signed on , that should help spread the word. Hope people give them a listen. :dance: [/list:u]
        Chris :) [/list:u]

Karsten

« Reply #52 on: 23 Oct 2004, 12:49 am »
Okay, I'm getting further with these Continuums. The system is set up again after the show. First two days after putting it together again it really sounded terrible, I can't really say why. However things are back in shape again now.

Now I am using a Orpheus preamp and two Orpheus 150W monoblocks. This works actually pretty well, it is a more relaxed sound image compared to the Belles equipment, some prefer this. Tonality is pretty good and dynamics fine up to reasonably loud levels. Only thing I miss a bit is the transient speed and firm grip of the low end which the Belles gear provides.

Well, the Continuums can hardly be blamed for this, most speakers reacts positively towards raw power, although few really obtains the dymamics which I have heard from these SP speakers, quite breathtaking.

Brg,
Karsten

lonewolfny42

« Reply #53 on: 6 Dec 2004, 06:08 am »
Hello Karsten,
    Hope all's well. I've purchased a little more power for the TP2's. I've ordered a pair of Butler 2250 amps( to run as mono's...800 watts :o ). I have one here, and another on the way...its on a "loan" now....but will arrive in about 10 day's. And, a few preamps on route to complete this system. This should about cover all my needs.[/list:u]
      I'll let you know how it all works out.....thanks for all your information !!! :thumb: [/list:u]

lonewolfny42

« Reply #54 on: 6 Dec 2004, 06:08 am »
n/t

Karsten

« Reply #55 on: 7 Dec 2004, 10:07 am »
Hi Chris,

800W PC should do some tricks with the TP :) Just remember that everything matters with a reference class speaker like the TP, also powercords and of course other cables as well.

I have some indications towards benefits by using good quality silver cables, you should try to test a few in your system, if possible.

Brg,
Karsten

Karsten

« Reply #56 on: 7 Dec 2004, 10:10 am »
Double posting due to serverproblem (I guess)

lonewolfny42

« Reply #57 on: 7 Dec 2004, 05:05 pm »
Hi Chris,

800W PC should do some tricks with the TP :) Just remember that everything matters with a reference class speaker like the TP, also powercords and of course other cables as well.

I have some indications towards benefits by using good quality silver cables, you should try to test a few in your system, if possible.

Brg,
Karsten
Thanks Karsten for your help!! A few other package's will be arriving shortly, then I can really set it up correctly....and give it a real good listen.
    [/list:u]Chris

Karsten

« Reply #58 on: 7 Dec 2004, 08:08 pm »
No problem Chris :wink:  I'm experimenting a lot with these SP speakers, it is quite fun because every change in the system is so clearly audible. Before you deside what to buy, I would suggest you to listen to the Belles 21A and 150A reference monoblocks. If you should do so, beware that powercables are very important here, it means a lot in terms of dynamics and transient response.

Brg,
Karsten

lonewolfny42

« Reply #59 on: 8 Dec 2004, 03:41 am »
Thanks again Karsten...Belles look good too !!! The one Butler I have here sounds very good. In a week, when the other arrives, I'll have a better idea of dynamics. Slow steps to the best sound....I'm in no rush. Thanks !!