RMAF Report please (when available)

95bcwh

Re: RMAF Report please (when available)
« Reply #80 on: 25 Oct 2006, 06:34 pm »
Shane, you certainly look younger than you sounded.. :lol:

I total agreed with you on the Acapella, to my ear, it's the most smooth & pleasant sounding system at the show, the problem is it doesn't have that much bass. But considering that it retails for $48k whereas the Evolution retails for $38k, I have to admit that the Evolution is a better value.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #81 on: 25 Oct 2006, 06:42 pm »
some thoughts:

Overall theme for me from this show (which apparently differs from a lot of folks on this thread):  "Blah"  There wasn't a lot of stuff that really jumped out at me that was in the realm of possibility for the average consumer... I also heard a ton of crap at this show.  Show conditions aside, there was a lot of bad sound, imo...  looking at it from the retail side of things, it continues to amaze me how so many companies find a market for their products. 

Show attendance was supposedly much higher this year than last... but it seemed rather dead in the times I was wandering through the halls and rooms.  A few rooms were consistently full of patrons, however...

Being a retailer, I was interested in some rooms more than others and didn't spend a lot of time in the direct to consumer rooms.  However, I had to stop in and have a listen to the Salk stuff that everyone raves about on here.  There were some typical show condition things that were hurting the overall sound (which Salk owners confirmed for me), but I was surprised that the speakers weren't nearly as aggressive as I was anticipating.  I really, really, really don't like the Seas excel driver used up into the midrange in every other design I've heard.  But it was quite good in Jim's speaker.  Kudos to you Jim!

The AmberWave room was cool... but I couldn't stand in there for more than a minute before the hum and fan noise drove me bonkers and I had to leave... I didn't even get a chance to hear the system.

The Evolution Audio speakers were one of my favorite things I heard at the show.  They weren't perfect.  But I'd put a pair of them in my living room at the asking price.  Here, too was another example of a speaker defying my previously held belief.  This is the first design with an Accuton driver that I actually liked.  Great look as well.  JT is going to sell a bunch of those to all his customers.  Great to see Flo and Kevin again as well.

The Butler/Escalante room wasn't quite right for most of the weekend.  I think a lot of it had to do with the Monads that BK brought had just been completed prior to the show and therefore weren't really broken in.  By late Sunday afternoon, it was starting to sound fantastic in there.  That's my kind of sound (which might explain why I have the almost identical setup except for source :) hehe)

The Verity Audio room was quite good and showcased what you could do in a decent sized space with a minimal system.  Their speakers are getting to be quite expensive, but I can see why so many audiophiles love them.

The Acapella (sp?) speakers were really quite good and did not sound like a typical horn at all.  I was very impressed with these fed by Einstein electronics....

It was great to meet a few AC folks and customers.  Unfortunately, some of you now know what I look like.... so much for keeping a low profile :)

Shane,

I agree that there were a lot of rooms that didn't sound good and had me scratching my head.  I won't name names, since we all hear differently and I don't feel like getting flamed. 

I think it appeared less crowded due to the increased number of rooms, but who knows for sure?

Before hearing the Salk HT3's I was afraid of the metal drivers and wasn't sure I would like them.  As you heard for yourself, there isn't any edge or glare to the HT3's (unless it is the gear updtream putting it there).

As for the Evolution speakers...they were my favorite of the show.  I spent a ton of time in that room and about half a dozen buddies bought the speakers (lucky, lucky, lucky).  Jonathan (Evolution Acoustics) and Alvin (Grand Prix Audio) are two of the nicest guys and really love audio!  I can't wait to hear a pair of MM3's in a home setting fully setup.   :drool: :drool:

Too bad I didn't hear the Butler/Escalante room on Sunday, it would have been nice to hear that combo locked in and perfomring up to its potential.

George

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #82 on: 25 Oct 2006, 06:49 pm »
George....
Too bad I didn't hear the Butler/Escalante room on Sunday, it would have been nice to hear that combo locked in and perfomring up to its potential.
One of the last rooms I went to (with Captain Humble).....had hear this combo before....two other shows (NYC and RMAF '05).....this listen.....best I've heard them. They sounded excellent this time....glad I stopped in.....later. :thumb:

WEEZ

« Reply #83 on: 25 Oct 2006, 11:04 pm »
As mentioned in a few threads, I really enjoyed the show. And it was great to meet so many of the AC crowd. A great time.

A few general comments: I was not looking for any particular gear, per se, but visited every room I could find that was displaying or playing vinyl. (my first love, audio-wise). Most all the rooms seemed a little bass heavy to me- some more than others. Low ceilings maybe? Some of the extreeme esoteric gear did little for me, really. I reviewed my notes and literature that I picked up with notes scrawled too; and one common theme that was written on all my notes was whether the equipment 'got out of the way' and allowed me to really 'hear the music'. Those are the rooms/gear I'll discuss here, in no particular order...but with emphasis on the AC group:

-Stirling Broadcast LS3/5a V2 Loudspeakers: Charming speaker and very musical. Allowed the music to flow and they 'disappeared' just fine. (it didn't hurt that they were driven with Manley EL-84 based amps)

-Serious Stereo 2A3 Amps & Altec 15" 604 Loudspeakers: The sound from this system was extreemly real and engaging. Deep soundstage.

-VMPS RM-30's/Musica Bella 3205/Modified Squeezebox/et al: Beautiful sound in Wayne's room. All things considered, probably the most 'relaxed' sound at the show, while sacrificing nothing in the way of resolution.

-AVA/Salk: My favorite combination in this room was the Ultra DAC/T-8/Ultra Amp/HT-3 combo. As mentioned in another thread, the Ultimate 70 thru the HT-2's left nothing to be desired either...

-Odyssey: Very musical room. Much more resolving than Klaus admits to. True high-end bargains if ever there was any. The very best bipolar amplifiers I've ever heard at any sane cost, and then some.

-Merlin/Joule/Audio Aero: Very engaging and harmonically complete sound. My little TSM's share the same resolving midrange but with less bass and 'scale'. (guess that's why I like 'em so much). Neutral and refined presentation.

-ACI: The Sapphire XL's are a great speaker. The amp and player were a great match. When I was there on Fri.- the sub wasn't running yet, and I never missed it.

-Linn Room: The music flowed in here too. Scale was smaller than some, but well balanced.

-Selah/Blue Circle: The open baffle upper cabinet allowed for an extreemly deep and big soundstage. Bass was deep but a little too large for my taste...I'll bet it was a room issue...

My notes on other rooms are less complete; except I must mention HagTech and great sound from the Trumpet phono stage (I'm thinking about a Cornet in the future); The Zu room where they were playing the little Music Reference RM-10MK2 amplifier (a great piece); and Louis's 8" Hemptones (only wish I could have heard them with Vinnie's Sig. 30). Very natural sound.

I saw many more rooms, but either the sound didn't draw me in; or the crowds were too large each time for a 'good' listen.

:slap: oh yeah, The Nuforce/Harbeth/SOTA/ et al room: The SP9 speakers really sang with the Nuforce amps. The Harbeths aren't as good a match. Damn, the sound of vinyl still grabs me better than digital, though.

That's enough. Whew.

:hyper:

WEEZ

WEEZ

« Reply #84 on: 26 Oct 2006, 01:10 am »
 :slap:...and Danny's 'surrounds' used as 'mains'.....smoothe and natural

WEEZ :oops:

Doublej

« Reply #85 on: 26 Oct 2006, 02:46 am »
If you read the link that Danny posted it appears as these speakers might be available from AV123 in the future in fully assembled form.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #86 on: 26 Oct 2006, 03:23 am »
Good photo coverage starting here....... 8)

I must of missed this room....... :jester:

lonewolfny42

« Reply #87 on: 26 Oct 2006, 03:30 am »
Congratulations!! Surely you broke the record on AC for the most posts in the shortest time!!
Helps to have a quick cable connection....see you Saturday.... :thumb:

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
« Reply #88 on: 26 Oct 2006, 06:40 pm »
A dear friend of mine was at the show and said the Eben X3” from Raidho was the most beautiful speaker he heard. First of all, at $16K a pair, they should be. Anyone else agree? I have never heard them.

tvyankee

« Reply #89 on: 27 Oct 2006, 06:44 am »
Just found some new pic's online and thought i would share

http://www.audioxsell.com/community/events/2/43/Rocky-Mountain-Audio-Fest-2006/April-Music-Design.htm

For they money we really did have very good sound.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #90 on: 27 Oct 2006, 07:10 am »
The show ended just in time.....Denver had a big snowfall on Thursday... :o
Great for skiers....bad for travelers.....

RMAF Show Report from Enjoy The Music....... :thumb:
« Last Edit: 27 Oct 2006, 07:36 am by lonewolfny42 »

DeadFish

« Reply #91 on: 27 Oct 2006, 02:42 pm »
Manomanoman....am I glad I didn't have to drive thru THAT!  (snow)  Even worse, we'd all of been having to be packing coats for shivering in the 'smoking room'.

BradJudy

« Reply #92 on: 27 Oct 2006, 03:04 pm »
A dear friend of mine was at the show and said the Eben X3” from Raidho was the most beautiful speaker he heard. First of all, at $16K a pair, they should be. Anyone else agree? I have never heard them.

I thought the Ebens sounded better last year (last year there were both X3's in the Nordost room and X-Centrics in another room).  Part of the problem for me is that Lars from Nordost likes to listen at such loud levels that I didn't want to stay in the room that long.  They still sounded good this year, I just wasn't as impressed as I was last year.

budyog

« Reply #93 on: 27 Oct 2006, 03:14 pm »

I thought the Ebens sounded better last year (last year there were both X3's in the Nordost room and X-Centrics in another room).  Part of the problem for me is that Lars from Nordost likes to listen at such loud levels that I didn't want to stay in the room that long.  They still sounded good this year, I just wasn't as impressed as I was last year.

It just goes to show that what one person may think sounds good another might not think the same. What a wonderful hobby. It may take some time to find what one likes and not necessarily a lot of cash, but we can all be happy! :D

PhilNYC

« Reply #94 on: 27 Oct 2006, 03:23 pm »

I heard the X-3 at CES last year, and I thought they were superb...some of the best bass performance I've heard in a speaker...

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #95 on: 27 Oct 2006, 04:03 pm »

Anyone have pics?  Thanks.

budyog

« Reply #96 on: 27 Oct 2006, 04:19 pm »

Anyone have pics?  Thanks.

Here is a link to there wesite.
http://www.raidho.dk/eben/index.htm
http://www.eben.dk/eben/reviews/index-reviews.htm