RMAF 2012 Day 2 - Tyson and Pez Coverage LIVE

R_burke

Re: RMAF 2012 Day 2 - Tyson and Pez Coverage LIVE
« Reply #60 on: 14 Oct 2012, 02:02 pm »
Pez/Tyson,

Could you please clarify which Vapors you were commenting on in each room?

I too was/am confused and would appreciate clarification  :scratch:

Pez

« Reply #61 on: 14 Oct 2012, 02:10 pm »
We liked which ever one the three way is.

drumiha

« Reply #62 on: 14 Oct 2012, 03:02 pm »
We liked which ever one the three way is.

Well then you're talking about the Joule Black. The Joule Black is a 3-way using the same stacked ply construction as the 2-way Cirrus Black, but features the Audio Technology C-Quenze 8" woofer, the C-Quenze 6" mid and the RAAL 70-20XR. The difference between the two is that the Joule Black has the Audio Technology C-Quenze 8" woofer and that it's more expensive than the Cirrus Black.  :)

Thanks again Tyson and Pez.

standub

« Reply #63 on: 14 Oct 2012, 03:13 pm »
The Vapor/BMC room had the Joule black playing:

The Vapor/Arte Forma room had the Cirrus white playing:

As an owner of the Cirrus black here where my take aways.  The Joule and the Cirrus sound a lot alike, however as expected the Joule does present much bigger bass.  This was apparent on passages with bass drums or an upright bass, other than that the Cirrus is about 95% of what the Joule is. The Cirrus white is similar to the black but as best as I can put it, it has a leaner sound.  I usually don't like speakers with Accutron drivers, so the fact I enjoyed these must be some kind of endorsement.

roscoeiii

vinyl_lady

« Reply #65 on: 15 Oct 2012, 12:06 am »
Laura,

Are you at RMAF and listened to the Alexias?

Maybe you're just used to listening to the colorations of a wooden box.;-)

Yes, I am at RMAF (been here since Thursday), and I listened to the Alexias. I found them completely unengaging. Typical Wilson analytical sound. No real integration from top to bottom. I listend to some orchestral pieces and a male vocal and the integration from top to bottom was poor. It was like I was listening to a tweeter, then a midrange and then a woofer. Like I said yesterday, it doesn't feel like I'm listening to music. After listening for about 15 minutes in this room, I went to the Odyssey room and the sound was terrific. One is definitely listening to music in the Odyssey room--very engaging and the entire system is $5,900!!!

The Daedalus 100% hardwood speakers are among the most tonally accurate speakers I have heard. They are incredibly neutral. No coloration whatsoever.

I know there are lots of folks that for whatever reason like Wilson speakers. I'm just not one of them.

Laura

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #66 on: 15 Oct 2012, 01:44 am »
laura, folks like wilson's cuz they're expensive and have cachet.  no one who can actually hear would like them because of the way they sound.  imo, of course!   8)

doug s.

jhm731

« Reply #67 on: 15 Oct 2012, 08:25 pm »
Yes, I am at RMAF (been here since Thursday), and I listened to the Alexias. I found them completely unengaging. Typical Wilson analytical sound. No real integration from top to bottom. I listend to some orchestral pieces and a male vocal and the integration from top to bottom was poor. It was like I was listening to a tweeter, then a midrange and then a woofer. Like I said yesterday, it doesn't feel like I'm listening to music. After listening for about 15 minutes in this room, I went to the Odyssey room and the sound was terrific. One is definitely listening to music in the Odyssey room--very engaging and the entire system is $5,900!!!

The Daedalus 100% hardwood speakers are among the most tonally accurate speakers I have heard. They are incredibly neutral. No coloration whatsoever.

I know there are lots of folks that for whatever reason like Wilson speakers. I'm just not one of them.

Laura

Thanks for your reply. Here's another take on the Alexia:

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/rmaf2012/rmaf2012_vtl_wilson_dcs.htm

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #68 on: 15 Oct 2012, 08:30 pm »
Any time you start listing out the retail prices of super expensive gear it influences your judgement.  Can't help it, it's human nature.  That's why I like going in without knowing any of that.  Sure, I know that a particular room might be pricey, but I have no idea how pricey it is, or how pricey any other "expensive" room might be.  It really helps to level the playing field.

KJ

« Reply #69 on: 15 Oct 2012, 09:02 pm »
Quote from: doug s
laura, folks like wilson's cuz they're expensive and have cachet.  no one who can actually hear would like them because of the way they sound.  imo, of course!

That's a pretty broad brush stroke.  Classy.  I'd like to think some of us actually put a lot of time into sampling what's out there and making an educated decision based on all factors including sound, quality, support and price.  "IMO, of course."

Quiet Earth

« Reply #70 on: 15 Oct 2012, 09:49 pm »
Any time you start listing out the retail prices of super expensive gear it influences your judgement.  Can't help it, it's human nature.  That's why I like going in without knowing any of that.  Sure, I know that a particular room might be pricey, but I have no idea how pricey it is, or how pricey any other "expensive" room might be.  It really helps to level the playing field.

That is an excellent way to do it. I have been to 4 audio shows in the last three years and that is how I approach it too.  Just go inside and listen. If the system really grabs you then start asking questions. If not, say thank you and go to the next room. It's way more fun that way and you will learn so much more about the gear and about yourself.

Thank you guys for the excellent coverage. Best RMAF report on the net ever  :thumb:. I felt like I was right there with you, agreeing and disagreeing about what we (you) were hearing. Gonna have to make the Denver show one of these times.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #71 on: 15 Oct 2012, 09:50 pm »
Thanks for your reply. Here's another take on the Alexia:

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/rmaf2012/rmaf2012_vtl_wilson_dcs.htm

Gee, what a coincidence that the first thing you see on the Audio Beat website is a banner ad for Wilson and the Alexias.  :roll:

standub

« Reply #72 on: 16 Oct 2012, 12:16 am »
Gee, what a coincidence that the first thing you see on the Audio Beat website is a banner ad for Wilson and the Alexias.  :roll:

Well I can see how it's the best of show room for them.  If you look at their site the only rooms they went to were Vandersteen/Audio Research and the VTL/Wilson room.  They also have a blog post about the development of the AR Ref10 and an ad for Audio Research.

jhm731

« Reply #73 on: 16 Oct 2012, 12:25 am »
Well I can see how it's the best of show room for them.  If you look at their site the only rooms they went to were Vandersteen/Audio Research and the VTL/Wilson room.  They also have a blog post about the development of the AR Ref10 and an ad for Audio Research.

They're also working on a review of the XLF.

Obviously, they have good taste.;-)

Pez

« Reply #74 on: 16 Oct 2012, 12:49 am »

Laura, you are a breath of fresh air.  :lol:

Seriously though, this is the EXACT reason why we think the way we do things is the best. These online audio rags can't be objective by definition.

jhm731

« Reply #75 on: 16 Oct 2012, 12:54 am »

Here another Best of Show from: http://www.audiophilia.com/wp/?p=8787

I don't see any Wilson ads on their website.

"Audiophilia’s Best Sound of Show- Wilson Audio

This was a clear winner. Always full of Wilson Audio admirers, the large room was set up perfectly. The gear was professionally presented by Luke Manley of VTL and Debby Wilson of Wilson Audio. Mr. Wilson attended the show on Friday.

I’ve never been a fan of the Wilson sound world. Tuned very successfully for a specific audiophile demographic (I call it ‘ziss, boom, bah’ — ultra resolved, kaleidoscopic with never ending power), Wilson Audio speakers for my taste looked as cold as they sounded. This sound ‘design’ was modified by Wilson (after a six month world tour of the greatest concert halls) in his smaller Sasha loudspeaker and has continued in spectacular fashion with the new Alexia Loudspeaker ($48K).

It’s a fabulous speaker, especially as heard here accompanied by the wonderful VTL Siegfried mono block amplifiers and a phalanx of digital dCS gear. The Alexia’s retain all that is good in Wilsonland — power and incredible resolution, but they play music so beautifully. Instruments and voices are fleshed out and the timbres are so accurate.

I heard some of Wilson’s personal recordings (by Peter McGrath) and they were very good (but one did remind me that capturing a great soprano on full throttle can be difficult), but the Sony recording of Schubert piano music played by Arcadi Volodos was unbelievably good. Some of the best sounds I’ve heard from a speaker and certainly the best piano tone, both attack and the decay, in my experience. Superb, and on that alone, the magnificent Wilson Audio Alexia’s won the day."

Here's some comments from: http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2012/10/12/rmaf12-opening-and-the-wilson-audio-alexia/

No Wilson ads on this website either.

"The sound in here was pretty startling. Very clear, good imaging, great detail, impactful bass."

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #76 on: 16 Oct 2012, 12:57 am »
I appreciate the engineering that goes into the Wilson's but still to this day I don't understand how or why anyone likes the way they sound.  I like a very transparent and neutral sound but they are downright painful to me.   :dunno:

Pez

« Reply #77 on: 16 Oct 2012, 01:00 am »
They sucked IMO guys. I'm sure there are people who liked them and that's fine, but this insistence that one must seek out sources that confirm what you already think is very pathetic. If you are trying to justify a preconception then search away. The internet is a hotbed of people who believe the earth is flat, Elvis is alive and Wilson speakers are the greatest thing ever. I'm sure you'll find plenty to back up your belief.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #78 on: 16 Oct 2012, 01:02 am »
people who believe the earth is flat,
Nope

Elvis is alive
Nope

and Wilson speakers are the greatest thing ever.
Nope

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #79 on: 16 Oct 2012, 01:05 am »
Dammit jtw, stop shattering people's illusions with your facts!