Just ordered a new phono preamp ***IT'S HERE!***

G E

Just ordered a new phono preamp ***IT'S HERE!***
« on: 18 Aug 2018, 02:55 am »
A few days ago I pulled the trigger on an order for a new phono preamp.

Hagerman Trumpet Classic.

I am a big fan of jim hagerman's products. Started with his Bugle opamp based product. That was replaced with his  Cornet2 tube rectified, tube gain circuit. Both of these I built from Jim's plans.  These products kicked digital out of the listening room.

But I always had a jones for the trumpet. It's now on order. I also have some NOS Mullard and Amperex tubes on the way.

Should be here mid September. No doubt it will be a fabulous match for my WTA.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/industry-profile-jim-hagerman-hagerman-audio-labs

https://hagerman-audio-labs.myshopify.com/collections/phono-preamps/products/trumpet-classis-mm-vacuum-tube-phono-preamp

Anyone interested in buying my Cornet2?  It's a giant kilker!
« Last Edit: 16 Sep 2018, 01:39 am by G E »

G E

Re: Just ordered a new phono preamp
« Reply #1 on: 11 Sep 2018, 12:21 am »
Ordered a full set of Mullard NOS tubes for the Trumpet which should be here shortly. Hagerman is based in Hawaii and the hurricane slowed down the build.

Have some Mullards in the Cornet 2 and they are astoundingly good.

Stay tuned!

G E

Re: Just ordered a new phono preamp ***IT'S HERE!***
« Reply #2 on: 16 Sep 2018, 01:43 am »
The Trumpet arrived this week. Interesting to note it was built in Honolulu during the recent hurricane and arrived in the southeast as Florence approached the coast. Of course I played Weather Report first.

I have to say from early listening sessions- if theCornet2 kicked digital out of listening room, the Trumpet slams the door shut.

With the Mullards installed this is one sweet listen, but with all the detail decay and pace you would ever want. And better bass too

More later

G E

« Reply #3 on: 16 Sep 2018, 01:46 am »
I also have two ancient Amperex 12ax7 to rotate in too. Couldn't swing a full set.

G E

« Reply #4 on: 16 Sep 2018, 01:48 am »
Cornet 2 posted for sale at all the usual sites. Someone should buy it.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #5 on: 16 Sep 2018, 01:58 am »
Hello, G E.

I've never had the pleasure of hearing (or touching) either the Cornet 2 or the Trumpet.

I'll check the links you supplied to see what I can learn. You're not located in western Oregon/southern Washington by any chance, are you?  :thumb:

Enjoy!

Michael