"Burning in" a CDP/phono stage??

andyr

"Burning in" a CDP/phono stage??
« on: 18 Apr 2011, 11:26 am »
I would appreciate input on the following:
1. a music signal is AC (not DC)
2. you have a new CDP and are trying to "run it in", so you play a CD but (because you don't want to listen to the CDP until it's run in!  :) ) you select some other input on your preamp - say, tuner - so it is the tuner signal which is going through the pre, into the power amp and into the speakers
3. so you are listening to the tuner
4. you need a music signal passing through a component to "run it in" (ie. it's not good enough to just switch it on)
5. so is the fact that the CDP signal is not "going into the pre" stopping the CDP from being run in?  (IE. is the "music signal" actually running through the CDP if it is not selected as input to the pre, and so can't "get out of" the CDP?)
6. or, because the music signal is a sine wave (or combination thereof), the output voltage is varying between '+' & '-' ... and this is sufficient to "pass a signal" through the CDP?

Thanks,

Andy

JohnR

Re: "Burning in" a CDP/phono stage??
« Reply #1 on: 18 Apr 2011, 12:18 pm »
I can't help feeling that answering this in the Lab would firstly require a technical explanation for break-in... having said that, the only difference between having the CDP selected or not would be that a small amount of current will be drawn in the former case. So I suppose, make up a pair of cables with a 10k ohm resistor on each and connect them to the CDP output.