New Upgrade: Switchable Vintage Tube Sound

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
New Upgrade: Switchable Vintage Tube Sound
« on: 29 May 2012, 12:35 pm »
Many people that I converse with enjoy tube amplifier warmth. The tone quality of our standard circuitry is linear- meaning no part of the audible spectrum outruns the other.

I designed a new upgrade that will allow any of our tube amplifiers to have that 50's flavor on demand, at the flip of a switch. This upgrade is used in conjunction with our variable feedback control to make the amplifier sound as classic as you want.

Upgrade price: $175.00. If purchased with other upgrades, the price is significantly lowered.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
Re: New Upgrade: Switchable Vintage Tube Sound
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2012, 12:34 pm »
Notes on this upgrade:

The vintage tube sound upgrade can be made so the warmth is subtle or not so subtle. DSP is not involved and the tone upgrade does not add a significant number of components within the amplification stages.

Ideal amplifier upgrades typically do not introduce major changes within the gain stages of an amplifier. For example, the DC filament upgrade isn't even within the gain stages, yet provides exceptional improvements to low volume detail. The vintage tube sound upgrade is within the amplifier stages, but is completely passive and does not complicate anything from the music's point of view (where signals travel). Another example of an ideal upgrade would be Micalex sockets. Zero signal processing, yet there is better performance through high grade 1960's style mil-spec contacts. Are there better sockets? I don't think so. There are pricier ones, but as you know, I don't shop by the expensive is better rule.

Other thoughts regarding this circuit:

If you require an amplifier to run only mids, bass or highs (bi or tri-amplification), this upgrade is ideal for you. Energy can be placed specifically where you need it with premium results. The modifications required for these specific purposes will not make the upgrade any more expensive. Please note that the tone modifications are able to be turned off. It's like having two amplifiers in one. Our NEW hybrid class D amplifiers will be compatible with this upgrade.

In a nutshell, if you want or crave a specific kind of tone, I can do it.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 1 Jun 2012, 03:54 am »
Great feature, nice to see a constructor faces audio as a serious matter.
This feature is the tube rectification at Power Supply??
You do Pseudo-Rectification yet?? This option is no longer on your site
You see any problem in Teflon sockets??
Best

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #3 on: 1 Jun 2012, 01:16 pm »
There are different ways of getting classic tone. Mine is a passive circuit that contours the frequency response.

A tube rectifier or my once available pseudo tube rectifier upgrade changes the tone of an amplifier by making the high voltage supply more supple. The extra springiness provides more mids. This approach has pro's and con's and is only appropriate in specific situations. The classic tone upgrade I am describing works perfectly in any of my tube amplifiers.

There are plenty of good sockets out there. Micalex happens to be one of the best, IMO. They even work perfectly for high current jobs, such as relay sockets and multi-conductor, high current cabling.

Les Lammers

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jun 2012, 06:50 pm »
I am having this option added to an amp I ordered.  :green:

Fullrangeman, I had an amp with Teflon sockets. The supposed benefits were not worth the issues I had with them. YMMV.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 1 Jun 2012, 11:08 pm »
Thanks for reply Niteshade, I understood now.
Best regards

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 1 Jun 2012, 11:10 pm »
I am having this option added to an amp I ordered.  :green:

Fullrangeman, I had an amp with Teflon sockets. The supposed benefits were not worth the issues I had with them. YMMV.
OK, thanks for informing. PM sent.