rolling the power tubes for NS-30/40

djbnh

Re: rolling the power tubes for NS-30/40
« Reply #20 on: 9 Mar 2012, 11:09 pm »
I notice on my quad that the two middle power tubes have a greater glow than their respective lateral partners. The 5881s also presented similarly; I imagine its the way Blair works his circuit magic.

Regarding the 6SN7s - the ones Blair provided me are Motorola labelled 6SN7GTAs. Date code and related research shows one is a NOS GE, the other a NOS RCA - very happy with that complement of tubes.

Correction: changed "GTB" to "GTA"
« Last Edit: 23 Mar 2012, 12:31 pm by djbnh »

djbnh

« Reply #21 on: 10 Mar 2012, 11:00 pm »
For my NS-40...rolled in matched quad of Sovtek 6L6WXT+ tubes...The Sovtek 6L6WXT+ quad has started to amass some hours, I slightly adjusted the bias, and these tubes have transformed my NS-40: 1) soundstage dramatically increased on all three axes and is much more realistic; 2) positively enhanced macro-dynamics; 3) palpably improved imaging / localized instruments and voices; 4) palpably improved micro-detail; 5) increased amp power.

Today I carefully treated all the 6L6WXT+ pins with Walker SST. [I have used Lloyd Walker's SST for years; Walker has an E-SST formula that is supposed to be 20-30% better than the original.] Immediately noticeable positive improvements (even without the tubes fully warmed up), which I have grown to expect with this product. Greater defined bass, more detail across all frequency spectrums, higher volume levels with the same knob position on the Optocoupler, more positive everything.

Please be careful using SST or its sibling, I applied it a little less than 1/2 up the tube pin on all sides of each pin. Follow the directions exactly per Walker Audio's comments:

Quote from:  Walker Audio web site
Take your time and pay close attention. Use E-SST and SST at their own risk.  E-SST and SST are very conductive. If you get it across a connection, you can short out your equipment.  When applied properly, you will have no problems. In fact, we guarantee you’ll be satisfied with the results or we will refund the purchase price.

NOTE: I applied the SST a week ago to the NS-40's stock 6SN7s; this was prior to having the Sovtek 6L6WXT+ quad installed. ICs / PCs are already treated; just need to hit the SCs at some point. Boy, do I love tweaks that work.

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
« Reply #22 on: 12 Mar 2012, 08:57 pm »
That silver solution sounds interesting.

Note: If you're new to it, be VERY careful how you apply it. That stuff is conductive and you don't want to have it splash in between pins, etc..

Something else of interest: Sometimes going over the pins of a tube lightly with 500 grit wet/dry sandpaper, wiping them off well and then applying a thin coat of high grade oil works wonders. Corrosion will be removed and then make it more difficult to form again.

Unplugging and plugging the tubes back in a few times a year can be beneficial as well.

djbnh

« Reply #23 on: 12 Mar 2012, 09:56 pm »
Added a pair of tube dampers today to each of the power tubes, $9.99 + shipping. Perfect transaction, should have gotten some at the same time for the 6SN7 tubes - doh! I've done the Herbies route for the JD-100s 5751 tubes, but didn't want to lay down that much coin this time around. Seem to work well so far...

Things are shaping up nicely. Life's good!

6L6PPP

« Reply #24 on: 11 May 2012, 12:00 am »

The 6CG7 is a cleaner, clearer sound than most 6SN7s. The 6GU7 is a little more mellow and less upfront than the 6CG7 so I tend o like the 6GU7 even a little more. The 6SN7 I really like is the Sylvania tall bottle .... which I use in 7N7 form with an adapter.

I have never cared for any version of the 6N1P-EV I have tried. I use the NOS 6AQ7A if I need 6N1P characteristics. Electrically, the 6AQ7A and 6N1P are very similar and have the same pin out.

Hi, so how do the 6CG7 tubes sound versus the 6SN7 tubes. I think there is also another variant of the 6CG7, 6FQ7It doesn't have the Screen like the 6CG7 does. That is the only difference. Once you have the 6cg7 tube, a direct plug in is the 6n1P. I'm told properly biased, and it will bring out the potential of that tube. I think the guy who makes the Audio Mirror stuff told me about the bias issue. Something for you to play with Blair if you are so inclined. Anyway, interested in the differences in the 6SN7 versus the 6CG7 soundwise.

I read somewheres on the net, that the 6SN7 is the most copied tube out there. The 12AU7 was never ment to be used in audio. I don't remember the reason why. I think it's the problem with linearity. If memory serves me right, that is why the 12AX* and the 12AT* were preferred over the 12AU*. Anyhow, so much for info.

Ray Bronk