Way off with 4-wayed horns?

sloblo

Way off with 4-wayed horns?
« on: 29 May 2018, 11:54 am »
Hey guys,

Am I barking up the wrong line of gear? Although quite seldom discussed in forums and initially perhaps appearing veeery overkill I'm thinking NuPrime amps might still be a great match with horns/compression drivers. I'm running a stereo active 4-way where (currently and at least) 3 "ways" are horns. Sensitivities are ranging 97-111 dB's so power needs in all but the bass channels (15" or 18" at roughly 97 dB) are probably actually in the mW's. I don't listen super loud and the listening room is not that big either. I'm letting this system build take it's time and I'm learning from and enjoying every little change I make to the system.

I'm currently running an odd mix of amps from JJ 2A3 SET monos to DIY Holtons. The plan was to build a friend's proprietary design which is the best amp I've heard but it's going to take me a while to do 8 channels and I need to build a buffer/active 4-way crossover to replace the DCX2496 first along with tuning rear chambers for some of the horns, etc.

I've been eyeing the NuForces and lately the NuPrimes to:
- Get rid of the noise from the SETs/Holtons/Behringer. Gear that appear to be dead silent with 90 dB speakers can be quite hissy with 111dB.
- Get very good SQ, perhaps to the point where I won't care about building the other amps. 
- Get amps with the same or similar sound character for all channels. 
- Keep the budget tight.
- Not highest prio but nice if possible to do a one-box.

For these reasons I've been considering the NF MCA-18/20/30 and now actually even the NP MCH-K38 but except for perhaps the -18 they all seem slightly too powerful, can you imagine?  :lol: Most of the separates also seem as more power than needed. They will only play a few octaves each although some speakers are 12 and 16 ohms (which in a few of the designs shouldn't matter anyway, right?).

Any recommendations or info on similar usage and feedback on good or bad results is most welcome and also please let me know if I should mention sound preferences or more on the gear being connected to get more detailed feedback.

Cheers!

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
Re: Way off with 4-wayed horns?
« Reply #1 on: 29 May 2018, 01:26 pm »
Welcome Sloblo! Sounds like a great project and nice setup!

First, I have read every site that there is no such thing as 'too powerful'.  You can have a too weak an amp, but if it can deliver more watts and they are not 'demanded' by the speaker, then they don't do any harm. And you get reserves for when the music gets more dynamic.

So I wouldn't worry at all about the power.

The noise floor is a more complex issue.  Even with 87db sensitivity speakers, you can hear a hiss on the tweeters when music is not playing.  Jason has described this issue as endemic to the amp and he swears that this only happens when in 'idle' and no sound playing.

Still, this may produce a very noticeable sssssss on your very sensitive speakers.

About the match up between the NuPrimes and horns, I have never read anything about it,so I can't comment.

If going the DIY route,maybe take a look at Nelson Pass's First What products? You sound like the perfect candidate for something like the Aleph J.

Hope someone else has more insight, best regards,
Rafa.

sloblo

« Reply #2 on: 29 May 2018, 02:04 pm »
Thanks Rafa! Wow, quick feedback.

Hissing when idle is only a minor inconvenience.

Most of Sir Nelsons First Watts would likely be a great match but too costly to get to 8 channels with the factory builds. There are his DIY versions but then I might as well go with my friend's design (understanding most would questions the comparison in terms of SQ, at least until they heard it).

Cheers

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2018, 05:15 pm »
Oh, yeah, I was thinking the DIY ones, not the 'off the shelf' ones, which would be seriously expensive for 8 channels, I agree.

If hiss is not much of a concern, can you audition or try one of the NuPrimes?  Given your requirements, the MCH-K38 was made for your exact needs!  It would be great.  For the price, you would save $100 on 4 x STA-9.  The advantage of those is that, if further down the road you decide to change your 8 channel setup, those could be easily reassigned to bedroom, computer, friends, or even mono's o a different setup, or even sold easier than the K38.

So I think that the only concern would be powering them all on since they don't have triggers, but that is not a trouble at all. 

Good luck and please keep sharing your decision process so we can drool over your nice speakers and setup.

Best regards,
Rafa.

sloblo

« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2018, 09:50 pm »
A colleague has the ST-10/DAC-10 combo which I still haven’t got around to hear. Will try to do so very soon for initial impressions.

Got an old Copland CD player which hisses some when ideling but stops that as soon as you hit play. Something similar may be tolerable.

About your suggestion on the STA-9 I was also considering using it for some of the channels with STA-6 for some in order to save some but considering matching sound character and gain, not that it really is that much of an issue as speaker drivers and sensitivity aren’t the same across channels. Probably more about synergies and personal taste.

Except for the K38 there’s perhaps also the new MCX-4 to consider but I haven’t found anything on price and release date. Anything lower powered stuff along those lines coming too? Like a new MCA-18?

pis99

« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2018, 12:57 am »
I own an early version Nufoce multi-channel amp MCH-3SE-C7 that drive a pair of 3-way active crossover speakers (Waveform MACH 17). It is probably the best combination I have ever tried.
I always like tube gears with my other horn systems but have to admit there is nothing short with Nufoce amp. The pop sound when Nufoce amp powering up really does not bother me at all.   

sloblo

« Reply #6 on: 30 May 2018, 10:07 pm »
Thanks for your input, pis99. Didnt now about those speakers before but they seem quite impressive. Been eyeing that amp too but I need one more channel. Your Waveforms are 90 dB, right? Have you tried your amp with horns too?

pis99

« Reply #7 on: 31 May 2018, 06:25 am »
Yes, I did try some horn drivers without a problem with MCH-3SE-C7 such as Gauss 4080; not a hiss at 50% of the volume control with my preamp.

The mid and tweeter of Waveform Mach 17 is actually pretty sensitive between 95-97 db. But I would not try S/S with some of my horn drivers like Altec 802b, JBL375 gray or Jensen G610, these drivers are simply amazing with tube gears.

Thanks for your input, pis99. Didnt now about those speakers before but they seem quite impressive. Been eyeing that amp too but I need one more channel. Your Waveforms are 90 dB, right? Have you tried your amp with horns too?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #8 on: 31 May 2018, 12:01 pm »
It's good that you already have the speakers before researching amps.  Bass horns get really big (think the size of a garage) and heavenly reinforced (expanding foam filled backside cavities or reinforced concrete) to fully cover the frequency range of unamplified music (30 Hz).  Even then they can sound constipated, which is where old school poorly damped tube amps come in to compensate (not that I'm a fan of using one distortion to cancel another).  Just look at Klipschorns as an example of big (but relatively poorly braced).  They use 9 feet of wall on either side and still are rated to get down to only 33 Hz.  Those dang laws of physics at work.

Horns (even those with ported bass) work best in really large spaces, like 20,000 cubic feet or bigger to alleviate the typical horn 'forwardness' and allow integration of different drivers.  But in those big spaces they can sound magnificent.  One solution for smaller rooms is the simplify by dropping down to a 2-way design (horn mid/tweeter plus ported/sealed bass).  There are many fine examples of such speakers, including the current JBL M2 that is a favorite in mastering studios.  Many years ago I built speakers that had too much bass capacity for any space I'd ever be able to afford and ended up giving them away, so take care. 

Regarding NuPrime amps being too big, yes there might be noise and turn on transient issues, but also an issue of not having a usable volume control range (for instance at 7:00 on the dial no sound, but at 8:00 too loud).   Adding resistors could help, but you'd be losing some of the dynamics that horns are so good at providing.

sloblo

« Reply #9 on: 4 Jun 2018, 11:05 am »
pis 99, thanks, useful input. I've moved my JJ239 2A3 monos between different channels and e.g. with BMS 4592ND drivers at 117 dB(!) it gets too noisy. I currently use them for treble with TPL-150H at 101 dB. Better but still too noisy. Slightly sweeter and holographic than the other amps but not to a point where I can justify that costly gear for an octave and a half. The 2x10W JJ 323 I also had before had the same issues and was too loose for upper bass and bass. Never thought I'd say it but I've been ready for a while now to move away from tubes. If I ever go for a set of full range drivers I may reconsider. :)

sloblo

« Reply #10 on: 4 Jun 2018, 11:07 am »
Thanks JLM,

Maybe I should provide some details of the current speaker setup. In the top I'm running TPL-150H from 7000 Hz, first order. Mids are Radian 950 16 Ohms from 800-7000 Hz, first order for both. They play into JMLC 270. Upper bass/low mid are Faital M5N8 12 Ohms from 150-800 Hz, first order, playing into 140 Hz tractrix. Bass are (currently) vintage Altec 416a to 150 Hz, second order, in some super sturdy 200L-ish reflex cabs. I've also been using 18" BMS 18N850v1 for bass duty and haven't settled yet, depends partly on where the'll be crossed over. My room allows for experimenting so down the line I may fiddle with anything from TH, IB, OB, corner loaded horn, etc. but prio now is on the other channels.

Despite the smallish room of roughly 26 square meters I won't simplify to a 2-way just yet as I'm having too much fun. The closest I've got is trying BMS4592ND coaxes in the 140 Hz horns but despite the point sourciness I didn't think it worked that well. Way too big horn to also cover treble duty in my view, leading to coloration. Some seem to be pursuing this track successfully, but I haven’t heard it myself. I've been trying JBL 4560 clones (horn/BR thingy as you mentioned) with both JBL K130 and the Altecs which didn't cut it during my attempts (actually opening up the backs to run them OB-ish didn’t sound half bad). I could do some more 3-way mix and match explorations with the stuff I have at hand but that would likely imply skipping the 140 Hz horns which would be sad as they are too interesting in this range, although it does get a bit more forward. Then again, most other non-horn stuff playing this range have a hard time keeping pace with mid horns.

About the size of bass horns, a friend of mine have a bespoke all front horns 4-way system in concrete in a moderately sized living room where it plays flat to 16 Hz and the music is totally decoupled from the speakers and the crossings are seamless. His bass horns take up a nice portion of his basement. Another friend have a bespoke 3-way all front horn garden system to get rid of all wall/ceiling reflections where the speakers are 6 meters apart. A huge mono bass horn sits in the middle which still doesn’t go under 30 Hz on paper but plays at least as vast as an outdoor PA except it’s got high end sound instead of the usual mush. He also has a very nice bespoke indoor horned 4-way (A7 mid bass and TH for subs) so I got some nice reference points of what big horns are capable of in a few different settings. I have also heard with my own attempts when things gets colored and congested which is mostly when I ask more of the horns than their range allows. As you said, physics. One could argue asking the 140 Hz horns to go down to 150 Hz is just that, despite simulating and measuring ok. In the end everything about recreating recorded events is a compromise to some degree.

I realize some of the stuff I combine isn't 100% optimal and some might wonder why I've changed a lot of pretty competent gear around but parts of it I just happened to have at hand from an earlier rehearsal studio, some I got at very reasonable prices as combo deals when buying other stuff and a few boxes where about to get tossed if I hadn’t saved them. It’s still a low budget system.

About hum and hiss, I’ve heard another fellow horn aficionado’s Avant Garde Trios in a 100 square meters listening room with an LM219IA amp that was too hissy for my taste but the other above mentioned systems’ bespoke amps are dead silent. In reviews NuForce/NuPrime are always said to be dead silent even paired with higher sensitivity speakers. Still, silent at e.g. 94 dB may not necessarily equal silent at 111 dB, but maybe it is. Mild on/off thuds are fine too.

Anyway, this thread was originally about finding great sounding and easy to work with amplification to match my stuff so I hope I’m not wasting anyone’s time rambling about horns. :)

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #11 on: 4 Jun 2018, 11:39 am »
With 6 posts you can now PM rusty to get an idea of how much useful volume range you might have.  BTW you never mentioned what preamp or source you're using.  Power amp input sensitivity, preamp rated output, and volume control used would all factor into this.

In a 26 m2 room you definitely are over killing by my (old fart) standards.   :oops:  Have you suffered any hearing loss/pain (yet)?  Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. 

What is "TH"?

sloblo

« Reply #12 on: 4 Jun 2018, 09:07 pm »
Thanks for the tip, JLM.

Sorry, TH is Tapped Horn.

Sources are an old Copland cda-277 CD player, a Sony TTS3000 turn table in a custom plinth, Schick 12” arm with an SPU and some other turn tables which also havn’t been used lately while I fiddled with the horns. Mostly CD and occasionally some computered music with iFi dac.

Currently I’m using an all RCA Khozmo passive with SMD stepped attenuator. Can’t recall but I think 25-30 kOhms. I also have the JJ243 tube preamp with a choice of regulated 10 dB/5 kOhms 8 V max, 0 dB/50 kOhms and unregulated 0 dB/50 kOhms. The plan is to build a Jfet buffered 4-way analog crossover myself with the khozmo att or something similar once I settle the crossover frequencies. Will mostly be 1st order. Been testing a lot/learning a lot with the Behringer DCX2496 and another simpler Behringer crossover for the lows. The only power amp I got info on are the JJ239 monos. I don’t have any interest plugging for off topic brands but for specs have a look here: http://www.jj-electronic.com/en/ the other 3 power amps I don’t have info on. They where dirt cheap but with the usual punching above yada yada. 8)

I’m also considering myself an old fart, now at 46.:o As stated in the original post I don’t listen very loud. This may come off strange to some but this is actually one of the reasons I’m pursuing this 4-way horns track. My audiogram is a sad read with some serious dips in the mids and a bunch of other issues as well, like tinnitus. My doctor says shying away will only make it (appear) worse. I’ve always used either the simple or the fancy ear plugs when rehearsing, gigging and occasionally working as a live audio engineer many years ago but there’s still some damage. I find listening to the highly resolved, less grainy playback of horns both easier and very addictive and the fullness of e.g. using a large transducer which hardly needs to move for lows, yet really fills and feels makes it more real to me without having to turn up the dial. They let me listen during longer sessions without fatigue than e.g. the Gallo Nucleus (still a nice pair of speakers) 2-ways I’ve used before. Don’t get me wrong, maybe because I used to play the bass or that I have no hearing issues from low mid down, I really dislike excessive bass from systems, be it anything from headphones to PAs. Got a hunch this is relatable if you’ve got OBs with 15”s. :wink:

sloblo

« Reply #13 on: 8 Jun 2018, 12:09 pm »
Maybe this has been mentioned elsewhere already, but can someone with experience of both comment on the differences in sound with the MCH-K38 vs (NuForce) MCA-20?

Also, does the K38 half the power at 16Ω? If I'm not mistaken it doesn't but the MCA-20 does.

Cheers!

John Ransley

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 9 Jun 2018, 12:33 am »
Hi Sloblo,

John from totallywired.nz here - I've sold a lot of both the NuForce 8 channels and the MCH-K38, so hopefully can help.

The MCA-20 is effectively on the same level as 4 of the original NuForce STA-100 power amps. Good value at the time but bettered by the NuPrime STA-9 by a worthwhile margin. Don't underestimate the amount of progress the NuPrime team have made since the MCA 20 came out some 6 years ago.

The MCH-K38 is up another level again and would be a far better choice for you - quite simply it sounds better in every regard - more detail, richer and more controlled. In normal mode, my own listening suggests each channel set is qualitatively about half way between the STA-9 and ST-10 stereo power amps. In bridged mode, slightly better than the ST-10 but there isn't much in it.

On a completely practical level, the MCH-K38 is a newer design and I've found them more reliable. It is far more flexible with both balanced and RCA inputs plus the bridging feature. The ability to switch individual channels on and off via the front panel is really useful. Given the considerable investment you are making in this system - not forgetting time - the MCH-K38 would seem to offer by far the best value. You may never use all of the power it offers, but the quality is there and it's a better long term bet.

Most of the MCH-K38s we've sold have gone into stereo systems where they are bridged and bi-amping a set of floor-standers. With all the Cinema systems we have tended to stay with 5 channels and bridge the front LCR array. In these contexts the NuPrime '38 is head and shoulders above the old MCA-20.

sloblo

« Reply #15 on: 12 Jun 2018, 03:07 pm »
Hi John,

Sorry for the late reply and thank you for good input!
I had a look around your store’s website which is very nice and provides much more interesting info than one is used to from the average hifi store. :thumb:

Cheers