martyo's RMAF 2005 Tineo HT3's

jsalk

martyo's RMAF 2005 Tineo HT3's
« on: 11 Nov 2007, 05:41 pm »
We've been extremely busy lately and just now found time to take some photos of the HT3's we built for the Rocky Mountain Audiofest.

I built this pair for myself.  It is the sixth pair I built for myself since Frank Van Alstine purchased my personal pair back in March.  Of the five previous pairs, I had one in my home for 24 hours before it was sold.  The other four never even made it that far.

So when we finished these, I told myself that I was not going to sell them at RMAF.  They were mine and I was going to keep them.

But when Marty's wife asked whether I could build another pair just like them, I told her that I was not sure I could get any more of this veneer.  I purchased a batch with just enough for two pairs and this was the second pair built.  And I couldn't guarantee I could find any more.

She then indicated she wanted this pair.  I told her they were not for sale.  But she persisted.  After about a half and hour, we finally agreed that she could have them provided she wait for delivery until I had a chance to build another pair for myself.  So Marty will just have to wait a while longer.

Here they are...

And a close-up...

Happy listening Marty! (come January, that is)...

- Jim

jmc207

Re: martyo's RMAF 2005 Tineo HT3's
« Reply #1 on: 11 Nov 2007, 06:11 pm »
Just simply exquisite!

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #2 on: 11 Nov 2007, 06:26 pm »
Jim...
Once again....nice work  !!! :thumb:

Hey Marty.....

When you get your speakers....can I borrow them ?
They are the perfect height...... :wink:
Happy listening.........
                           Chris

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #3 on: 11 Nov 2007, 07:06 pm »
Those are definately gorgeous.  I was at RMAF, I thought it was one of the nicest looking speakers at the whole show.  I've had about 75 sq/ft of Figured Tineo I've been sitting on for about the last year, waiting for the right time to use it.  When I saw your speakers at the show I was in awe of just how great it can look finished!

carusoracer

« Reply #4 on: 11 Nov 2007, 11:52 pm »
Wow aa aa aa

NealH

« Reply #5 on: 12 Nov 2007, 12:43 am »
No wonder his wife would not compromise.  She might have to wait for eternity for another pair like that and, even then it might never happen.  Standout workmanship. 

TomS

« Reply #6 on: 12 Nov 2007, 01:04 am »
I never really was much for appreciating art as a student, but every time I see a pair of these it's the same - just amazing interpretations of what nature provides in these woods and the workmanship to turn them into something special.  Great job Jim and congratulations Martyo!  Tom

martyo

« Reply #7 on: 12 Nov 2007, 02:27 pm »
Thanks for the pic's Jim and of course agreeing to sell us your beautiful speakers. It's funny, you've been speakerless since you sold Frank your pair in March and Frank's praise and decision to make the HT3's his speaker is how we initially heard of the HT3's and became curious.

Sheila can be persistent and persuasive.(In nice ways)

I never looked at the speakers at the show as mine. We had an earlier flight out Sunday so Saturday was the end of the show for us. It was 5:55 on Saturday and we were getting ready for an after hours set with some linesources when Sheila expressed her desire for Jim's speakers. There was an open elevator waiting for us (certainly a sign  :lol:) and we caught Jim and Mary locking up for the night and the rest is history............So the closeup pictures are really appreciated because we would have ordered oak(which is nice, I like oak ALOT)but the Tineo is really something very special.

Hey Marty.....

When you get your speakers....can I borrow them ?
They are the perfect height......
Happy listening.........
                           Chris

In addition to the Tineo, they have been officially "leaned on" by THE officially sanctioned speaker leaner. Chris, they ARE the right height. I don't know about borrowing, but you have an open invitation to lean and listen if you're ever in the Chicago area.  :thumb:

Beautiful work as always Jim?   aa

January stills seems like a long way out.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #8 on: 12 Nov 2007, 02:43 pm »
Now Marty, what part of the commission do I get? :P

martyo

« Reply #9 on: 12 Nov 2007, 03:21 pm »
Now Marty, what part of the commission do I get? :P
Yes Pete, you were definitely an important piece of the whole process, I forget that sometimes, you being so small and quiet and just blending into the scenery.   :lol:  Seriously, with show conditions and Jim's consideration of his neighbors, you helped me with the decision alot sharing with me some of the HT3's characteristics in your own system! Still looking forward to spending some time with you on the road trip to pick up the speakers.  8)

95bcwh

« Reply #10 on: 14 Nov 2007, 04:08 pm »
Jim,
  Build me a pair like this if you can find a similar veneer!!!!!! :drool: :drool: :drool:

My check book is ready.. :green: :green:
barry

jsalk

« Reply #11 on: 14 Nov 2007, 05:14 pm »
Barry -

Jim,
  Build me a pair like this if you can find a similar veneer!!!!!! :drool: :drool: :drool:

barry

If you are serious, I will start searching for another batch...no promises...but...
- Jim

95bcwh

« Reply #12 on: 14 Nov 2007, 05:46 pm »
Jim...I'm very serious.. will pay you half the speaker cost as deposit..I don't need any upgrade on this pair, just the standard option.. :wink: :wink:

barry

Barry -

Jim,

barry

If you are serious, I will start searching for another batch...no promises...but...
- Jim

jsalk

« Reply #13 on: 14 Nov 2007, 07:26 pm »
Jim...I'm very serious.. will pay you half the speaker cost as deposit..I don't need any upgrade on this pair, just the standard option.. :wink: :wink:

barry

Barry -

I put out some feelers. I'll let you know what I hear.

- Jim 

martyo

Re: martyo's RMAF 2007 Tineo HT3's
« Reply #14 on: 24 Dec 2007, 09:43 pm »
Well, I just thought I'd use this thread because the story of our purchase is here.

Jim offered us the speakers for over the holidays even though he has not completed his replacement pair. I have 11 days off, I had to take that offer, but we really weren't supposed to get them until January. That was very thoughtful of Jim.
Saturday morning 5:30 I hit the road, a 340 mile drive each way, just me and my thermos of tea. Upon arriving met Mary, Jim's lovely wife in the driveway, Jim appeared and invited me in and down we went to do some listening. When I saw the speakers I couldn't get over how beautiful they were. I didn't really look that close at RMAF and the pictures don't really show the richness of the beauty. I need BrianM to write a description that might do them justice. Fit and finish were immaculate of course and the wood, the grain, the colors, I was and still am in awe. Best furniture in our house by quite a bit. For sure the best looking speakers I have ever seen!!!!

We listened for awhile, Jim asked if they sounded like I remember and my reply was that they sounded A LOT better. We had a very enjoyable visit and some 3 hours later I was headed back home. I'm trying to keep this brief for now but hanging with Jim for 3 hours was worth the drive.

I have had a bias against conventional type speakers, except for bass. I've liked planers and 60" ribbons and the like, and no "little" 10" woofers. You may have read posts by me being concerned about the low end and that the speakers might be too accurate, too revealing for my Dead concerts and the like and I was really worried that they would have a "small" presentation.  :lol: :icon_lol: :lol: :icon_lol: :lol: :icon_

Nothing "small" at all with the presentation, the bass is wonderful, and as far as being too revealing? Everything I've listened too is better. An average recording is still average but it sounds better because I'm hearing all of what's there, and of course better recordings sound much better.

This is just a very brief "first impression" kind of report. I prefer to live with something for awhile before posting but as I've been listening I keep wanting to tell everyone: WOW, THIS IS REALLY SOMETHING SPECIAL

Thanks Jim for building a "World Class Speaker" and for the early Christmas present.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #15 on: 25 Dec 2007, 04:58 am »
Marty....Looks like your all set.... 8)

Enjoy your HT3's.....and have a Merry Christmas!!! :xmas:

Chris

AliG

« Reply #16 on: 25 Dec 2007, 05:09 am »
Marty, I was hoping that you don't like the HT3 so you can sell that pair to me... :drool: :drool: :drool:

Congratulation on your purchase and Merry Christmas!

Barry
« Last Edit: 25 Dec 2007, 03:56 pm by AliG »

mark funk

« Reply #17 on: 25 Dec 2007, 12:56 pm »
NO AliG, If Martyo don't like them  :lol: I get them! :smoke:

martyo

« Reply #18 on: 25 Dec 2007, 03:53 pm »
NO AliG, If Martyo don't like them  :lol: I get them! :smoke:

That's the truth. Mark, my brother, started this journey for me when he loaned me his AVA Transcendence 5 last year. I hadn't bought any gear for almost 17years, and I didn't listen very often anymore. That led me to find a used AVA Super Pas 3i and establish a 4 year rebuilding plan. Preamp>amp>speakers>DAC. Then last year Mark went to RMAF and came back raving about the HT3's.
Well, the 4 year plan got reduced to about 9 months. Preamp>amp>DAC>speakers. And while we were waiting for the HT3's, everytime I started doubting or worrying he would first talk about the characteristics of the HT3's and finish by saying he would absolutely take them if I wasn't happy.

I quit smoking 13 years ago, but there were those times when you just finished something  :wink: and a cigarette completed the experience. It feels like that now after a listening session.   :smoke:   :lol:

Merry Christmas

carusoracer

« Reply #19 on: 26 Dec 2007, 06:11 pm »
Nice speakers and Congrat!

"You may have read posts by me being concerned about the low end and that the speakers might be too accurate, too revealing for my Dead concerts and the like"

I guess that changed a little when Jerry was in the room with ya :thumb: Great imaging and soundstage.

I saw them several times and the sound was always first class from their shows. I never remember hearing anything but good clean powerful sound. Let me know if you have some CD's of shows to share 8)