New SUV !! So happy!!

RDavidson

Re: New SUV !! So happy!!
« Reply #20 on: 1 Sep 2019, 07:05 pm »
I 100% disagree that auto makers are simply catering to the public. It's A LOT more complex than that and you seem to understand this as well.

With that in mind, what is your goal here? There are far FAR worse vehicle choices than a used Honda CR-V available, if one's goal is to destroy the planet. You know this, as you stated "at least it's a 4-cylinder." Clearly, all you came here to do was thread dump and continue trolling. For someone so "intelligent," couldn't you have simply started your own thread about your planet-saving vehicle choice and let stlrman have this space to share his vehicle choice? :duh:

syzygy

« Reply #21 on: 1 Sep 2019, 08:41 pm »
Only in the US.  This has nothing to do with being "elitist".  It has to do with making smart choices for the future of the country and the world.  People in Europe realize the threat and they are making the right choices, and their governments are making the right choices.  They are taking to the streets to protest in a big way.  Norway is over 30% electric now thanks to those choices.  China has more electric vehicles than any other country in the world. Many cities in Europe have banned diesels.

The auto manufacturers will cater to the public, so if the public wants to destroy the planet, they will do whatever it takes.  They only care about profits and sales.  It takes government intervention to change this.  For instance, legislation that only hybrids will be sold or that once a vehicle is in park, that 30 seconds later it shuts off.  These are intelligent solutions that make a difference.

Europe might be a nice place for you to live.

A good analogy is a house with a small fire festering.  If you are aware of the fire, you don't wait until it gets too large to put out, consuming the entire house.  You don't sit in the house smoking and flicking burning butts on the floor.  Unless of course if you are a complete idiot.

Brettio

« Reply #22 on: 1 Sep 2019, 09:12 pm »
For someone so "intelligent," couldn't you have simply started your own thread about your planet-saving vehicle choice and let stlrman have this space to share his vehicle choice? :duh:

Totally agree. 

The typical hypocrisy of those that choose to critique others choices is that this guy has made the decision to make a living creating nonessential products that rely on an intense chain of fossil fuel burning transportation to receive and deliver his products.  Last time I checked FedEx and UPS use fleets of airplanes, trucks, and delivery vans (those vans often running while sitting idle while the deliveries are made) that are consuming fossil fuels and creating pollution.  Yet he chastises others for not driving battery powered cars while he’s the one selling out the earth for the mighty dollar.

kingdeezie

« Reply #23 on: 1 Sep 2019, 09:23 pm »
Totally agree. 

The typical hypocrisy of those that choose to critique others choices is that this guy has made the decision to make a living creating nonessential products that rely on an intense chain of fossil fuel burning transportation to receive and deliver his products.  Last time I checked FedEx and UPS use fleets of airplanes, trucks, and delivery vans (those vans often running while sitting idle while the deliveries are made) that are consuming fossil fuels and creating pollution.  Yet he chastises others for not driving battery powered cars while he’s the one selling out the earth for the mighty dollar.

This x 1000000000000000.  :bowdown: :bowdown:

Enjoy the new car OP!

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #24 on: 1 Sep 2019, 09:37 pm »
Totally agree. 

+2, unless someone beats me to it.

Congrats to you Stirlman. We had a 2nd gen CRV years ago, my wife drove it, and loved it until we gave it to my daughter. She drove it until some idiot ran a red light and totaled it.

She replaced it with an 07 BMW 328x wagon. I advised against that car, but it's still running strong with 240K miles on it.

One of my neighbors, who lives with wife only, owns 3 CRVs.  :o Not sure why.

audioengr

« Reply #25 on: 2 Sep 2019, 01:37 am »
I 100% disagree that auto makers are simply catering to the public. It's A LOT more complex than that and you seem to understand this as well.

With that in mind, what is your goal here? There are far FAR worse vehicle choices than a used Honda CR-V available, if one's goal is to destroy the planet. You know this, as you stated "at least it's a 4-cylinder." Clearly, all you came here to do was thread dump and continue trolling. For someone so "intelligent," couldn't you have simply started your own thread about your planet-saving vehicle choice and let stlrman have this space to share his vehicle choice? :duh:

This is not about trolling.  It's about educating and making those that are unaware aware.  If people don't yet realize that we are at a critical moment right now, then they are asleep at the wheel.  How many millions of acres of forest have to burn? The Amazon is burning and 9 million acres of forest in Siberia is burning.  How many 100 year floods in a 3 year period does it take?  How many temperature records have to be broken? How many category 5 hurricanes does it take?

People in the US are doing NOTHING to mitigate this.  They continue to buy gas guzzlers and sit in parking lots with the engines idling while they look at their cell-phones.  They continue to make unnecessary trips every single day.  Workers leave their diesel trucks running all day long for no reason.  It's not their diesel.  There are millions of cars sitting idling in post office parking lots, Costco and Walmart parking lots every day for no reason.  Most doctors offices still burn incandescent bulbs all day long.

All Americans care about is the freedom to do whatever they want whenever they want, regardless of the consequences, and that they are able to live cheaply and afford the next cigarette, Jim Beam, a new big screen TV and that Super Bowl ticket.  The values in this country are totally screwed-up and have been declining for 30 years.  It has to change, or you will see a flight of the wealthy from this country, with the associated loss in revenues.  Then the US will actually start to be a third-world country.

audioengr

« Reply #26 on: 2 Sep 2019, 01:47 am »
Totally agree. 

For your information, UPS drivers turn off their trucks at every stop.  My local dairy trucks turn off at every stop too, even though they have to be refrigerated.  They have designed their trucks so that they don't need any refrigerator running, even when its 90 degrees outside.  These are examples of how individuals and companies can be responsible and part of the solution.

As for nonessential products: Humans need art, culture, vacations and pets to maintain health and flourish.  I make very small products, so that the shipping is a minimal cost and the damage to the environment is amortized over a lot of other cargo.

I would argue that cigarettes, vaping, alcohol, sugar drinks, coffee and other addictive substances are nonessential and cause a much bigger carbon footprint than my shipping.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #27 on: 2 Sep 2019, 02:03 am »
audioengr may actually be wrong and his Tesla Model S may actually be worse for the planet vs the CRV he's criticizing in terms of CO2 emissions. It's certainly far worse in terms of environmental impact from rare earth mining and the child labor used to mine cobalt in Africa, the energy intensive and toxic manufacturing processes, etc. The Tesla model S has about 2x the materials required for transportation so it can be fast and luxurious. It's a ~5k lb luxury car with massive power, which means huge motors and huge batteries. It's probably much worse overall in environmental impact and carbon emissions vs a small car like a Honda Fit in all conceivable ways. 

IMO, it's totally hypocritical, ignorant and judgemental to take the position audioengr is taking. Unbelievable!   :shake:

sonicboom

« Reply #28 on: 2 Sep 2019, 02:51 am »
audioengr may actually be wrong and his Tesla Model S may actually be worse for the planet vs the CRV he's criticizing in terms of CO2 emissions. It's certainly far worse in terms of environmental impact from rare earth mining and the child labor used to mine cobalt in Africa, the energy intensive and toxic manufacturing processes, etc. The Tesla model S has about 2x the materials required for transportation so it can be fast and luxurious. It's a ~5k lb luxury car with massive power, which means huge motors and huge batteries. It's probably much worse overall in environmental impact and carbon emissions vs a small car like a Honda Fit in all conceivable ways. 

IMO, it's totally hypocritical, ignorant and judgemental to take the position audioengr is taking. Unbelievable!   :shake:

It's virtue signaling, that's all. I too, have a very low threshold for the self-righteous babble spewed by the didactic 'progressives'.

You'd expect someone with the word engineer in his handle to exercise a modicum of critical thinking and to have a better grasp of the bigger picture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIjnmVkzOM4

https://simplicable.com/new/virtue-signaling

Brettio

« Reply #29 on: 2 Sep 2019, 02:52 am »
For your information, UPS drivers turn off their trucks at every stop.  My local dairy trucks turn off at every stop too, even though they have to be refrigerated.  They have designed their trucks so that they don't need any refrigerator running, even when its 90 degrees outside.  These are examples of how individuals and companies can be responsible and part of the solution.

As for nonessential products: Humans need art, culture, vacations and pets to maintain health and flourish.  I make very small products, so that the shipping is a minimal cost and the damage to the environment is amortized over a lot of other cargo.

I would argue that cigarettes, vaping, alcohol, sugar drinks, coffee and other addictive substances are nonessential and cause a much bigger carbon footprint than my shipping.

Too funny, you cite UPS’s environmental conscious actions but yet you don’t use their shipping services because you’ve had insurance issues (according to your website).  Again the mighty dollar drives your actions.  Admit it, it’s not necessarily a bad thing. 

The rest of your ‘justification’ is just plain silly.  My kids have more to fear from delusional folks like you then they do from my vehicle.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #30 on: 2 Sep 2019, 03:13 am »
The shipping of raw material to china is a minor problem, there is another worse, more dangerous disaster going on than batteries, various YT videos informing global damage, millions of bees and birds are being killed now by 5G phone transmission towers by creating brain disorientation by strong magnetic fields, it also can warm human beings.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #31 on: 2 Sep 2019, 03:14 am »
My daughter just bought a new CRV and loves it.  I will get to drive it next week when we visit her.  We will be buying a new SUV next year to replace our 2004 Nissan Murano that has only 75,000 miles on it.  Time for my wife to get a new car.  We will be looking at the CRV and the Mazda CX5 turbo.  If the CX5 drives anything like my 2108 Mazda 6 turbo Grand Touring Reserve edition we will probably buy it.  My wife wants an SUV that handles like the Murano which handles like a sports sedan.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #32 on: 2 Sep 2019, 01:03 pm »
Haven't seen anyone do a full/detailed cradle to grave environmental impact analysis of electric versus hybrid versus gas/diesel.  For many (apartment dwellers, those who routinely travel long distances, or don't have access to charging stations), electric makes little sense. 

A more reasonable electric option is the Hyundai Kona electric (North America's utility vehicle of the year), or the Kia EV (kissing cousins).  $38,000 before tax credits, 120 MPGe, 240 mile range, good performance from a compact SUV, but limited availability.

bkatbamna

« Reply #33 on: 2 Sep 2019, 02:08 pm »
I've had a Mercedes C 300 for 11 years(don't do a lot of driving) with around 70,000 miles on it.  Once it gives up the ghost, I'll probably get Honda or Lexus.  I've had a couple of strange expensive issues with my car.  One was the security module in the car stopped recognizing my key.  That meant that the steering wheel didn't unlock and it was tough to get the car out of my garage and on the truck.  The other was that the clutch gave out.  Cost around $4500 for both.  Not to mention the expensive services, thankfully only once a year.

twitch54

« Reply #34 on: 2 Sep 2019, 03:04 pm »
stirman, trying to get your thread 'back on the road', the 'empirical wizard' seems hell bent on taking over your thread. He obviously isn't smart enough to start his own ...........

Anyways, enjoy your new ride for years to come !

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #35 on: 2 Sep 2019, 04:23 pm »
This is what i drive

Why?
Because I  love my children more than anyone here loves their children :lol:

You're awesome man...😎👍

😂😂😂😂

audioengr

« Reply #36 on: 2 Sep 2019, 05:41 pm »

Prove it.  It's easy to prove that petroleum, gasoline, diesel and oil are causing global warming.  There is a direct relationship.  If electrics are charged from renewables and they last longer than ICE cars and the batteries are not hazardous (LI is not and future battery technologies will be even less of an environmental risk), then I don't see it.

The reason that Musk started Tesla was for the environment and global warming.  If it didn't make sense, then why is China behind electrics?  Why is the EU behind electrics?

It's the climate deniers that are ignorant and they will pay the price.

audioengr

« Reply #37 on: 2 Sep 2019, 05:43 pm »
The shipping of raw material to china is a minor problem, there is another worse, more dangerous disaster going on than batteries, various YT videos informing global damage, millions of bees and birds are being killed now by 5G phone transmission towers by creating brain disorientation by strong magnetic fields, it also can warm human beings.

Sounds like propaganda to me.  Where did you hear this?

Bees are diminishing they believe due to the insecticides that the EPA refuses to ban, encroachment of humans on habitat and global warming.

Photon46

« Reply #38 on: 2 Sep 2019, 07:00 pm »
This thread is taking an unfortunate and predictable turn for the worse. It really is a pity that a technologically savvy and intelligent group of readers such as we have on this forum can't discuss these issues without calling each other names and seeing who is the more ideologically righteous. Seems to me there are elements of truth on both sides of the issue as argued in this thread.

It's been well reported that Elon Musk has wanted Tesla to produce electric cars that convinced the public to think of them as "sexy" and desirable.Their Roadster from a decade past, the upcoming Roadster, and the Model S are engineered and marketed to be statement vehicles designed to make the public think about high status cars in a different way. It's obvious the larger, more powerful Teslas consume more resources and energy to manufacture and operate. It's also obvious that many governments and think tanks around the world see electric vehicles as a less polluting alternative to internal combustion vehicles. Future mass market electric transports for the average consumer around the world aren't going to be as large, luxurious, and resource intensive as Tesla products however. Even if Teslas aren't a perfect paragon of environmental righteousness as manufactured today, battery power technology will continue to be refined and their negative attributes will be reduced. https://cleantechnica.com/2018/07/17/panasonic-pledges-to-decrease-cobalt-content-of-tesla-ev-batteries/

However, not every government is equally keen on electric vehicles. In August, Singapore's environmental minister got into a public spat with Mr. Musk. Long story short, Singapore believes that a combination of investment in mass transit and encouraging development of hydrogen powered vehicles is the better alternative for their nation. In Japan, Honda and Toyota are working to have 160 hydrogen fueling stations supporting 40,000 fuel cell vehicles operating by 2021. Japan's national goal is to have 900 fueling stations operating in support of 800,000 fuel cell vehicles by 2030. Of course, while technological r&d is evolving for fuel cell technology, electric vehicles and their battery technology is evolving as well. It will be fascinating to see which technology eventually gains the major foothold in the market.

audioengr

« Reply #39 on: 2 Sep 2019, 07:27 pm »
It's been well reported that Elon Musk has wanted Tesla to produce electric cars that convinced the public to think of them as "sexy" and desirable.

This is precisely Elon's strategy and has been all along.  Because he understood that people will never choose the electric car to save the planet, he must make them sexy, fun and fast.  His ultimate goal was to offer the people's car, the model 3, but Tesla could not have survived if this happened first.  He had to market a luxury high-performance car first to be successful.

As a result of Tesla innovation, we now have many cars with the same safety and convenience features as the Tesla, including Autopilot, front radar speed ranging etc..   If you want to keep your dog or child cool in the summer time in the car while you are shipping however, you will need a Tesla.  Elon opened-up his patents so that any other car maker can use them.  If he was in this for the money, why in the world would he do that?

There are political and corporate powers trying to fight the inevitable electric transition, including all of the oil interests, but electric will prevail.  Virtually every automaker now offers an electric or is gearing-up to make them soon in the future.  GM just closed a plant making ICE cars to open a new plant making electrics.  The power grid will be undergoing an overhaul to make the smart-grid, but a big part of that will be battery farms to store energy when it is not needed for times when it is.  It's just a no-brainer.  This will propel the battery technology world-wide into better and more efficient, safer technologies.

In Japan, Honda and Toyota are working to have 160 hydrogen fueling stations supporting 40,000 fuel cell vehicles operating by 2021. Japan's national goal is to have 900 fueling stations

They also have a few fueling stations in California, thanks to Arnold S., when he was governor.

Tesla will have about 2000 Supercharging stations and 4000 destination chargers in the US by the end of 2019.  But these are only for business trips and vacations.  Most people need to be charging in their home garages for commuting to work.  This is the BIG difference between Fuel-Cells and Batteries.  Fuel-Cells cannot be recharged in your garage, but batteries can.  For most commuters, this difference is HUGE.  No stops for fueling anymore.  No hunting for cheap fuel.  Not captive to the whims of the oil and gas cartels.  Even tiny towns in the middle of Nevada that have no gas stations have AC power.  Total TRANSPORTATION FREEDOM!!!

Fuel-cells are an interesting alternative, but only as long as the hydrogen is made using renewable power.