Over inflated specs or what ?

acresm22

Re: Over inflated specs or what ?
« Reply #20 on: 1 Jun 2013, 06:07 am »
Any body remember the old Klipsch Horn speakers.  High SPL out of a horn and single driver.  Sounded like dookey though!

Don't know what K-horns you heard, but the one's I've heard sounded glorious with SET amplification. Metal horns and all...

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #21 on: 1 Jun 2013, 07:22 am »
Don't know what K-horns you heard, but the one's I've heard sounded glorious with SET amplification. Metal horns and all...

Yes, the colorations of the K-horns and SET mesh well.   :P

rjbond3rd

« Reply #22 on: 26 Jul 2013, 02:15 pm »
My experience with the K-horns has been surprisingly positive.  I think they are actually rated to 35hz (not that it matters).  It seems that a lot of people drive them with solid-state these days (not me though).

They are not flawless, but on orchestral, they can be incredible.  They have that "just breathing" sound that big horns have.  The dynamic range is just astonishing, and for some, it might be too much dynamic range.  I spent a couple years tweaking everything and that was a long road.

I am still using a little wideband ("fullrange") driver for non-orchestral, and of course it can do many things that the K-Horns can't (e.g., you can sit closer, they disappear on certain tracks, they image better, they have that sweet coherent sound that many people instantly love, and on many things, the tone is better, e.g., you simply cannot tell the difference between them vs. live sounds like phones, bells, knocking etc.)

tomytoons

« Reply #23 on: 26 Jul 2013, 05:14 pm »
Back to the Brentworth's for a minute.
I heard those exact same speakers way back in the 90's maybe not these exact but using an Art Audio Diavolo Integrated ($7k).
They sounded more than quite nice. For whatever that is worth.
I didn't know they were still around. They are made of a Corian material and quite heavy.