L. Cao 8" full rangers

acresm22

L. Cao 8" full rangers
« on: 9 Nov 2011, 01:13 am »
Has anyone listened to the L.Cao alnico 8" full range drivers? I see the U.S. distributor (?) has not offered them for some time, but you can still buy them on ebay shipped from China.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/L-Cao-alnico-matched-full-range-speaker-8-inches-pair-/320720175445?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item4aac698155

Also, I see Valab is now offering a Diatone clone for what seems to be a good price. Does anyone have any experience with these?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/300614113793?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

chrisby

Re: L. Cao 8" full rangers
« Reply #2 on: 14 Nov 2011, 11:00 pm »
Has anyone listened to the L.Cao alnico 8" full range drivers? I see the U.S. distributor (?) has not offered them for some time, but you can still buy them on ebay shipped from China.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/L-Cao-alnico-matched-full-range-speaker-8-inches-pair-/320720175445?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item4aac698155

Also, I see Valab is now offering a Diatone clone for what seems to be a good price. Does anyone have any experience with these?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/300614113793?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

yikes on the price

rjbond3rd

« Reply #3 on: 15 Nov 2011, 02:51 am »
The prices seem very reasonable to me.

Æ

« Reply #4 on: 15 Nov 2011, 04:07 am »

$349 and made in China! You must be joking? CHINA? If you want something Chinese, at least go with TangBand (Taiwan). W8-1808 is better than your pick and a hundred bucks cheaper. By the way, Neodymium crushes Alnico. Literally.

acresm22

« Reply #5 on: 15 Nov 2011, 04:29 am »
$349 and made in China! You must be joking? CHINA? If you want something Chinese, at least go with TangBand (Taiwan). W8-1808 is better than your pick and a hundred bucks cheaper. By the way, Neodymium crushes Alnico. Literally.

And this is based on your experience listening to the L.Cao drivers?

Æ

« Reply #6 on: 15 Nov 2011, 06:21 am »
And this is based on your experience listening to the L.Cao drivers?

No, it's based on my experience listening to TangBand. Hey, it's your money, spend it any way you want. Who am I to tell you not to waste it?

JohnR

« Reply #7 on: 15 Nov 2011, 07:56 am »
W8-1808 is better than your pick and a hundred bucks cheaper.

To be fair, the price on the L Cao is per pair ...

I also am mystified by your comment. You've heard/own and clearly like the TB drivers, but why exactly does that make these a waste of money?

srb

« Reply #8 on: 15 Nov 2011, 04:42 pm »
No, it's based on my experience listening to TangBand. Hey, it's your money, spend it any way you want. Who am I to tell you not to waste it?

I prefer A to B based on my listening experience to A.  I have not heard B.

Huh?

Steve

chrisby

« Reply #9 on: 15 Nov 2011, 05:21 pm »
The prices seem very reasonable to me.

that was in reference to the reissue Diatones, but  OK, never having heard any generation of an original authentic P610, they could well be worth $300/pair

at least that wasn't an insult for someone's  choice of a driver I've never heard

and whatever type of magnets are employed, that's but only one of a complex set of variables a driver designer needs to juggle - it could as easily be said that field coils are the only way to go

Æ

« Reply #10 on: 15 Nov 2011, 06:56 pm »
To be fair, the price on the L Cao is per pair ...

I also am mystified by your comment. You've heard/own and clearly like the TB drivers, but why exactly does that make these a waste of money?

Per pair? Oops my mistake. Well that certainly changes the equation, makes it a slightly better deal. I mean like who should ever pay an exorbitant price for a copy cat version made in China. Like all the other knock off merchandise they counterfeit. Make sure your ROLEX is really a ROLEX.
Anyway, the TangBand isn't a copy cat, it's the real deal. And if you have never listened to one, take the time to read the reviews, either way it's great.

acresm22

« Reply #11 on: 15 Nov 2011, 07:40 pm »
Well I don't think the L.Cao are cheap "copy cat" versions. The maker only says that he was after the sonic qualities of the Diatone. The L.Cao drivers certain look nothing like Diatone drivers, and the link to the diyaudio thread that wushuliu provided indicates some favorable impressions from Nelson Pass and others. I was just curious if any ACers had first-hand experience. And $350 (plus shipping) for an 8" alnico full range driver seems pretty darn reasonable to me.

As for the Valab Diatone clones, yeah, those are clearly trying to resurrect the Diatone look and sound. If they are successful in doing so (hence my original query about first-hand experience), they certainly represent a good value. I just watched a pair of Diatone PM610 drivers go on ebay for more than $620...

Interesting thing about those Valab drivers. That leather surround looks exactly like the leather surround on the Diatones that were offered in the Orgue speakers several years ago ( http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=53720.0 ). I wonder if they're coming from the same factory....

Æ

« Reply #12 on: 15 Nov 2011, 08:51 pm »
Well I don't think the L.Cao are cheap "copy cat" versions. The maker only says that he was after the sonic qualities of the Diatone. The L.Cao drivers certain look nothing like Diatone drivers,

Sonic qualities, yes of course. Making new paper cones sound like old paper cones, an incredible feat or a giant step backwards.
I looked at the Fr graph on eBay not all that impressive and if you look further, you'll see they had to add a contour filter to tame it!
« Last Edit: 15 Nov 2011, 10:17 pm by Æ »

BenjaminWebber

« Reply #13 on: 18 Nov 2011, 12:44 am »
AE, I would like to buy the magazines, if you still have them.  I registered a few days ago, but couldn't figure out how to get a hold of you!

Æ

« Reply #14 on: 18 Nov 2011, 07:53 am »
AE, I would like to buy the magazines, if you still have them.  I registered a few days ago, but couldn't figure out how to get a hold of you!

Hi,

You are supposed to reply under my post, in the for sale "Trading Post" section.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=100477.0

You can always communicate with other members via a personal message (PMs).

BenjaminWebber

« Reply #15 on: 18 Nov 2011, 03:01 pm »
Hi, I started out with your message in my email, but no way (I could see) to respond.  Whenever I click on your profile, I get a message that says, "Many apologies but you can't just see any profile."  I went to the page the ad is listed on.  Still no option given (to me) to respond.  Just print or mark as read.  Same thing when I go to the home page, and click on my one message.  It only gives me the option to remove the message.  No button to respond.  Hopefully this will change as time goes on!

Anyway, more that $20 for shipping is OK.  My zip is 98902.  I will try to respond to your next message "the right way."  If worse comes to worse, I guess I could post my email address in this thread.