Systemdek VII first upgrade suggestions

bycead

• none
Systemdek VII first upgrade suggestions
« on: 2 Apr 2022, 10:20 pm »
Hi folks,

I’m new on this forum. I have a stock Systemdek VII and am wondering what should be my first upgrade, tonearm or the wiring. I can’t afford both at this time.

Regards

roscoe65

Re: Systemdek VII first upgrade suggestions
« Reply #1 on: 2 Apr 2022, 11:08 pm »
I would use it as is.  It doesn’t make sense financially to upgrade the unit.  If you wanted to upgrade, I would trade it toward something like a Rega P3.

mick wolfe

« Reply #2 on: 3 Apr 2022, 05:28 pm »
Hi folks,

I’m new on this forum. I have a stock Systemdek VII and am wondering what should be my first upgrade, tonearm or the wiring. I can’t afford both at this time.

Regards

Depends on what arm is currently on the turntable. Unless there's a clear issue with the wiring, leave well enough alone. A classic "fool's errand".  Seems to be a fine deck as is if it was properly maintained. I'd just consider a new cartridge if you haven't already and a general tune-up/cleaning. Evaluate from there. If you feel the current arm is holding you back, maybe check out the newer Rega arms, but as already mentioned, there may come a time where it's simply more prudent to consider a new table.

Scott F.

« Reply #3 on: 4 Apr 2022, 05:40 pm »
Assuming you have a Rega arm, an offset counterweight makes for a nice improvement for not much cash. Next step might be the Audiomods arm mods.

https://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/audiomods_e.html

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175053132389?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28

simoon

« Reply #4 on: 14 Apr 2022, 09:24 pm »
I have one, with a Linn Basik + tonearm, that I do not use any more, but I upgraded the platter with a SRM TECH acrylic platter, and it made some nice differences.

Highs got less splashy sounding than with the glass platter, and the midbass became more defined.

http://srm-tech.co.uk/epages/4c008923-2265-416e-a207-cc9dd8b06028.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=Categories

I also upgraded the felt mat to better, generic mat I found on Ebay, for another small sonic upgrade. They can still be found there. Just search for Systendek upgrade mat.

You should also replace the sponge dampers in the springs with new ones. Some people claim that memory foam works great. I used foam designed for Linn Sondek. People on this sub-forum should have good recommendations. 

One more easy upgrade, which I did, but I am not sure I noticed any differences, but it is so easy and cheap, it might be a no brainer. Cover the inside of bottom cover/plate with some Dynamat or similar type of sound deadening material. It is supposed to make a small difference in low bass. YMMV. It is supposed to make a bigger difference with the plastic bottom plater, than the metal one. My TT has the metal one, so maybe that's why I didn't notice a difference.

I keep remembering more upgrades. SRM TECH also has damping rings that go around the outer edge of the platter. They work on glass and acrylic platters. They create a wave trap to improve dampening and lower resonance. They also may improve rotational stability.

bycead

• none
« Reply #5 on: 4 Feb 2023, 07:43 pm »
Apologies for the tardy reply, sometimes life get busy.
The unit is completely stock wiring and stock Jelco arm.

Appreciate all of the replies, I like the platter and dampening suggestions and will look at those items. I’m a Grado fan and found a gold cartridge to install, that will be sometime soon.

I was hoping to hear someone to mention any comments about higher quality Jelco arms. Any thoughts on this or am I waisting funds in this direction?

I currently run  either either refurbished units, a Citation Receiver (1977/78 era) and a Fisher 400 (1963 era) with most NOS tubes. These drive Tannoy SRM 15x’s that are re-coned, but stock vintage components in the crossovers. I found some timer delay relays some time ago, they should get an update as well. (Currently looking for someone in the Calgary or Edmonton who is competent to update/ upgrade the crossovers, but that’s down the road as well)

Thank you

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #6 on: 4 Feb 2023, 11:43 pm »
Jelco arms are some of the best quality/price arms out there... esp. the 370 and 750 series

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #7 on: 5 Feb 2023, 09:56 am »
Hi folks,

Regards
Dont fix what is not broken.

/mp

« Reply #8 on: 6 Feb 2023, 05:32 pm »
Do you have a record cleaning machine?

bycead

• none
« Reply #9 on: 14 Mar 2024, 07:29 pm »
Yes, I do have a record cleaning machine. I've cleaned many of my vinyls quite some time ago. Not sure if there is any set schedule to do this.