X-On Wall speakers for Height Speakers for Dolby Atmos

HT1278

Considering using X-Onwall speakers for overhead or height speakers for Dolby Atmos.

If also using X-Onwall speakers for real speakers as well firing at ceiling would this combination not be a good idea?

Vince in TX

Re: X-On Wall speakers for Height Speakers for Dolby Atmos
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2022, 03:36 pm »
Are you planning to aim those overheads at the listening position like an ATMOS speaker is supposed to do?  If so, I'm not sure they're designed for direct sound.   Danny mentioned in other threads that these are tuned for off-axis and would be harsh as a direct speaker.

I use four of the X-On walls as surrounds, and when there's no ATMOS content, the room still sounds full.   I keep them just above ear level so they don't directly conflict with the ceiling speakers.   For true ATMOS content, I have four in-ceiling speakers (Bowers & Wilkins CCM684).

HT1278

« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2022, 04:02 pm »
I was thinking of aiming 2 of them directly, like Atmos speakers.

Other than in wall, are there other recommendations for Atmos speakers that pair well with Danny's X series speakers?

Vince in TX

« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2022, 04:09 pm »
I was thinking of aiming 2 of them directly, like Atmos speakers.

Other than in wall, are there other recommendations for Atmos speakers that pair well with Danny's X series speakers?

Honestly, I would start with just the X-On Walls as surrounds.   You may be surprised at how well they fill the room.   You can always add overhead speakers later.

WGH

« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2022, 05:48 pm »
Atmos speakers create a spacious, diffuse soundscape above your head. If in-ceiling speakers are not an option or your room has a low ceiling like a basement then reflected sound is the next best option. The problem with Atmos speakers in a low ceiling is someone will be too close to one of the speakers and spotlighting will occur, which is distracting.

Dawn Gordon, a Triad Speaker dealer, installer and free consultant on AVS Forum, thinks 9' is the minimum ceiling height for direct firing Atmos speakers. Bipole speakers will sound better in ceilings lower than 9'. I have four Triad InWall Bronze/4 Surrounds in my 8' high ceiling, they are very expensive unless you find them on eBay like I did and at 84dB a high powered amp is needed. Fortunately they are always available. The early versions of this speaker are Dipole, reverse the polarity of the rear facing speaker to make them into Bipole which is the current configuration of the new speakers.

The RSL C34E MKII is also a well regarded ceiling mounted Atmos speaker.
https://rslspeakers.com/c34e-mkii-in-ceiling-speaker/

I still use the Vifa Surround Bipole speakers I built in 1995 as my rear height speakers. Helicopters go up the rear wall and over my head all the time, which is just about all Dolby Atmos is used for these days.

I flipped the Vifa Surround speakers upside down creating a huge sound field at the back of my room. Cabinet design was a meditation on angles.
And 8 drivers really fill up the back half of the room during action scenes.

Theronbo

« Reply #5 on: 25 May 2022, 05:33 pm »
If you want direct firing speakers - buy the X-Bravo.

Same drivers… but different crossover.

I mean it’s designed for direct fire… the X-on will sound really bright if direct fired.

I had this same issue. Bought 2 sets of X-on but only used one set as indirect… ended out purchasing crossover separately.

HT1278

« Reply #6 on: 25 May 2022, 11:06 pm »
The Vifa speakers look really interesting.  I am interested in Bipole speakers for center surround speakers.  I do not quite understand the drawing for the crossover.  I can solder, but I cannot read electrical schematics with only symbols.  Does anyone have any good sites to learn more about that?  Interested in learning where to get the speakers, and crosssovers from for the Vifa bipoles.   Or perhaps if I wanted to do this with GR Research drivers, and crossovers, would it be feasible to use 2 sets of drivers from the X-LS and then put them in a cabinet like that and use them as bipoles?  I am sure I am oversimplifying it. 

WGH

« Reply #7 on: 26 May 2022, 01:01 am »
The Vifa Bipole surround are fun speakers. The drivers are discontinued so someone with crossover modeling software will have to revise the crossover values using different drivers although similar drivers from Peerless (Vifa) are still available. Check out Peerless by Tymphany D27TG35-06 1" Silk Dome Tweeter at Parts Express ($29.19). The Madisound design was developed using an echoic chamber, Audio Precision measurement and Leap analysis.

Madisound changed the tweeter to the D27TG05, a 1” fabric high dispersion dome tweeter (the original was aluminum and probably shrieky and peaky). The 3.5 ohm tweeter resistor was changed to 5.5 ohms.
The Vifa M13SG09 woofer has a 5" (13cm) cast magnesium basket, high damping butyl rubber surround, poly doped, treated paper cone.

No cabinet plans, even experienced cabinet makers will scratch their head trying to duplicate the double trapezoid shape, there is only one right angle to use as a starting point. The tweeter magnets will touch if the narrow section gets too narrow. My custom woodworking business was 15 years old when I made those speakers, I recently sold my shop after 40 years.

The Madisound Vifa Catalog V10.vp has the driver specifications:
--> LINK <--

Here is a larger image of the speaker and crossover values
https://www.audiocircle.com/image.php?id=187122&size=huge

Theronbo

« Reply #8 on: 27 May 2022, 10:17 pm »
If you want direct firing speakers - buy the X-Bravo.

Same drivers… but different crossover.

I mean it’s designed for direct fire… the X-on will sound really bright if direct fired.

I had this same issue. Bought 2 sets of X-on but only used one set as indirect… ended out purchasing crossover separately.

Danny Richie

« Reply #9 on: 29 May 2022, 03:01 pm »
Atmos speakers create a spacious, diffuse soundscape above your head. If in-ceiling speakers are not an option or your room has a low ceiling like a basement then reflected sound is the next best option. The problem with Atmos speakers in a low ceiling is someone will be too close to one of the speakers and spotlighting will occur, which is distracting.

This is the exact advice I give people that are interested in trying to install an Atmos system. They need tall ceilings and really 10 feet or more.

I also don't recommend bi-polar speakers. They typically just scatter sound around the room creating peaks and holes in the response.

The X-On Wall can be mounted to the ceiling, but they need to be mounted to the ceiling and aimed at the side or back wall just as if it were mounted on the wall aimed at the ceiling. 

HT1278

« Reply #10 on: 29 May 2022, 04:56 pm »
My cielings are 8' 9".

My room is 15' x 30' dimensions. 

I am going to just have a 5.2 speaker system and not do Atmos or sides. 

So far I have built the cabinets for X-LS fronts, X-CS center, and the X-Onwalls for the rear.

Excited about getting the drivers to finish the speakers. 

My current reciever is a Marantz NR1403
Thank you everyone for the information.

Danny Richie

« Reply #11 on: 31 May 2022, 01:24 pm »
Good plan.