Alternative to the Outlaw 976 pre-pro at lower price?

dareelbo

I currently have an Outlaw 975 for my home theatre surround.

I'm looking to upgrade to an Outlaw 976 pre-pro or something similar at decent price(around $1000 or less).
(Wanting the added XLR outputs, extra channels and sub channel, more modern HDMI than the 975, HDMI ARC, eARC would be a great extra if possible.)
Just looking for 5.1 right now, but 7.1 or 7.2 may be in the cards later.
Something low profile would be great also.
HDMI ARC is essential because I want to use the TV to control the volume and hide the unit away behind something in my entertainment system.

Other than Outlaw 976 I've seen:
IotaVX AVX1. Nice and small and gets the job done with little frills.
Also have seen the Marantz units. But most are really big and very expensive(1500+?).

Anyone have any suggestions for items that are out now or that would come out soon?

Thanks!
-bo

WGH

Re: Alternative to the Outlaw 976 pre-pro at lower price?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jul 2021, 11:34 pm »
I really liked my Outlaw 975 but then it died. I contemplated getting it fixed but didn't feel comfortable fixing a 7 year old out of date processor. So I was in the same situation as you, what to replace it with? My budget was the same as yours.

I read tons of reviews and comparisons, my conclusion was affordable surround processors sound mediocre at best. Sure everyone have their favorite imported brand but then another review disses it.
Rule #1: if 50% of the reviews are good and 50% of the reviews are bad... then it is bad.

The only products that consistently received excellent reviews are made by Anthem. I bought an Anthem AVM 60 and after 2 years I am consistently amazed and thrilled by it's performance and sound, comparing it to my old Outlaw would be like comparing my 2012 Ford Focus to a BMW M3. The AVM 60 is discontinued with the AVM 70 taking it's place at a higher price, there are plenty of used AVM 60's available, check out Hi-fi Shark. The Focus cost me only $500 more than a new AVM 70 and it gets much better mileage than the M3 although harder to find in a Trader Joe's parking lot.

Anthem units have great clarity without getting harsh or bright at high volumes, dialog is a lot easier to understand. Bass management is excellent and the ARC room correction blends the volume and frequency response of the surround speakers to main speakers for a seamless home theater experience.

The IOTAVX AVX1 looks like an interesting unit, do they have a US distributor? A real PITA if you have to send it to the UK for service. The unit is currently out of stock, it could be another victim of the chip shortage.

A Outlaw Audio Model 976 7.2 recently appeared in the Trading Post. $750. It has one inquiry already.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=177198.msg1865224#msg1865224

There is an Anthem MRX-520 for sale on the Trading Post. $850 + shipping. The unit has pre-outs if your amps are better than the processor's internal amps.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=177129.msg1864737#msg1864737

But after hearing both the Outlaw and Anthem sound the MRX-520 would hands down get my vote.

Doublej

« Reply #2 on: 13 Jul 2021, 12:30 am »
According to their website the 976 has been discontinued.

artur9

« Reply #3 on: 13 Jul 2021, 02:33 am »
Does it have to be new?  There are great used bargains out there. 

The big-box-retailer brands push new technology so hard and fast that older units that still work fine are considered obsolete.

dareelbo

« Reply #4 on: 13 Jul 2021, 04:23 am »
I'm ok with used. Any recommendations welcome.
I don't think Iotavx has a US distributor unfortunately.
I'll look into the Anthem 60 units.
The Anthem 70 is gorgeous and the specs look awesome, but $4k is steep.

Digi-G

« Reply #5 on: 13 Jul 2021, 01:01 pm »
Finding a decent Home Theater pre-pro for that price will be challenging, at least new.  I'm using a Denon model from a few years ago that I would NOT recommend, although it's within your price constraints.

I keep looking at the Rotel RSP-1576MKII, but it lists for $3500 new.  The MKII is the newer model with upgraded connection specs (USB/ HDMI).  I can't seem to find many reviews on it though.  Not sure what they go for used but it's a newer model so finding a used unit might be tricky.

Anyone have any experience with it?

WGH

« Reply #6 on: 13 Jul 2021, 07:20 pm »
The interior of the Rotel RSP-1576MKII looks similar to the Anthem AVM 60, both use a toroidal power supply. The Anthem AVM 60 toroidal transformer is similar to the transformer they used in their top of the line MRX 1120 AV Receiver. The main difference is the Rotel has a USB input to play 2ch stereo PCM music files up to 24-bit/192kHz and a phono input (!). The Anthem units have XLR outputs but no USB input. The Anthem's have both optical and coax inputs with an audiophile grade 32-bit / 768 kHz DAC although I never gave mine a serious listen since I have an excellent pre-amp and DAC.

Rotel RSP-1576MKII ($3499.99)

Anthem AVM 60 ($1800 used)

The new Anthem AVM 70 for comparison ($3499.99)

The Anthem AVM 60 has HDMI 2.0a, the Rotel and Anthem AVM 70 both have HDMI 2.0b which supports Hybrid Log Gamma. HLG is designed for broadcast cable, satellite and live TV, my 60" Panasonic plasma doesn't support HLG. HDMI 2.0a supports HDR10 and Dolby Vision which is used for streaming (Netflix, Amazon Video, etc.), disc (4K Blu-ray) and video games.

artur9

« Reply #7 on: 14 Jul 2021, 03:16 am »
I'm ok with used. Any recommendations welcome.
$1K is tough.

I managed to get a Pioneer Elite VSX-52 for next to nothing.  No XLRs.   I don't use the amps in it except for the 2 rear channels.

I have fond memories of my Cary Audio Cinema 11.  Unfortunately, that has no HDMI.  There's a 12 on ebay that does have HDMI.  It's $1400.

I was using my OPPO 203 for a processor with an HDMI switcher for a while, before I got the Pioneer.