Zone 2 help

Rushca01

Zone 2 help
« on: 22 Sep 2020, 09:13 pm »
Working with a friend on his home theater setup. 

We want to use the receiver amp to run the h/t and use zone 2 to run a signal to a separate room with up to 6 ceiling speakers.

The receiver he has is burying has l/r pre out for zone 2, how do I connect that to a multichannel amp to run the 6 speakers in the other room? 

srb

Re: Zone 2 help
« Reply #1 on: 22 Sep 2020, 11:58 pm »
As Zone 2 is a stereo output, I assume you are wanting to power 3 stereo pairs.  Most people doing that use a multichannel zone amplifier like those available from Parasound, Rotel, Niles, Russound, etc.  These amps have the ability to bus or link channels together to use the same stereo input.

Of course if you had 4 identical stereo speaker pairs, you could wire them in a series-parallel configuration to present a load equal to the impedance of a single speaker, and drive them all with a stereo amplifier (with of course no option to have level adjustments between pairs).

Some receivers can only output analog signals to their Zone outputs, so be sure to check the particular receiver to see if digital sources are also sent to Zone 2.

Rushca01

Re: Zone 2 help!
« Reply #2 on: 23 Sep 2020, 11:38 am »
Thank you, wiring in parallel-series seems to make the most sense.  I should be able to use 3 speakers for one channel and 3 speakers for another channel.  According to the owners manual, digital sources including on board Spotify play in a combination of main room, zone 2, and zone 3; either all at once our separately.

AZWINK

Re: Zone 2 help
« Reply #3 on: 6 Jan 2021, 01:53 pm »
I use Elan amps for my 2nd and 3rd zones, using “bus” inputs to feed a stereo input to 24 channels of speakers throughout house and backyard.

Dan