Classical music with a Impact

mclsound

Classical music with a Impact
« on: 18 Jul 2009, 05:17 pm »
hi guys,
i have recently took up clasical and have found that FALLA:Spanish Dance on Telarc SACD Sampler #4 is a arrangement that has IMPACT ,soft,deep,agressive,will shake a room,and so this is what i am after,any recommendations??      SACD only thanks
john

Randy

Re: Classical music with a Impact
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jul 2009, 09:12 pm »
Try this.  Make sure you get the SACD version. Telarc has/had a nasty habit of simultaneously releasing Red book version without a SACD layer.  You may be able to get a new one cheap at Berkshire Record outlet. Google them and make a search. Click (Advanced search and find a drag down menu listing labels by name. Go to Telarc and look for it or just search "Turina."

http://www.amazon.com/Turina-Fantasticas-Sinfonia-Sevillana-Procesion/dp/B00005R1K1/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1248296984&sr=1-3

Berkshire has it. $4.99. Look here: http://www.berkshirerecordoutlet.com/search.php?row=0&brocode=&stocknum=&text=Turina&filter=all&cd=1&submit=Search

Randy

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jul 2009, 05:09 am »

Try the two guitar concertos of Rodrigo on this disc. I have several other versions, but this SACD is no doubt outstanding.

http://www.amazon.com/Rodrigo-Concierto-Aranjuez-Hybrid-SACD/dp/B0002O390M/ref=pd_krex_fa_img_dp_img

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 23 Jul 2009, 05:47 am »
Nothing, and I mean nothing, has more impact than Mahler.  Check out Fischer on SACD:

mclsound

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jul 2009, 04:03 pm »
thank you gentlemen
i will seek out.
john

Thebiker

« Reply #6 on: 3 Aug 2009, 12:45 am »

This Reference Recording of Rachmaninoff's Symphonic Dances should fit the bill.  It is the Minnesota Orchestra conducted by Enji Oue.

Last time I was shopping for speakers, this was one of the recordings that I used for overall dynamics....it has it all.  Excellent recording of an outstanding performance.

Walt

jimdgoulding

« Reply #8 on: 29 Aug 2009, 11:49 pm »

This Reference Recording of Rachmaninoff's Symphonic Dances should fit the bill.  It is the Minnesota Orchestra conducted by Enji Oue.

Last time I was shopping for speakers, this was one of the recordings that I used for overall dynamics....it has it all.  Excellent recording of an outstanding performance.

Walt
Another stupendous recording of this is by The Dallas Symphony on Athena Records.  Probably out of print but worth finding out.  It was re-released on CD by another label (?) which I have but it isn't convenient.  It doesn't have near the life and dynamics of the original.  Thebiker's Reference Recording and the Minnesota sound like is good pairing. 

Randy

« Reply #9 on: 30 Aug 2009, 03:22 am »
Jim, I had that Dallas recording of the Symphonic Dances when it came out on Lp back in the 60s on the Turnabout label. They did a series of what were then great sounding recordings, including a Copland collection, and one of Ives, Three Places in New England. Great stuff. The Turnabout label in those days was a budget label and only cost maybe $1.98 per disc at Discount Records in Ann Arbor where I would have gotten it. They were among the first recordings that used the first version of Dolby encoding to cut down on the tape hiss.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #10 on: 30 Aug 2009, 05:24 am »
Jim, I had that Dallas recording of the Symphonic Dances when it came out on Lp back in the 60s on the Turnabout label. They did a series of what were then great sounding recordings, including a Copland collection, and one of Ives, Three Places in New England. Great stuff. The Turnabout label in those days was a budget label and only cost maybe $1.98 per disc at Discount Records in Ann Arbor where I would have gotten it. They were among the first recordings that used the first version of Dolby encoding to cut down on the tape hiss.
Good man.

JackD201

« Reply #11 on: 30 Aug 2009, 04:52 pm »
Try this

http://www.concordmusicgroup.com/albums/60039/

and this

TCHAIKOVSKY: Symphony No. 6 in B Minor, Op. 74 "Pathetique;" Serenade for Strings in C Major, Op. 48 - Royal Philharmonic Orchestra/ Daniele Gatti - Harmonia mundi Multichannel SACD

Scottdazzle

« Reply #12 on: 30 Aug 2009, 05:02 pm »

Randy

Then there's Shostakovich.
« Reply #14 on: 31 Aug 2009, 03:33 pm »
Most of his symphonic music has impact in spades. You might start with the Sym. # 1, the 5th, then the war symphonies 7 and 8. If you have never heard the finale to the 5th, you are in for an experience. There's a complete set of his symphonies out there on Capriccio SACD with Dimitri Kitajenko conducting you may be able to find at a bargain price.

no1maestro

« Reply #15 on: 8 Sep 2009, 10:05 pm »
I just wanted to add another to the list of music with impact. I have many recordings of "Sleeping Beauty" but I came across a rather rare one which I find so different from the standard ones that I must mention it. It is on the BBC Music label (CD) which is only availiable with the magazine. This performance is by the BBC Phil with Vassily Sinaisky conducting. It uses a score which includes piano, doubles harp and adds bass drum to spots in which I have never heard before. I love Sinaisky's tempi and approach which sounds fresh and "impactful" to me. Anyone else familiar with this recording?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #16 on: 8 Sep 2009, 11:15 pm »

... and if you want to go nuts with impact, this vinyl is available DBX encoded! It is already dynamic, but with a DBX unit you can crank the expansion even more!!!!!!

guest46813

« Reply #17 on: 11 Sep 2009, 12:48 am »
There are a;sp Mussorgsky Pictures at an Exhibition with Byron Janis and Dorati/Minneapolis SO on Mercury Living Presence and Carlos Kleiber conducting Beethoven 5th on DG (the Japanese CD issue is very nice).