BDP-1 vs MacBook

headshrinker2

BDP-1 vs MacBook
« on: 23 Aug 2011, 03:10 pm »
Greetings all,
I currently use a Macbook Pro running Pure Music Software to play hi-rez files through my BDA-1 DAC.  I am using a Wireworld Supernova 6 Mini glass optical cable.   

There are no local Bryston dealers where I can audition the BDP/BDA combo.  Nearby cities have Bryston dealers, but they do not have BDP in stock for audition.  What's a customer to do?

I love Bryston gear and the BDP-1 has been receiving such great reviews recently.  But, I am still wondering if the BDP-1 will outperform a Mac based source?  If I understand things correctly, the BDP-1 is essentially a well-tuned and optimized computer in a slim chassis.  Lots of folks already have computer based sources.  Will the BDP-1 outperform them?  At least in my opinion, this is a critical question that tons of customers must be wondering. 

Or would I need to add an asynchronous USB converter (e.g. HiFace Evo, or Halide Bridge) to my MBP to match level of performance to BDP-1?

I would love to start seeing users and reviewers squarely address these comparisons and questions.  Especially since the local and home demo is almost dead, I think more customers would then be likely to give give new products a try.

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
Re: BDP-1 vs MacBook
« Reply #1 on: 23 Aug 2011, 04:23 pm »
Headshrinker2, I'll add you to the growing list of audio consumers for whom the demo is dead. Bought another piece yesterday without a demo, but would have liked one.

Not knowing about Mac out connections, but if you are saying you connect your Mac to the optical input of the BDA, then you would find that balanced or SPDIF connections are usually preferable. And the USB connection from a computer is the least preferable.

I bought my BDP-1 without a demo and didn't regret it in the least. Indeed, this was one of the best things I've ever bought. But I went through the same kind of thing you seem to be doing - thinking how I could use my computer files, obviating the need to convert and move to a hard drive to be attached to the BDP-1. Then I stopped and remembered that the whole point of the BDP-1 was NOT to use a PC or a Mac, but rather a piece of equipment that does not need to suffer the degradations in sound that inevitably come from running signals from computers to high end audio equipment.

If you're looking for advice, for what it's worth, here is mine:

If you have confidence in Bryston equipment, which many people do (including me), and you have the money, buy the BDP-1 even without the demo, buy a large hard drive, convert your files to AIFF and copy them to the drive. Then hook up the BDP-1 to an ethernet connection. And if you have any extra cash, buy an iPod Touch or iPad - install mPod or mPad, crank everything up and be prepared for a thrill.

You might even find that unless you are doing business work on your Mac, you just might end up seeing it gather dust, as my notebook is no doing.

Dave

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 23 Aug 2011, 04:47 pm »
If in the US and no dealer close by, at least there is Audio Advisor now.  About 7-8 years ago I bought a lightly used 6BSST (which I still use on the center and rears) and then shortly thereafter a lightly used 14BSST.  I did not have a local dealer where I could audition them.  Even now my local dealer (which I don't visit as often as I used to) does not carry a ton of Bryston stuff.  He has a preference for another brand that is a large percentage of what he carries.  Then he complains about the Bryston warranty that someone can buy used and he thinks the warranty should only be good if sold through an authorized Bryston dealer.  So it is a Catch 22 - you can't audition things there and if you grab it used it annoys him.  That's part of the reason I don't go in there as much.  As James notes, the demo is everything and my system is the point that anything major is going to be something I can at least go to listen to.  I do understand the state of the economy and a dealer can't carry everything.  It does make it tough on a consumer as well.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #3 on: 23 Aug 2011, 05:15 pm »
Where are you located?

I believe you could always buy the BDP-1 through Audio Advisor and have 30 days to return it.

This isn't exactly the comparison you asked about, but over the weekend I compared the BDP-1/BDA-1 combo against a Windows based laptop running Foobar2000 feeding an Antelope Zodiac Gold DAC + Voltikus power supply via USB. 

I'll post a more detailed account of what we heard and my friend's system later, but for now I'll say that the majority of the time we both preferred the sound of his system when using the Bryston combo.

Sometime in the near future I will be lending my BDP-1/BDA-1 combo to Ted_b for a comparison with his upgraded Mac Mini and  Antelope Zodiac Gold DAC + upgraded PS.

George

headshrinker2

« Reply #4 on: 23 Aug 2011, 10:05 pm »
Thanks for the replies everyone.   I really look forward to reading user feedback and reviews that address these kind of comparisons:

(1) BCD-1 vs BDP-1/BDA-1
(2) BCD-1/BDA-1 vs BDP-1/BDA-1
(3) Mac/iTunes optical out vs BDP/BDA-1
(4) Mac/Pure Music optical out vs BDP/BDA-1
(5) Mac/Pure Music/(USB to Spdif converter)/BDA-1 vs BDP/BDA-1

I'm all about the sound.  Don't get me wrong, I love my Bryston gear!  But I'm looking for user feedback and/or reviews that discuss what the BDP-1 brings to the party.  As the BDP-1 is essentially an optimized computer within a thin enclosure, I am trying to figure out if there is a reason to invest in a new purchase when I may already have a comparable digital audio source. 

While we are waiting for more specific and thorough magazine reviews, perhaps the Bryston audiocircle community can help fill in the gaps?  If the BDP-1 outperforms other digital sources (as I'm hoping it does), this product should be extremely successful. 

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
« Reply #5 on: 23 Aug 2011, 10:55 pm »
I have no way of commenting on your first and second requested comparisons, but I hope James will jump in on the comparisons with inputs from computers. As I understand the BDP-1, one of its design goals was to play digital files in order to avoid adding a computer to the signal chain because it can degrade that signal. If that is correct, then the BDP-1 will play files better than anything outputted from any computer.

James, can you help here?

Dave

Phil

« Reply #6 on: 24 Aug 2011, 12:08 am »
Conventional wisdom regarding using a computer in the audio chain seems to be:  use a mac mini, reduce the programs and other code (or have it done for you) and, lastly, run it on batteries. 

Since I didn't have a mac, buying a computer to reduce it to an audio-appropriate machine seemed to be the long way to get to audio nirvana.

Of course, this doesn't answer your basic question regarding the use of a MacBook, but perhaps the Audio Advisor 30-day policy is the way to find out by placing the unit in your own system.  Personally, I believe cables do matter and getting an apples-to-apples comparison might be hard.  Then again, if you simply love the BDP-1, you have your answer.  Good luck in your quest.

Phil

larevoj

« Reply #7 on: 24 Aug 2011, 08:15 am »
Here are my take and I have heard all configuration below and all powered by Bryston electronics.

(1) BCD-1 vs BDP-1/BDA-1
-> BDP-1/BDA-1

-> BDP-1/BDA-1

-> BDP/BDA-1

-> BDP/BDA-1

-> Heard both setup but not in same location. However, I do like what I heard in both locations. I  would recommend BDP/BDA-1 simply its value for money as the combine cost of a good mac setup would cost more and the BDP is a well thought out straight forward solution.

headshrinker2

« Reply #8 on: 24 Aug 2011, 04:00 pm »
larevoj,
Thanks for the reply. Very helpful.  Did you keep your Wavelength Wavelink USB to SPDIF Converter? Or no longer needed? 

Here are my take and I have heard all configuration below and all powered by Bryston electronics.

(1) BCD-1 vs BDP-1/BDA-1
-> BDP-1/BDA-1

-> BDP-1/BDA-1

-> BDP/BDA-1

-> BDP/BDA-1

-> Heard both setup but not in same location. However, I do like what I heard in both locations. I  would recommend BDP/BDA-1 simply its value for money as the combine cost of a good mac setup would cost more and the BDP is a well thought out straight forward solution.

larevoj

« Reply #9 on: 24 Aug 2011, 04:16 pm »
larevoj,
Thanks for the reply. Very helpful.  Did you keep your Wavelength Wavelink USB to SPDIF Converter? Or no longer needed?

I started computer music and invested on the mac (plus all the tweaks you can google about) and the wavelink before the BDP-1 came about. By then I have already put in quite a lot of effort to get it right and it has already exceeded the price of BDP-1 (marginally). It would be a waste if I were to switch so I went all the way and got myself a linear PSU from Paul Hynes which cost as much as the Mac Mini itself!

The SQ you get from a max out computer based system is very good but cost much more versus BDP-1. If I were to start all over again or if I have not put in so much money on the Mac based system I would take the BDP-1 without any hesitation. I have heard it played in various resolution tracks and it is amazing...unfortunately I don't have both system in the same room to give a definitive conclusion but I do remember clearly that I was very impressed by the BDP-1.  :)

pimandro

« Reply #10 on: 24 Aug 2011, 05:14 pm »
 Hello, I have assembled a pc with windows n-lite and RME card, then I switched to MiniMAC  with pure music, now sold out and use with great satisfaction the bdp1.
When I used the optical output MiniMAC was not my favorite, with BNC hiFace I had a great improvement.
I was lucky enough to make a comparison between Mac and bdp1 and differences was truly remarkable, after hearing the sound of machine bdp1 the mac  was annoying.
Obviously this is' just my experience I do not pretend that it is valid for all.
Sorry for my bad English.

headshrinker2

« Reply #11 on: 24 Aug 2011, 07:07 pm »
pimandra,
Thanks very much for the reply.  How was the sound of the BDP-1 better than your MacMini? 

Hello, I have assembled a pc with windows n-lite and RME card, then I switched to MiniMAC  with pure music, now sold out and use with great satisfaction the bdp1.
When I used the optical output MiniMAC was not my favorite, with BNC hiFace I had a great improvement.
I was lucky enough to make a comparison between Mac and bdp1 and differences was truly remarkable, after hearing the sound of machine bdp1 the mac  was annoying.
Obviously this is' just my experience I do not pretend that it is valid for all.
Sorry for my bad English.

pimandro

« Reply #12 on: 25 Aug 2011, 07:46 am »
Too much time is past when the differences can not remember exactly but as I told you to compare the sound of the mac was annoying, I think the Bryston DAC is a great product (even for the price tag) but like all of the DAC has defects, when using bdp1 all defects disappear Bryston DAC, are like two pieces of a puzzle that fit together.
However, since I bought the bdp1 I abandoned all forums of computer audio and follow audiocircle only to be informed of any updates bdp1.
P.s. The defects were bdp1 long waiting times and poor interface compared to "remote" and now they are all resolved with Is the mpad (on IPAD) is a show for me much better than "remote"

pardales

« Reply #13 on: 25 Aug 2011, 05:47 pm »
This seems like the right thread for me to get advice on my situation and whether I am a candidate for  moving from an Apple computer set-up to the BDP-1:

I've been using various Mac's as my music server since 2004. I now have an iMac running the latest Pure Music software. I am interested in trying a digital music player like the BDP-1 to see if I can experience an improvement over using a full blown computer.

I have 80% of my music ripped in ALAC and the rest in AIFF (maybe a handfull of AAC files). All my music is on one hard drive (which is backed up). So with the BDP-1, I would plug my music hard-drive into the BDP-1, and then could use my iPod touch to control selection of my music -- understanding that I have to download an appropriate app that interfaces with the BDP-1. I would connect the BDP-1 to my DAC via a BNC to RCA digital cable since my current DAC does not have a BNC connector.

Okay, what am I missing?  :scratch:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #14 on: 25 Aug 2011, 06:08 pm »
This seems like the right thread for me to get advice on my situation and whether I am a candidate for  moving from an Apple computer set-up to the BDP-1:

I've been using various Mac's as my music server since 2004. I now have an iMac running the latest Pure Music software. I am interested in trying a digital music player like the BDP-1 to see if I can experience an improvement over using a full blown computer.

I have 80% of my music ripped in ALAC and the rest in AIFF (maybe a handfull of AAC files). All my music is on one hard drive (which is backed up). So with the BDP-1, I would plug my music hard-drive into the BDP-1, and then could use my iPod touch to control selection of my music -- understanding that I have to download an appropriate app that interfaces with the BDP-1. I would connect the BDP-1 to my DAC via a BNC to RCA digital cable since my current DAC does not have a BNC connector.

You nailed it.

Is your HD an extrenal drive with a USB connector?  If not, you would need one.  The BDP-1 only accepts USB connections, not eSATA or Firewire.

George 

pardales

« Reply #15 on: 25 Aug 2011, 06:47 pm »
You nailed it.

Is your HD an extrenal drive with a USB connector?  If not, you would need one.  The BDP-1 only accepts USB connections, not eSATA or Firewire.

George

Yes, it is an external USB drive. I just thought about this but what about my files? Does the BDP-1 play ALAC files or am I looking at a having to do a conversion?

headshrinker2

« Reply #16 on: 25 Aug 2011, 06:58 pm »
Pardales,
Clearly you need to order a BDP-1... compare it to your Mac server.. and report back to us! :D

What DAC have you been using?  Do you plan on using a BDA-1/BDP-1 combination?

How have you connected your Mac to your current DAC?  Have you tried an asynchronous USB to SPDIF converter?

jjc1

« Reply #17 on: 25 Aug 2011, 06:59 pm »
Yes, it is an external USB drive. I just thought about this but what about my files? Does the BDP-1 play ALAC files or am I looking at a having to do a conversion?
  The BDP plays almost all files. Check with James about ALAC.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #18 on: 25 Aug 2011, 07:02 pm »
Yes it will play Apple Lossless and AIFF.

james

srb

« Reply #19 on: 25 Aug 2011, 07:06 pm »

The BDP-1 supports ALAC file playback.  Some users have avoided ALAC with the BDP-1 only because the artwork does not show up if the ALAC files got the artwork from iTunes online database lookup.

For some reason, iTunes stores all downloaded artwork in its own database (even though ALAC format supports storing it in the file header itself).  You can either use a third-party metadata tagging program to embed the artwork in the file or copy and paste the artwork back into the artwork window in iTunes which will then store the artwork in the file.  If the artwork was originally obtained by dragging or copying into the artwork window (instead of the online lookup), then it will already be stored in the file.

Steve