Upgrading to 4B SST SQ and MPS2 Power Supply OR 14B SST SQ

werd

Re: Upgrading to 4B SST SQ and MPS2 Power Supply OR 14B SST SQ
« Reply #20 on: 31 Jul 2009, 10:12 pm »
Werd - Did you remove the jumper in the BP25 ???

The mps1 is really a transformer in a box all the hard work is done within the BP25.....

This is why I would be hesitant about going for the mps2, mps2 schematics are not on the bryston site so I cant check what it might offer (nor is the mps1 but I have had those in the past)

The MPS2 is visually better suited to the 26 range..........

Have you ever moved the mps2 away from the direct vertical line of your kit? That might also offer an advantage.

IF going for the 14B option I would try and steer you towards a pair of 7B's instead - there are reasons why this is a better option. I am considering selling my 14B to go towards a pair of 7B's

I do agree that power upgrades are well worth doing (as long as they are upgrades)

I use a mains filter system for every amp, without question this improves audio reproduction. I also filter mains to all other items in the audio chain, different filter systems but works well.

I am UK based so Torus is not a well known product here, UK based firms have moved away from transformer based filters to go to chokes, I have kept with transformer based products modified for balanced power (not allowed in the UK for normal use mains)

I mentioned using a 4B to bi amp as this was in the original posters options to buy list, the options were mps2 and 4b sst sq  or 14B sst sq, So my concept to bi amp with the first option and keeping existing I hope is suited to the situation and got the mps2 that werd also mentions. I will accept werd's thoughts on this as I never went for the mps2.

Andy.

Hi Andy

I have am currently using my mps1 with my bp25 as a comparison to the mps2. Its important to mention that the Torus rm-20 is in play. I have to admit that the mps1 is very capable little power supply for the bp25. It lacks a bit of air around the instruments and still has a bit of the dry soundstage that it's criticized for, but it is really negligible. The mps2 does sound like its a bigger supply as the ambience and low level retrieval is more musical. How ever i can see how people might like the mps1 better than the mps2, especially on a blind test back and forth.

Again its important to state the rm-20 here. I think the mps2 was designed with wall power and makes compensation for it in its design. The Torus shrinks the differences between the two powersupplies considerably. Without the Torus(or something comparable) its a no-brainer the mps2 is the victor by a long shot.