Recommended Audio/Video Cards

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« on: 14 Apr 2009, 07:25 am »
hi, all!

i thought this might be a good idea, cause most of us are using their computer to listen to their music. some are already owning a BDA-1, SP1...SP2 and some will get a SP3. so these units deserve good audio/video sources, right?! and it could be useful for everyone who has in mind to create his own computer.

so far i found two cards that could be interesting:

-Auzentech X-fi hometheater HD 7.1 with HDMI 1.3a, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD.
- ESI Juli@ with balanced ins and outs (analog), good for AC3 and DTS, playback and recording at 44.1, 96 and 192 khz.

i haven't tried them. but reading the specs they promise good results.

al :green:

« Last Edit: 14 Apr 2009, 01:22 pm by alexone »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Recommended Audio/Video Cards
« Reply #1 on: 14 Apr 2009, 11:44 am »
Good idea for a thread Al. 

I have the STEREO MAudio 192 and the Lynx AES16E cards so far that I am trying and there are differences in sound.

james

Moon Doggy

« Reply #2 on: 15 Apr 2009, 07:00 am »

I have the STEREO MAudio 192 and the Lynx AES16E cards so far that I am trying and there are differences in sound.

james

James,

What are the differences in sound between the 2 cards? I'm looking for a sound card myself.

regards, James S

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 15 Apr 2009, 10:30 am »
Hi James,

The MAudio card sounds a touch more dynamic but more forward and a little brighter on the very top octaves.

The Lynx sounds smoother with a more laid back sound and the soundstage is deeper with no sense of hardness on the top.

The frustrating part is that on some kinds of music I prefer the MAudio and on others the Lynx :duh:

james

alexone

« Reply #4 on: 15 Apr 2009, 12:02 pm »

james

James,

the Lynx supports Windows as well as Mac, correct?

did you try the card with both software systems and if so- did you notice any (significant) difference in sound?

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 15 Apr 2009, 12:09 pm »

james

James,

the Lynx supports Windows as well as Mac, correct?

did you try the card with both software systems and if so- did you notice any (significant) difference in sound?

al.

Hi Al,

So far I have only used PC on the sound cards.  I have listened to Itunes and Media Monkey on both sound cards.  I also have a MAC Pro system which I use for Itunes.

james

Moon Doggy

« Reply #6 on: 15 Apr 2009, 05:19 pm »
Hi James,

The MAudio card sounds a touch more dynamic but more forward and a little brighter on the very top octaves.

The Lynx sounds smoother with a more laid back sound and the soundstage is deeper with no sense of hardness on the top.

The frustrating part is that on some kinds of music I prefer the MAudio and on others the Lynx :duh:
james

Thanks James.

My son is building a music server for my system but the big decision is which card to get. Maybe I can demo... the M-Audio is certainly a bargain $-wise compared to the Lynx. The Lynx seems to be getting a few more recommendations but that maybe because people think the bigger the $ the better the card.

James S

Moon Doggy

« Reply #7 on: 28 Apr 2009, 11:22 am »

So far I have only used PC on the sound cards.  I have listened to Itunes and Media Monkey on both sound cards.  I also have a MAC Pro system which I use for Itunes.

james

I found that using i-Tunes for playback degrades the sound on my Mac when I run optical out to my DAC. I use VLC for playback and set the Audio MIDI to 24 bit 96 kHz. And my CD/DAC verifies that its upsampling a 24 bit/ 96 kHz input. Sounds nearly as good as CD playback... others thought as good. And no exotic sound card used. Altho I will probably try that as well! :)

alexone

« Reply #8 on: 28 Apr 2009, 06:17 pm »

...for everyone who is interested in the new ''Auzentech X-fi home theater HD 7.1'' card:

Windows Vista is required for high resolution audio output!!!!!!

you guys should visit Auzentech's website and check out the card's specs. very interesting!  :drool:

al.

werd

« Reply #9 on: 28 Apr 2009, 06:21 pm »

...for everyone who is interested in the new ''Auzentech X-fi home theater HD 7.1'' card:

you guys should visit Auzentech's website and check out the card's specs. very interesting!  :drool:

al.

Hello everyone

I am just curious. This is an actually question , why would we need a sound card if we are using the Bda1?  :scratch:
I am not  computer savy. Also does anyone know if the SRC- secret rabbit code sampler is compatible with 64 bit vista?

Thanx

alexone

« Reply #10 on: 28 Apr 2009, 06:34 pm »

al.

Hello everyone

I am just curious. This is an actually question , why would we need a sound card if we are using the Bda1?  :scratch:
I am not  computer savy. Also does anyone know if the SRC- secret rabbit code sampler is compatible with 64 bit vista?

Thanx

Werd,

a soundcard like the new Auzentech might be interesting for comparing the outputted audio signal. but much more interesting is the card's ability to output the HDMI 1.3a standard (blue ray, etc...).
i agree with you that the BDA-1 is a great performer, no doubt!
and excuse me for this question but what is the ''Secret Rabbit Code'', please? :roll:

al.

werd

« Reply #11 on: 28 Apr 2009, 07:08 pm »

al.

Hello everyone

Thanx

Werd,

a soundcard like the new Auzentech might be interesting for comparing the outputted audio signal. but much more interesting is the card's ability to output the HDMI 1.3a standard (blue ray, etc...).
i agree with you that the BDA-1 is a great performer, no doubt!
and excuse me for this question but what is the ''Secret Rabbit Code'', please? :roll:

al.

Its a Sample rate converter used with foobar and i suppose other players. It can up or downsample rates on the fly.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 28 Apr 2009, 07:53 pm »

al.

Hello everyone

Thanx

Hi werd,

The reason you want a Sound Card is because the quality of the audio circuits on a typical computer mother board are sadly lacking.  Also computer sound cards are generally limited to 48K/16Bit. Some 0f the new Mac's can do 96/24 but to do 176/24 and 192/24 you have to go to a specialized sound card with specialized software.

james

yyz

« Reply #13 on: 29 Apr 2009, 12:01 am »
Just to clarify for some readers if they are still wondering if they need a good sound card. For the following system I do not need to use a sound card.

My current stereo system :( consists of my Vista PC (32-bit), Modded Slim Devices Squeeze Box, Benchmark DAC1 (Bryston DAC could be substituted here), and AudioEngine 2 speakers (self-powered).

All my tunes are in FLAC format and I stream them from my PC to my Squeeze Box which then sends the 1 and 0's to my DAC connected directly to the tiny speakers. The speakers are the weakest link but the rest of the audio chain is good as it gets for a computer system.

When I had my old speakers (Revel Salons) the chain was Vista PC, Squeeze Box,  the Benchmark DAC to my Preamp (BAT VK-42SE) which was connected to my Bryston 7B-SST's. The sound was a 9/10 for me. It was not as good as my modified Sony SCD-1 player but it was 90% there.

I only added this reply because when I was first setting this up I was also wondering where the sound card fits into the picture. My sound card is not connect to any speakers.

Moon Doggy

« Reply #14 on: 7 May 2009, 04:18 am »
Another highly recommended soundcard is the RME Hammerfall DSP 9632. About $650 US. Some say better than the pricey Lynx L22 at $850 US+... or the Lynx AES16 or the AES16e @ about the same $. Will be demoing in a month or 2 and will post a report.

Cheers, MD

alexone

« Reply #15 on: 5 Jul 2009, 08:07 pm »
folks,

according to the Auzentech website they will release the ''X-fi home theater 7.1'' soundcard at the end of july :drool:.  if that's the truth then i will be able to assemble my new computer pretty soon :hyper:

al.

racerxnet

« Reply #16 on: 5 Jul 2009, 09:03 pm »

? on: April 14, 2009, 07:25:56 AM ?

* Reply with quoteQuote

hi, all!

i thought this might be a good idea, cause most of us are using their computer to listen to their music. some are already owning a BDA-1, SP1...SP2 and some will get a SP3. so these units deserve good audio/video sources, right?! and it could be useful for everyone who has in mind to create his own computer.

so far i found two cards that could be interesting:

-Auzentech X-fi hometheater HD 7.1 with HDMI 1.3a, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD.
- ESI Juli@ with balanced ins and outs (analog), good for AC3 and DTS, playback and recording at 44.1, 96 and 192 khz.

i haven't tried them. but reading the specs they promise good results.

al :green:

Are you looking for 5.1 or 7.1 playback of audio? If not I would suggest a used RME sound card as has been suggested. For 2 channel playback it is a happy medium between sound quality and cost. Has ASIO native support, DTS passthrough and the drivers are stable. Another that I tried was the Audiotrak 7.1 HiFi which also has native ASIO support. Unless you have a surround processor I would not think the SQ would be that good with the on-board DACS of the card for surround sound playback.

On another note: Slysoft will be providing a free HD player that will bitstream HD audio for FREE!!!! There will be no need for the HDMI connection the day it is released. Of all the forums I frequent, there have been nothing but bottlenecks in the process for most with HD audio output. I've owned both Power DVD and TMT, they both were a pain in the a&&. Slysoft will allow HD bitstreaming on XP, Vista, and Win7 in the near future. Some say that the time and expense of HD audio is not worth the effort as the SQ is not as great a difference as expected.

I have the SRC from mega nerd, using ASIO @ 88.2 sample rate to my Tri Vista 21 and Like it. Sound card is RME 9652, with BNC terminations and a true 75ohm cable. Foobar .083 is my preference for audio playback. Another to try is Cic's Player which uses the SRC from Mega nerd or SOX for sample rate conversion. I believe the SNR for both SOX and SRC are greater than 145db.

There is no specialized software for 192k sampling other than the DAC chipset supporting this rate as well as driver implementation support. Audiotrak 7.1 Hi Fi supports 192k sample rate and the RME only supports 96k. Foobar will support whatever sample rate per the ASIO drivers as well as Cplay.

For the highest and most accurate video playback I found the MadVR 10 has been the best. You can download it at Doom9/software players. If you are not savvy about filter priorities, you may struggle as it requires YV12 output  to the renderer. MPC-HC has support for MadVR at this time. I'm sure Mr. Mad can chime in here as I see him occasionally at AVS in the CRT forum. With MadVR and anyDVD running this has the best software PQ of all players I have tried.

HDMI will be obsolete when Slyplayer is released. Double your money by folding it in half and sticking it in your pocket. I commend them for their excellent products that relieves me of RIAA/industry constraints for fair use. Please note that I refer to Slysoft for HD audio from Blueray/HdDVD Playback only. For Hi Res downloads from HDtracks etc., None of this matters for playback other than the soundcard, DAC chip-set, and driver support.

Just my.02

MAK

alexone

« Reply #17 on: 7 Jul 2009, 08:56 pm »
hi, racerxnet!

thanx for your input.
the best solution would be a card that can do both 5.1/7.1 and stereo playback at a high quality level. knowing that the 'X-fi home theater' card is perfectly made for blu ray makes it interesting for me. there are a lot of nice cards out there so i think i will try some more in the future...
and if they don't sound good enough in stereo...i still have my Bryston babies here to do these things right :thumb:.

al.