Cable Discussions: Please be Polite and Respectful. Thank you.

jethro

When discussing cables  (or any other subject) please be polite and respectful.

Thank you.

planaria

My copy of the Britannica discusses cables in the context of Maxwell's equations. These show that reducing inductance can be achieved only at the expense of increasing capacitance, and vice versa. More specifically, LC is constant for a given cable.

Britannica goes on to point out that speaker cables should minimize inductance, and stylus pickup cables should minimize capacitance. The Goertz speaker cable site discusses empirical measurements of various geometries of speaker cable.

What the theory does not illuminate is the fact that some components are too bright (e.g. digititis), and a little high frequency filtering does the system no end of good. Even so, I prefer to design my own RC filters with non-magnetic, low inductive resistors and styrene or teflon caps. That way I know what is being subtracted and can adjust it.

I also see dielectric absorption as a large issue, so I prefer to use only cables with Teflon dielectric. Connectors can also be designed to have low capacitance and inductance, e.g. Eichmann, WTB.

Hope this helps.

jethro

Hi planaria:

We were having some heated threads in this circle regarding cables so I made this
sticky to act as an announcement only. I didn't think to lock it. That said,
thank you for your clear and helpful post. I'm going to lock this thread but please feel
free to start another thread.