ROON - What exactly is it?

ttsto

Re: ROON - What exactly is it?
« Reply #20 on: 8 Jan 2016, 07:17 pm »
More like Sqeezelite...
As I understand, ROON is a expensive server application that runs on Windows or MAC (forget for now NAS or LINUX based PC) pretty much similar to Squeezebox server and the development transforms BDP into a client.

garyalex

« Reply #21 on: 8 Jan 2016, 10:54 pm »
You are missing the point, but that's okay. It's not for everyone.

Roon, IMO, is the best UI for music playback and music library management. Puts a wealth of online information at your fingertips about each album, tags, organizes, and integrates Tidal seamlessly into your music library. They've just added integration with Squeezebox systems and HQPlayer.

I think the discussions about it not having high-end audio quality are BS.

In any case, many think that HQPlayer is THE software for best sound, so that also takes care of that.  Good hardware doesn't in anyway "take out" the need for Roon. Roon is UI and playback software, so it isn't competing with HW.

If you don't value what Roon brings to the table, I can't argue with you. It does cost $, and that puts some people off.

I thought that one of the prime selling points for Roon is that it provides a simpler way to discover new music.  I tried it just for that reason.  I ultimately decided not to keep it but I do see some value in the many links it provides in the context of what you're listening to at the moment.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #22 on: 8 Jan 2016, 11:21 pm »
I still have a Sonos connected to my BDA-2. Sonos does NOT have anywhere near the quality of my BDP-2, but the convenience and simple, intuitive user interface keep it a staple in my system. It doesn't hurt that Sonos can use almost any streaming service available as well as my own music library (NAS-type storage).

If Roon can do all that using the BDP-2 as the player AND not lose quality, I'd have to strongly consider it. While the BPD's output quality is top notch, the interface isn't something my wife can/will use, nor will it (currently) allow easy access to streaming services for casual listening.

Unfortunately, as others have pointed out, Roon provides very little information without an initial credit card and free 2 week trial (not the hallmark of good, trustworthy business IMO). Thus, I don't know if Roon will:
  • change the quality of audio production
  • run on a NAS/server
  • access other streaming services (Pandora, Spotify, etc)

I'm kinda waiting on what others post in this thread.

mca

« Reply #23 on: 8 Jan 2016, 11:59 pm »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #24 on: 9 Jan 2016, 05:15 am »
Hi!

Okay, I am a bit lost here. Is Roon now being implemented into BDP software as an alternative to MPD?

One other thing - is Bryston planning on integrating a parametric EQ system into the BDP?

Cheers!
Antun

Hi Antun

No MPD will stay but when you activate ROON it does not use MPD.

No plans to add EQ - EQ causes more problems than it solves.

james

firedog

« Reply #25 on: 9 Jan 2016, 07:43 am »

Unfortunately, as others have pointed out, Roon provides very little information without an initial credit card and free 2 week trial (not the hallmark of good, trustworthy business IMO). Thus, I don't know if Roon will:
  • change the quality of audio production
  • run on a NAS/server
  • access other streaming services (Pandora, Spotify, etc)

I'm kinda waiting on what others post in this thread.

I think there's a vast amount of information out about Roon, including video and screenshots. I'd bet you also have an aquaintance or an audio dealer nearby who can show it to you. The CC thing bothered me also. They told me that as a new company they were required to do this by their content (metadata, liner notes, etc.) providers who Roon pays royalties to for use of the data. I don't fully understand that - I think it means the other companies were somehow afraid they weren't going to be paid, but that's what Roon told me - that basically weren't given a choice in the matter if they wanted to release their product.

The release of RoonSpeakers is going to mean that audiophile companies can provide customers with an extremely good UI without investing time in building their own, probably inferior UI. Again, I think you will find that integration to Roon with RoonSpeakers will become very widespread by server and streamer companies in the coming months.

In answer to your 3 questions:

1. IMO, no.
2. Not presently. They may have a NAS version in the future, not one of their priorities. They are working on a Linux version. If you use a Windows PC or a Linux PC in the role of a NAS, (as I do), then the answer is yes.
3. So far just Tidal integration. I'm guessing one reason for that is that Tidal provides CD quality downloads (soon to have higher than CD quality) and not just mp3.

One of the main selling points of Roon is its  GUI. A streaming service or other partner will need to have their service integrated into the Roon GUI for Roon to integrate it. From Roon's POV, that makes a lot of sense. Not every provider is willing to do that. The advantage of this approach with Tidal, for instance, is that your albums in your Tidal account appear automatically in Roon in the same manner as the albums in your own digital library. The integration is smooth and full. It's as if Tidal is part of your personal library, not a separate service.

scirica

« Reply #26 on: 9 Jan 2016, 07:53 am »
^^^ Good post

Marius

« Reply #27 on: 9 Jan 2016, 03:08 pm »
Hi,

So Roon will be a very nice interface to one's library, and online service(s). Albeit an expensive one. 119 py For a user interface. (add 240 py for Tidal hifi ....)
of course its up to each to decide whether the interface is worth this pricing.

Another question i would have is on security. If Roon surfes the net for extra info on one's library, how would we know this is done in a secure and privacy-respecting way. Seems a goldmine for the vendors, knowing all about one's listening behavior and preferences. Other more serious concerns are conceivable.

Any info on that available?

Cheers,
Marius

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #28 on: 10 Jan 2016, 07:18 pm »
I finally had a chance to watch the video and better understand what Roon can do. In the video, the author shows how Roon can be used to correct metadata problems. When a Roon user makes those corrections though, is it just to Roon's imported copy of the metadata, or does it correct the metadata stored in the music file?

Also, can Roon be used off-line for locally stored music files, or does it need to access an internet connection continuously?

Finally, can anyone explain HOW it works with the BDP? Can Roon stream/play music via the network connection, or is this only to control a computer connected to the BDP via USB?

I'm trying to scan through the Roon forums for this information now, so if I find any of it before my free time runs out, I'll post the answers.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #29 on: 10 Jan 2016, 07:40 pm »
It seems Roon sees audio devices plugged into computers with Roon installed as the server. The possible exception is Meridian audio devices?

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/what-audio-devices-are-supported-by-roon/489

Am I correct in thinking this post is outdated (May 2015) and Roon now supports OTHER audio devices, which is what the Roon support in the BDP is? If so, Roon will identify the BDP as a DAC/playback device via my home network? And if THAT is the case, will Roon locate music stored on devices connected to the BDP?

Sorry for all the questions. I if I had more free time to make use of the 2 week trial, or was able to download a Roon manual and read it first, I'd be able to check into all these things myself.

cmarinsr

« Reply #30 on: 11 Jan 2016, 12:52 am »
Finally, can anyone explain HOW it works with the BDP? Can Roon stream/play music via the network connection, or is this only to control a computer connected to the BDP via USB?

Hi Grit,

You'll have to install the latest beta firmware implementing the Roon Labs RAAT (Roon's network transport protocol). After installation, go to the Service section in MM and activate the service. Install Roon Software on your computer. After installation, go to Settings->Audio and, assuming that the service is running on your player, you'll see an option to enable playback for Bryston BDP-2 (in my case). Do that! Now you can select the BDP as Roon endpoint (audio zone) and enjoy the music. You can control playback from your computer or tablet app. I use an iPad Air (check iPad compatibility list on Roon Forum).

Warning: During installation you'll be asked to configure Tidal and if you want to import the Essentials category. If, yes, Roon will copy several hundreds albums into your Favorite Albums in Tidal and bring them in your local library (no physical copy, but rather a link pointing to the album location in Tidal). It took me a long time to get read of all that...

Hope this helps!

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #31 on: 11 Jan 2016, 08:05 am »
Thanks, that helps tons! I just need to follow up with a post on the Roon forums about running Roon on Windows Server!

Marius

« Reply #32 on: 11 Jan 2016, 01:58 pm »
HI,

Since the MM Album view on the BDP1 is of use only up to a certain library size (about 50000?), i disabled it on my BDP1. Leaving me a rather bare interface, as we all know MM to be. I was wondering if Roon on the BDP1 wouldn't be hampered by a larger library. Anyone of you early adopters have any experience on that aspect? Is it any good on the BDP1 or does it need the same amount of extra memory and processor power the BDP2 provides.

Thanks for sharing if so.

Cheers,
Marius

cmarinsr

« Reply #33 on: 11 Jan 2016, 02:20 pm »
Hi Marius,

As far as I know, library management happens on your computer, so you should be fine...

Carmen

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #34 on: 11 Jan 2016, 04:15 pm »
I believe Carmen is right. The computer that is running Ron as a server would be your limiting factor.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com

gustavog

« Reply #36 on: 13 Jan 2016, 03:17 am »
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/01/what-the-gosh-darn-heck-is-roon-ready/

james

This would be bliss:

"The next step, already in its early stages, is to allow third party manufacturers to host the library management portion of Roon on their own music servers – that’s Roon Core."

Is that something on the road map for Bryston, for the next geeration BDP?

The Roon UI beats anything else in the market. I am already sold. But SQ wise, a BDP sounds better with attached storage (at least to my ears).

Servingthemusic.com

« Reply #37 on: 13 Jan 2016, 03:17 am »
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/01/what-the-gosh-darn-heck-is-roon-ready/

james

Thanks for the link.

Used it all day with the BDP-2. Impressive on some fronts.

Without the option for a folder view, it is not for me.  Best of luck to them.

Servingthemusic.com

« Reply #38 on: 13 Jan 2016, 03:21 am »
This would be bliss:

"The next step, already in its early stages, is to allow third party manufacturers to host the library management portion of Roon on their own music servers – that’s Roon Core."

Is that something on the road map for Bryston, for the next geeration BDP?

The Roon UI beats anything else in the market. I am already sold. But SQ wise, a BDP sounds better with attached storage (at least to my ears).
I think too many people are dazzled by the slick and pretty interface.

I do think it is a very interesting product, but it forces you to conform to their world view.

I don't buy in to this approach. It is a more luxurious iTunes in my opinion.

If they implement folder view and more options for transcoding, I will be on board.

scirica

« Reply #39 on: 13 Jan 2016, 04:31 am »
I think too many people are dazzled by the slick and pretty interface.

I do think it is a very interesting product, but it forces you to conform to their world view.

I don't buy in to this approach. It is a more luxurious iTunes in my opinion.

If they implement folder view and more options for transcoding, I will be on board.

This is a curated view of music. Sounds like you want JRiver. God Bless you then.